The Chainlink

Suggestions for Best/Safest/Easiest Route From Lake Front to North Branch Trail?

Hello! As the title indicates, I'm hoping for suggestions to ride safely from the Lake Front path to the North Branch Trail for casual weekend rides. This is for fun - not for commuting - so I don't need fast and direct!

I've done it before, but was not happy with my path (I don't recall which streets I used - it's been a while!); I've also taken Elston north from Webster, as well as taken the El to a nearby stop. None of these really appeal to me, and so I end up not using the North Branch Trail nearly as much as I'd like. I especially like using it to make a kind of loop - take the North Branch Trail to the Botanic Gardens, then back to the city along the Green Bay Trail and lake.

I've got a couple of ideas from scanning Google Maps, but I'd appreciate any real-life experience that can be shared. If this has been discussed before and I missed it, my apologies!

Thank you in advance!

Views: 764

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Take Bryn Mawr west and detour around the cemetery.  Make your way back to Bryn Mawr west of western then continue west past Pulaski.  About half a mile west of Pulaski you'll hit a rail right of way (abandoned) at this point you should be able to follow side streets up to the trail.  City bike route signs should direct you through neighborhood streets to the trail (it might have you riding on Devon for a short bit).

I know Julie has led a group from the city to the point where the North branch trail meets Devon and Caldwell. I could figure out her route but she might actually have it. Its similar to Jared's route.  It calls for about a 1/2 mile on Devon but you are doing this on a weekend and, especially in the morning, you will get easy traffic.

Another option is to add a path. Take Bryn Mawr to the Channel Trail. Take that north. After Peterson it seems to end dumping you onto Kedzie. (You will have gone through underpasses at Foster and Peterson)  Take Kedzie up to Devon. Cross the bridge on Devon and you are back on the trail on the other side of the river. Take that part of the trail (which has no underpasses) up to Church. At Church head west until you pick up the North Branch Trail just west of Austin.

I agree with Jared's suggested route.  Something like this:  http://goo.gl/maps/eR9Jm

Jared, David and Rich - thanks to all for your input!

Some of the bike route signs after Pulaski on Bryn Mawr and obstructed of hidden by tree branches, but you can still find your way.

Forgot to mention that Bryn Mawr can be a bit hectic between Central Park and Pulaski when NEIU class is in session. It's a short stretch and that's mainly during the week. There's almost never any cars parked on Bryn Mawr by NEIU on weekends. 

Ken said:

I'll see if I can find my route and share, but note it started at the Ravenswood Metra.  From the LPF you could do Wilson to Damen and then my route.  

David Barish said:

I know Julie has led a group from the city to the point where the North branch trail meets Devon and Caldwell. I could figure out her route but she might actually have it. Its similar to Jared's route.  It calls for about a 1/2 mile on Devon but you are doing this on a weekend and, especially in the morning, you will get easy traffic.

Another option is to add a path. Take Bryn Mawr to the Channel Trail. Take that north. After Peterson it seems to end dumping you onto Kedzie. (You will have gone through underpasses at Foster and Peterson)  Take Kedzie up to Devon. Cross the bridge on Devon and you are back on the trail on the other side of the river. Take that part of the trail (which has no underpasses) up to Church. At Church head west until you pick up the North Branch Trail just west of Austin.

Found the route and cue sheet.  See attachment.

Attachments:

Yep, at non-class times it's not bad.

Rich S said:

Forgot to mention that Bryn Mawr can be a bit hectic between Central Park and Pulaski when NEIU class is in session. It's a short stretch and that's mainly during the week. There's almost never any cars parked on Bryn Mawr by NEIU on weekends. 

Ken said:

What's wrong with Elston? It's my daily commute so I don't ride it for pleasure but... It's pretty safe IMHO.

Tominator - I find Elston to be pretty industrial/commercial (and unattractive) for much of it's length. I know there's marked bike lanes for most or all of it, but as this is for my recreation, I prefer routes that are pleasant, which for me includes how it looks, in addition to being safe. No doubt it is an efficient commuting route, but that is not what I'm looking for. Also, I recall that vehicle traffic tends to speed along in parts - something I want to avoid. Thank you!

Tominator said:

What's wrong with Elston? It's my daily commute so I don't ride it for pleasure but... It's pretty safe IMHO.

Julie - thank you!

Julie Hochstadter said:

Found the route and cue sheet.  See attachment.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service