The Chainlink

I don't know if I was just in too big of a hurry or what, but when I put the valve cap back on my tire, I must have stripped it. Now it's stuck on the valve and just spins. Does anyone have any suggestions on an easy fix?

I've just to just pull it off with no luck. I may just have to try to rip the whole valve out and replace the tube.

Views: 473

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Its plastic correct, just cut it off with a pocket knife?
The threads inside the cap are actually aluminum. This original cap was missing and replaced it with one for a car. It was in the junk drawer and didn't think anything of it at the time.
Then my only other suggestion is using pliers. Pull up while twisting and clamping down lightly.

Also if you can get something steel, sharp and stiff under the aluminum you could "rip" it off. Can opener on a swiss army knife would do.

PJ said:
The threads inside the cap are actually aluminum. This original cap was missing and replaced it with one for a car. It was in the junk drawer and didn't think anything of it at the time.
It may be the threaded insert spinning inside the valve cap. Try getting past the plastic with a knife or file and see if you can grip the threaded (aluminum) insert.
Exactly what I was going to say: plastic outer & alum. inner have probably separated.

Pete said:
It may be the threaded insert spinning inside the valve cap. Try getting past the plastic with a knife or file and see if you can grip the threaded (aluminum) insert.
It was two separate pieces that came apart! I got it off, which is a relief. The whole reason a different cap was on there was because I lost the original while changing the tube just a few days ago. So, I didn't really want to have to do it again so soon. You guys rock! Thanks.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service