The Chainlink

I just got a bike work stand from Velo Orange, and based on some minor chores that I completed last night in the workshop, this is the best purchase that I have made tool-wise in 2009.

In light of the media bombardment of best of lists, what is the best bike related tool that you have either used or purchased in 2009?

Views: 453

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I picked up this Italian made torque wrench/bit set to work on the new carbon fiber parts, now if I could only pronounce the name

http://www.rei.com/product/777544
$150-180 at most shops.

Michael Millican said:
How much is the Minoura stand, I couldn't find a price

J said:
Pedro's Vice Whip. Replace chain whips forever. Maybe a little spendy for the home mechanic, but a new standard for shops.

I'm a little surprised by the popularity here of the Park home stands. I stopped carrying them this year after enough bad feedback (ie they are wobbly compared to tripod style and the clamps eventually stop working)...

I know they are not for everyone, but I have completely switched to the new Euro style stands for races or when I need to go portable. For those who like Park, the PRS-20 is easily available -- but I prefer the Minoura 1500. The dang thing is under 6 pounds, folds down to nothing, and is easy to use and very very stable.
got the nashbar elite tool kit on sale for $90 this summer, has worked out nicely, love my pedros tire irons, and epic ride from white lightning has been great all winter.
Simichrome Metal Polish

I started using some Simichrome with an old t shirt Wow it really cleaned up some old parts for the Raleighs. I was able to really shine up some VERY tired looking aluminum and chrome parts.

I got it from Velo Orange. I recommend this if you are doing a clean up or resto on something this winter.
Does that Velo Orange stand really hold a bike with any stability? I see your post was a few months ago, how has the little thing held up since?
While I never bought that as a work stand---and am not the OP--- I do own about four of them. It is really no more than a "no kickstand, but want to store a bike upright over there" item. That said, I like them a lot for that purpose.

Daniel Alexander said:
Does that Velo Orange stand really hold a bike with any stability?
I think I put this on the what did you get for Christmas thread but I should also add it here.
My big gift from my family for Christmas was a Park Tool BX-1 Tool Case. This thing has been a life safer for working on my bikes. I don't have a tool bench or any space to keep my tools out so this case works quite well. I just place it on a collapsable table I keep in my storage area and it's like I have my own workbench with quick access to all my tools. So much better than having to dig through the old toolbox I was previously using.

I also finally got around to buying a Digital caliper.
Amazes me how often I use this.

My bike shop at home is fairly complete so I've not purchased any tools in several years. I'm a bit surprised at how many folks like the Park work stands, I don't have such affection for them. Years ago when it was still made by Ultimate Support, I purchased a work stand that is basically this stand http://www.feedbacksports.com/products/pro-classic_repair_stand.aspx

Damn stand is fantastic. I guess my second favorite tool would be my Park TS-2. Paid for itself a long time ago.
Have to agree with you. I got it for Christmas and it's been amazing. Also got a Topeak Prep Stand Max. It's been excellent for the little jobs. It folds up and fits in a bag. It's quite light, enough so I can ride with it on my back easily.

Ryan L said:
Completely forgot about my new road pump!!! I also have a Topeak Road Morph pump and it kicks ass. Makes changing a flat away from home easier than ever.
http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/protoolsuper.jpg

eai track tool....the best tool in my bag

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service