The Chainlink

Hey there, fellow cyclists!

As the chainlink's membership approaches an astonishing 6,000--that's 12,000 wheels--I would like to ask how you feel about the website as a whole. It's been 3 years since the chainlink began bringing Chicago's cyclists together, so a time of reflection is in order. How has your life changed since becoming a member of this online community? Have you learned about new bike paths, or made lifelong friends? Have you recovered a stolen bike, learned maintenance tips, etc? What is your favorite part (section) or aspect of the website? 

Also, I'd like to take a moment to introduce myself--I'm a cyclist, singer, and writer going to UIC for education. the chainlink has definitely benefited my life as a cyclist, so I'm curious to see how it's impacted yours.

Thanks! 

Views: 678

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've met sooooo many amazing people.  

I remember one of the first things I learned from users on the site was how to get grease out of clothes. Thread started September 25, 2008!

I think a few of the chainlinkers might have more than 1 bike. 12,000 wheels plus.

Helped me bike through 2 Winters!!

I've learned a lot in the short time I've been here.
What a great way to complain about bicycle related stuff and meet some smarta$$es.

re-connect with some old faces, and meet many many new ones.

makes me wish this had existed when I first started riding in the late 20th century! LOL

After 7 years of riding 6 full time and 20+ years of biking through various cities I've lived in this group is the best.

I've met a lot of cool people who I probably would not have met otherwise.  I've found a great tool for exchanging ideas and information.  It's been great for publicizing events and campaigns to a wider audience.  I've learned about issues I might have otherwise missed.  It's really enhanced my biking life.

I have also gotten a lot of great information that helped me bike through last winter for the first time (yippee!!). But the most valuable thing for me has been the ongoing conversation about the advisability of following the Rules of the Road. For what it's worth, through both argument and visible example, Chainlinkers have convinced me to ride in traffic like a motor vehicle (with some minor modifications for left turns). Frankly, this has made my bike commute much easier and more enjoyable since I don't have to engage in a running internal debate on every ride. Thanks for the tips!

Until The Chainlink came along, none of us had any idea that the bike community was so big, diverse and vibrant. You have really help that community come together.

Thanks to The Chainlink, all of us are putting the rubber of those 12,000 - plus - wheels to the road much more often. Well done!

Julie! Thanks so much for this--I thought I had ruined some clothes for good. :)

Julie Hochstadter said:

I've met sooooo many amazing people.  

I remember one of the first things I learned from users on the site was how to get grease out of clothes. Thread started September 25, 2008!

This is true. :)

Ace Mann said:
I think a few of the chainlinkers might have more than 1 bike. 12,000 wheels plus.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service