The Chainlink

Someone harvested about 5 wheels from the pub ride tonight!  
One of which was mine!
I'm pissed, I'm sure the others with missing wheels are pissed, and you're probably pissed if you're reading this!
It's bullshit and I know wheels are hard to get back, but the least we can do is try.
The flea market and craigslist are the places to look!
If anyone hears anything let us know!
I had a rear white velocity deep V with 17 and 19 tooth cogs on either side.
If you lost your wheel let me know the description. 
I have people who will be scouring the flea markets this weekend.
All we can do is try!

Views: 985

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Although, I did just realize something pretty interesting. Anyone else notice this is a lot for Wrightwood Auto Parts shop? LOL holy $&%#! Is it possible, like others said, they didn't like our bikes on their gate so they decided to grab a bunch of wheels and take em to the shop just to be dicks. If so that is so f-ed up. People are such assholes. After all, I trust an auto mechanic about as much as I would trust a homeless crackhead to watch my children. What an interesting night :)

Regardless, one thing I do know is that we need to get some kind of regulation which would require a bike rack every block or something. Since the meter issues, I have found it a very difficult task trying to safely lock my bike everywhere I go.
*bump* it was my fault for locking the frame only I was in Aldi from 5:45 to 6:05 today and my rear wheel was stolen. Deep wall flip hub and to replace it will cost me $150. Thanks asshole.

Ryan, I trust a auto mechanic about as much as I trust a bike mechanic. This sounds like a "inside job" and the thief is probably a member of Chainlink or was on the ride.

Wow I'm really surprised. Sounds like it was someone driving who could take all the wheels at once.  I am guessing they happened to drive by and see them and then got their tools.  Obviously a pro as wheels are difficult to dispose of and frankly you don't get too much for them.  From what you all have written these were top end wheels/rims.

We've had this discussion before, or I have. The market on ebay and craiglist for a single wheel is extremely minimal. you don't get much for them as very few people buy just a single wheel and if you do you typically want to match an existing one. So the odds a given single wheel/rim will sell on those sites is extremely low. My guess is that somebody is going to consolidate these wheels with other wheels and sell them on mass to somebody who sells big lots of parts.  

notoriousDUG said:

It all depends on the type of thief; here are those who choose what to take based on opportunity and ease and then those who choose to take based on resale value.

The guy stealing a Q/R wheel is the crack head selling it for 10 bucks where ever they can and the person stealing the nice wheels with bolts on them are the people selling them via e-bay and CL for what they are worth.

Chicago Bicycle Advocate said:
I have always assumed that thieves will only target easy marks like an unlocked quick release wheel. When I used to have a bike with quick release skewers I would just put a hose clamp over it believing that a thief probably wouldn't bother carrying a screw driver. Obviously, I was naive. Since hearing about this I've just been in the fetal position rocking back and forth afraid to take my bike out;-)

notoriousDUG said:
Why is this unbelievable; do you not think thieves carry tools or know how to take apart bikes?

Chicago Bicycle Advocate said:
That is just unbelievable.

Lindsay E. Stout said:
I even had a chain tensioner on my wheel!
They were stolen from next to El Mamey Lounge on North ave and Talman.
There were no bike racks, so all the bikes were locked to the gates and everyone whos bike was on the inside had their shit taken.

which aldi was this at? I never lock my wheels at the one on broadway across from the Target..

Mike Zumwalt said:

*bump* it was my fault for locking the frame only I was in Aldi from 5:45 to 6:05 today and my rear wheel was stolen. Deep wall flip hub and to replace it will cost me $150. Thanks asshole.

+1

El Dorado said:

Ryan, I trust a auto mechanic about as much as I trust a bike mechanic. This sounds like a "inside job" and the thief is probably a member of Chainlink or was on the ride.

quite possible.  a planned theft of bike wheels seems hard to imagine. It's a horrible risk to reward ratio given how limited the market is for a single wheel.  frankly this is the best theory I've heard, particularly because of the bolt removal which tells me they had tools. 

Ryan L said:

Although, I did just realize something pretty interesting. Anyone else notice this is a lot for Wrightwood Auto Parts shop? LOL holy $&%#! Is it possible, like others said, they didn't like our bikes on their gate so they decided to grab a bunch of wheels and take em to the shop just to be dicks. If so that is so f-ed up. People are such assholes. After all, I trust an auto mechanic about as much as I would trust a homeless crackhead to watch my children. What an interesting night :)

Regardless, one thing I do know is that we need to get some kind of regulation which would require a bike rack every block or something. Since the meter issues, I have found it a very difficult task trying to safely lock my bike everywhere I go.

How much could a "bunch of kids" given him for a wheel for their bike that presumably already had a wheel? $10 if that?  I haven't met kids that give a shit about their bike wheels or will spend cash on them.

Marne Provost said:

When my rear wheel was stolen a while back to searched craigslist like a hawk, but never saw anything. My thief ended up selling my wheel along with other stolen parts out of his car. Why do I know this? I ran into some kids and my wheel a couple months later and they told me. This guy (alex/eric?) uses his 4-door grey honda and a wrench as his mobile workspace.

It was probably Julie. I mean, who would ever suspect her?  Pure genius.

jolondon30 said:

+1

El Dorado said:

The one on Milwaukee

jolondon30 said:

which aldi was this at? I never lock my wheels at the one on broadway across from the Target..

Mike Zumwalt said:

I assumed it was another cyclist because they would understand the value and use of the flip hub. My front wheel was also unlocked along with several other bikes and surveilence camera's... seems awfully specific to steal only one 700x23 rim/ tire

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service