The Chainlink

As the title suggest, I thought  we could use this thread as a way to post open invitation training rides. This Sunday, I'm doing a lakefront ride:

Map:    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5841901

Start: Buckingham Fountain

End: Buckingham Fountain

Start Time: 9am

End Time: 11:30-noon-ish

Pace: I'd like to keep around a 14-18 mph pace


Description:

It's just simply riding the lakefront in it's entirety. It equates to about 36 miles + whatever miles it'll take to get to Buckingham and back (for me 42 total miles). Weather looks like crap for Sunday (chance of rain - 40 degrees) - from my experience training for marathons, I've found crappy conditions only make me stronger.

Views: 2030

Replies to This Discussion

St. Mary's to Everett rd to Sanders/Saunders or to Sheridan rd. SB may be a good alternative.

 

Got my FVP brevet card!

I may do a longer ride from Andersonville to Ft. Sheridan this Saturday, but it would have to be super early, as my wife planned stuff in the afternoon.

It's supposed to rain a bit on Sunday, too, but I wouldn't mind a ride if it's not too bad out. Trying to get as many 'last ditch effort' miles in before next Saturday.

I'd be up for Saturday...I may tag on an extra 20 miles or so at the end as I was planning to do 80 miles this weekend. When I did this ride 2 weeks ago I left at 9:15 and was back in downtown Chicago by 2pm including a 30 minute stop at a coffee shop in Wilmette to warm up. Let me know and I'll scuttle my plans to do a variation of Duppies ride (http://goo.gl/maps/TIVub).

Got my FVP brevet card!

 

I may do a longer ride from Andersonville to Ft. Sheridan this Saturday, but it would have to be super early, as my wife planned stuff in the afternoon.

 

It's supposed to rain a bit on Sunday, too, but I wouldn't mind a ride if it's not too bad out. Trying to get as many 'last ditch effort' miles in before next Saturday.

Nice meeting you last friday Spencer.  The route looks really cool, I would like to go out but alas I must study.  I may sneak a 30 mile ride down the lake front early saterday, but we will see. 

Way to go Jim, lets hope it will not be rainy.
 
Jim S said:

Got my FVP brevet card!

I may do a longer ride from Andersonville to Ft. Sheridan this Saturday, but it would have to be super early, as my wife planned stuff in the afternoon.

It's supposed to rain a bit on Sunday, too, but I wouldn't mind a ride if it's not too bad out. Trying to get as many 'last ditch effort' miles in before next Saturday.

Lucky for us, accuweather is predicting almost 70 (!!) degree weather for that day. If it is indeed 70 degrees, I will not mind an afternoon shower that is also predicted.

Deet 4.5mi said:

Way to go Jim, lets hope it will not be rainy.
 
Jim S said:

Got my FVP brevet card!

I may do a longer ride from Andersonville to Ft. Sheridan this Saturday, but it would have to be super early, as my wife planned stuff in the afternoon.

It's supposed to rain a bit on Sunday, too, but I wouldn't mind a ride if it's not too bad out. Trying to get as many 'last ditch effort' miles in before next Saturday.

I would probably have to leave earlier than that. I know 7 or 8AM is super early for a weekend ride, but I only have about 4 hours or so to allocate. I'm trying to squeeze in 100K (I'm now thinking of heading further north than Ft. Sheridan and turning back before the trail goes in to Waukegan.)

spencewine said:

I'd be up for Saturday...I may tag on an extra 20 miles or so at the end as I was planning to do 80 miles this weekend. When I did this ride 2 weeks ago I left at 9:15 and was back in downtown Chicago by 2pm including a 30 minute stop at a coffee shop in Wilmette to warm up. Let me know and I'll scuttle my plans to do a variation of Duppies ride (http://goo.gl/maps/TIVub).

Got my FVP brevet card!

 

I may do a longer ride from Andersonville to Ft. Sheridan this Saturday, but it would have to be super early, as my wife planned stuff in the afternoon.

 

It's supposed to rain a bit on Sunday, too, but I wouldn't mind a ride if it's not too bad out. Trying to get as many 'last ditch effort' miles in before next Saturday.

