The Chainlink

A Wilmette woman is in custody after she hit a car, a woman on a scooter and a cyclist Sunday in north suburban Evanston.

Evanston investigators say the path of destruction began around 10:00 a.m., after the suspected driver hit another car on the corner of Ridge Avenue and Davis Street.

Authorities say the 63-year-old woman fled the scene and crashed into several parked cars at Chicago and Keeney.

Police say the woman continued driving and struck a woman on a motorized scooter in the 600 block of Chicago Avenue.

The female on the scooter suffered minor injuries and took herself to a hospital.

Witnesses say the suspect driver had a third and final accident in the 700 block of Main Street, where she hit a man riding a bike. The cyclist was taken to Presence Saint Francis Hospital with minor injuries.

Several bystanders saw the aftermath including shop manager Cheryl Nester Detweiler, who had just arrived at work.

Cleveland Burkitt took cellphone pictures of officers arresting the driver, and said the woman nearly slammed into him as he drove in the 4600 block of Main Street.

Officers say the suspect drove three more miles to a neighboring suburb with a bashed car and windshield. An unmarked squad car spotted the damaged car in the 4600 block of Main Street, near the border of Evanston and Skokie.

Police said the woman's car was surrounded by Evanston and Skokie officers, and she was taken in to custody. Charges are pending against the woman, who had minor injuries from the incidents.

Views: 2402

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Photo from Evanston Now

I was walking down Main Street on Sunday, past Custer, around 2PM, just as the big black truck from the North Regional Major Crimes Task Force was leaving the scene, trailed by an Evanston Police squad car with the remnants of a red/black Motobecane hanging out of the open trunk.

To add to Steve Rulz' encouraging report, the yet unnamed cyclist's brother posted this in the Evanston Now comments:

"hit and run Submitted by Barney (not verified) on April 7, 2014 - 6:56pm    The bicyclist is my brother and he is doing ok. I spoke with him on the phone today. He said he doesn't remember the incident. His face is pretty messed up but at least he is alive. One of the officers visited him in the hospital and said that he was amazed he wasn't killed. - See more at: http://evanstonnow.com/story/public-safety/bill-smith/2014-04-06/62...

Other recent local updated reports:

"Police now have charged 63-year-old Annemarie T. O'Shaughnessy of Wilmette with felony and misdemeanor charges in connection with a series of accidents in Evanston Sunday.

O'Shaughnessy, of 1516 Isabella St., was charged with felony aggravated fleeing and eluding police and two felony counts of leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident involving injuries.

She also faces misdemeanor charges of reckless driving and five counts of criminal damage to property. And she's been issued 13 traffic citations including six misdemeanor offenses for leaving the scene of an accident and failing to provide information in a traffic crash.

The charges were approved Monday night by the Cook County State's Attorney's Office Felony Review Unit.

She's scheduled to appear in Skokie District Court at 9 a.m. April 21."

http://evanstonnow.com/story/public-safety/bill-smith/2014-04-08/62...

"Updated Tuesday at 2:50 p.m.

A 63-year-old Wilmette woman has been charged in Sunday’s series of hit-and-run crashes that left a biker seriously injured.

Annemarie T. O'Shaugnessy has been charged with three felonies and six misdemeanors, according to Evanston police.

The charges are as follows: aggravated fleeing and eluding police, a felony; two counts of leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident involving injury, a felony; reckless driving, a misdemeanor; and five counts of criminal damage to property, a misdemeanor.

She was also given 13 traffic citations, which included six misdemeanor offenses for leaving the scene of an accident and failing to provide information in a traffic crash.

She is due in court April 21."

http://evanston.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/investigation-co...

The Tribune has an updated story, too.

I'm the biker, and I just want to say thanks to everyone for their thoughts and wishes through this process.   Evanston Police Department were great, and it is really clear that their goal is to get this driver off the streets.  I spent a good part of Sunday in the ER in the room beside that driver, and can only say that she clearly should not be driving ever again.  I got to hear them put the cuffs on her, and as satisfying as that feeling was, it pales in comparison to the comfort I received from strangers, friends, and especially my wife who was out of town and got back to Chicago faster than any of us thought possible.

