The Chainlink

So a lot us like our beer and coffee, and ride all over the city trying places out. Well, sadly, I am super addicted to those two but my trinity is completed with cupcakes and sweets. So to further my knowledge who in your opinions has the best? Where should I bike to next? Blue city cycle said no to Ace and said go west for doughnuts at Bridgeport bakery. What say you!

Views: 470

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really like Hoosier Mama Pie Company on Chicago.

mmmmmmm

Bang Bang Pie! on California between Milwaukee and Armitage.

The first three above are good choices.  I go often.  Also try Glazed and Infused donuts (various locations).  For some of the best pastries, go to Floriole on Webster.  The apple fritter at Old Fashioned Donuts on the far south-side is worth a long ride (for me) once in a while.  Delightful Pastries is good too (paczkis!).  The beignets at Jimmy's Pizza on Lincoln at Foster are great, as are the ones at Big Jones on Clark, which is across the street from Swedish Bakery.  As you might have guessed, I share your interest :)

Southport Grociery make a great gluten free cupcake.

Glazed & Infused donuts. Sugar Bliss cupcakes on Wabash near Washington. Also Flirty cupcakes on Taylor St right next door to Tuscany!

Well, if you are ever traveling through Kalamazoo/Battle Creek you must stop at Sweetwaters Donut Mill.........I have driven 3 hours to get a box of donuts and some beer and food at Bell's Eccentric Cafe and Brewpub.

Rudy's on Roscoe has some killer chocolate covered cake donuts.....as does Leonards in Northbrook.

Bittersweet Bakery on Belmont-chocolate peanut butter torte

Oooooh, yes, Sweetwater's are my favorite donuts ever! A friend of mine in Detroit went to school in K'zoo and told me about them many years ago, and I stop there at least once every time I drive past K'zoo.

Dave Grossman said:

Well, if you are ever traveling through Kalamazoo/Battle Creek you must stop at Sweetwaters Donut Mill.........I have driven 3 hours to get a box of donuts and some beer and food at Bell's Eccentric Cafe and Brewpub.

Rudy's on Roscoe has some killer chocolate covered cake donuts.....as does Leonards in Northbrook.

I was going to mention Old Fashioned Donuts but someone beat me to it, best apple fritters in Chicago (closed Sundays).  Dat Donut on the south side is pretty good too, I know they have one in Beverly. 

Dinkel's on Lincoln in Lakeview is pretty good, been around 80 + years.

In Berwyn you have Vesecky's (Czech).  Great Kolachy and pretty much everything else.

Roser's in Humboldt Park.

Dats Donuts, as Jared mentioned, is very good, so good that they deserve more discussion. In my opinion they are have perfected the old fashioned donut. So full of crags, so rugged and softly crunchy on the outside, so soft and fluffy on the inside. Truly the best Old Fashioned I have ever had (I eat a lot of donuts). So very highly recommended.

Also good, but in a different way, is The Vault near The Merch Mart. Here I would recommend just the regular glazed donut. I don't know if thy do old fashioned donuts there, we go for the soft, pillow-like, cushions of deliciousness that are their yeast donuts.

Both places are very good.

Old Fashioned (Roseland) and Dat (Chatham) both have amazing, enormous apple fritters for modest prices.  Unfortunately, the Dat location in Morgan Park (111th St.) has closed.  :(

If you're anywhere near Beverly, get yourself to Jimmy Jamm and try some of their fabulous cakes and pies.  

Jared said:

I was going to mention Old Fashioned Donuts but someone beat me to it, best apple fritters in Chicago (closed Sundays).  Dat Donut on the south side is pretty good too, I know they have one in Beverly. 

Dinkel's on Lincoln in Lakeview is pretty good, been around 80 + years.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service