There is some construction around W. Algonquin Rd in Algonquin, where sections of FoxRiverTrail is closed or digged up. If you guys do that ride, prepare a detour to avoid part of the trail between Willow St & S. Main St, or be ready for some off road climbing & bike lifting :) Even for that, you will probably need a map unless you are familiar with the area.


spencewine said:

[snip] ...Duppies ride (http://goo.gl/maps/TIVub).

Here is the ride I'm planning on doing this Saturday:

http://goo.gl/maps/SwhGJ

82 miles from Kankakee, IL back to the city.

My Fiance is working an ER shift in Kankakee  this Saturday at 7am, so I'm going to hitch a ride with her out there and ride back to the city via the Kanakakee River Trail, Wauponsee Glacial Trail, Centenial I&M with the final stretch being some street riding. I have an extra spot on the bike rack if anyone can be at my apartment at 5am (I live in West Town). I'm guessing 5am might be too early for most, but if not, don't let the fact that I'm a stranger asking you to get into a car hold you back ;)  Message if interested for details.

14 -17 mph pace, if conditions on paths are less than ideal, that number will drop significantly.

Weather: Chance of rain with winds being favorable (coming in from the South and/or West).

Hi there,

Your route includes a section I've considered for riding into the city - but having driven that section in a car it looks somewhat scary traffic-wise. It's the section where 26th Street jogs under the BNSF tracks twice and morphs into Ogden Ave.

What's that stretch actually like on a bike? This stretch seems like a prime candidate for some cycling-friendly improvements, given the dearth of east-west cycling options in that area....

Eric Peterson


spencewine said:

Here is the ride I'm planning on doing this Saturday:

http://goo.gl/maps/SwhGJ

82 miles from Kankakee, IL back to the city.

My Fiance is working an ER shift in Kankakee  this Saturday at 7am, so I'm going to hitch a ride with her out there and ride back to the city via the Kanakakee River Trail, Wauponsee Glacial Trail, Centenial I&M with the final stretch being some street riding. I have an extra spot on the bike rack if anyone can be at my apartment at 5am (I live in West Town). I'm guessing 5am might be too early for most, but if not, don't let the fact that I'm a stranger asking you to get into a car hold you back ;)  Message if interested for details.

14 -17 mph pace, if conditions on paths are less than ideal, that number will drop significantly.

Weather: Chance of rain with winds being favorable (coming in from the South and/or West).

I just checked that section out in streetview and it looks a bit hairy, but it's a wide road with a shoulder and it's a short section, so I'm thinking it won't be too bad, hopefully - I'll report on it here. The part that I'm a little worried about is Willow Springs Rd/Gilbert Rd/ Plainfield Road as on google maps it looks like a fast 2 lane highway with a little shoulder (better than none). Anyone have experience with those roads, are they busy thoroughfares or Sunday driver roads?

Hi there,

Your route includes a section I've considered for riding into the city - but having driven that section in a car it looks somewhat scary traffic-wise. It's the section where 26th Street jogs under the BNSF tracks twice and morphs into Ogden Ave.

What's that stretch actually like on a bike? This stretch seems like a prime candidate for some cycling-friendly improvements, given the dearth of east-west cycling options in that area....

Eric Peterson


spencewine said:

Here is the ride I'm planning on doing this Saturday:

http://goo.gl/maps/SwhGJ

82 miles from Kankakee, IL back to the city.

My Fiance is working an ER shift in Kankakee  this Saturday at 7am, so I'm going to hitch a ride with her out there and ride back to the city via the Kanakakee River Trail, Wauponsee Glacial Trail, Centenial I&M with the final stretch being some street riding. I have an extra spot on the bike rack if anyone can be at my apartment at 5am (I live in West Town). I'm guessing 5am might be too early for most, but if not, don't let the fact that I'm a stranger asking you to get into a car hold you back ;)  Message if interested for details.

14 -17 mph pace, if conditions on paths are less than ideal, that number will drop significantly.

Weather: Chance of rain with winds being favorable (coming in from the South and/or West).

Willow Springs Rd. / Gilbert isn't bad, Plainfield Rd. is pretty tight & can be busy.

I'd take Willow Springs further N. to Cossitt then E. on Cossitt / Shields to Dubois.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service