Throughout the process I have been found great kindness, compassion and  advocacy from  numerous individuals.  The ER and ICU staffs at Presence St. Francis are a cooly efficient bunch, and deserve tremendous respect for all they do.  Evanston PD is going to do everything in their power to remove this driver from the road.  

I won't go into my physical condition much, except to say that I look pretty scary.   If you want to see a reason to wear a helmet, look at that driver's windshield and my face and you'll see why.   Let's all hope EPD and the county attorney succeed in getting this driver off the road.

I was humbled yesterday to speak with the attending trauma physician who was there when I was brought in on Sunday.  Violence, hatred and misunderstanding are all within easy reach of anyone who wants to pick them up and wield them---it's much harder to see the world as it is in all its ugliness and to choose peace and compassion. I'm really proud of how this thread never became one of those cars vs bike rants (which have their place, sadly), and thanks to everyone for their well-wishes.

Glad to see that you are up and typing. :)  Hope you continue to heal well and that the process of getting a dangerous driver out from behind the wheel goes smoothly. 

Bartolo said:

I'm the biker, and I just want to say thanks to everyone for their thoughts and wishes through this process.   Evanston Police Department were great, and it is really clear that their goal is to get this driver off the streets.  I spent a good part of Sunday in the ER in the room beside that driver, and can only say that she clearly should not be driving ever again.  I got to hear them put the cuffs on her, and as satisfying as that feeling was, it pales in comparison to the comfort I received from strangers, friends, and especially my wife who was out of town and got back to Chicago faster than any of us thought possible.

Throughout the process I have been found great kindness, compassion and  advocacy from  numerous individuals.  The ER and ICU staffs at Presence St. Francis are a cooly efficient bunch, and deserve tremendous respect for all they do.  Evanston PD is going to do everything in their power to remove this driver from the road.  

I won't go into my physical condition much, except to say that I look pretty scary.   If you want to see a reason to wear a helmet, look at that driver's windshield and my face and you'll see why.   Let's all hope EPD and the county attorney succeed in getting this driver off the road.

I was humbled yesterday to speak with the attending trauma physician who was there when I was brought in on Sunday.  Violence, hatred and misunderstanding are all within easy reach of anyone who wants to pick them up and wield them---it's much harder to see the world as it is in all its ugliness and to choose peace and compassion. I'm really proud of how this thread never became one of those cars vs bike rants (which have their place, sadly), and thanks to everyone for their well-wishes.

Thanks, Bartolo, for checking in to let us know that you are on the mend.  Chapeau to the ER docs, to the EPD, and all those taking action.

I admire your conversation about the need for compassion.

I would still encourage you to retain a good attorney.  The system that we live in requires us to share risk with others.  When an event happens like this one, the system should consider those who have been harmed.  Just my opinion.

We're all grateful that you're still alive, Bartolo.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Bartolo - I'm glad that you're feeling well enough to respond and that you survived that crash with your compassion intact.  Sending healing thoughts.

I started this thread because my cycling group rode by your mashed-up bike on Sunday afternoon.  I'm so relieved you're ok.  Thank you so much for writing.  I echo our other chainlinkers - best wishes for a speedy recovery.  

ditto. thanks Jen

yaj 7.4 said:

I started this thread because my cycling group rode by your mashed-up bike on Sunday afternoon.  I'm so relieved you're ok.  Thank you so much for writing.  I echo our other chainlinkers - best wishes for a speedy recovery.  

Thanks for updating us and also wishing you a speedy recovery.

Bartolo said:

I'm the biker, and I just want to say thanks to everyone for their thoughts and wishes through this process.  

Thanks for stopping by, it's a relief that you are able to post in this thread. I hope you are also back on a bike soon!  

Thank you for teaching us compassionate response to such an aggressive incident.  May you continue to receive the blessings of family, friends and community and be back on a new bike soon.

Bartolo said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service