The Chainlink

"With all the stolen bike posts lately (and no one thinking "I wonder if there's something under Useful Links for this."), I think it's well past time to make a sticky about the Stolen Bike Registry"

- Tank-Ridin' Ryan

Well said Ryan.

http://chicago.stolenbike.org/

Done and done.

And sticky too.

Cheers - Lee Diamond

Views: 27018

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My 2008 Jamis Aurora was stolen from outside my apartment last night. I've already reported it to the the police and have filed a stolen bike registry entry.

I've attached a recent picture of it from a bike tour I took earlier this month. It's in good shape, and has a velocicy dyad rear wheel, with a locking skewer. It also has random balloons hanging from it and lots of scuffs in the paint. It has two water bottles cages that are bright red and yellow. It has both front and rear racks...so it's somewhat distinctive.

It's not a low mileage bike, but it has a new rear cassette and chain.

If anyone sees it, please let me know. I'll probably try going out to a swap meet this weekend. I'm definitely pretty bummed as I ride this bike everywhere.
So sorry Jami. Will definitely keep a lookout.

jamimaria said:

My 2008 Jamis Aurora was stolen from outside my apartment last night. I've already reported it to the the police and have filed a stolen bike registry entry.

I've attached a recent picture of it from a bike tour I took earlier this month. It's in good shape, and has a velocicy dyad rear wheel, with a locking skewer. It also has random balloons hanging from it and lots of scuffs in the paint. It has two water bottles cages that are bright red and yellow. It has both front and rear racks...so it's somewhat distinctive.

If anyone sees it, please let me know. I'll probably try going out to a swap meet this weekend. I'm definitely pretty bummed as I ride this bike everywhere.
very sorry to hear this. I know that is a very special bike.

sending good bike-recovery vibes your way. and I will scrutinize EVERY Jamis I see now

Kevin Conway said:
So sorry Jami. Will definitely keep a lookout.

jamimaria said:

Thanks guys. I'm definitely pretty bummed as I'd logged thousands of miles with that bike and really enjoyed it. I feel like it's somewhat distinctive and really hope that it gets a flat tire since it has locking skewers.

If anyone sees it, give me a call at 773-841-3979.
There is a bike getting cannibalized at N Broadway and Sheridan.
Better:
If anyone sees it, call 911* and tell them you need police help to get "your friend's**" stolen bike back at ______( location). Then call a friend (unless you're one of them smart phone people) who you think is likely to be at a computer and have them google "stolen Jamis Jami Chicago". Have them click on the first hit, then either read you or text you the police report number so you can give it to the cops. Don't let the bike out of your sight. Then call Jami . . . for non-emergencies police can take 45 minutes to respond, so try to get help from passersby to either flag down a cop or to help confront the thief if it doesn't look like police assistance is forthcoming.

This is the value of a police report-- without one there's not a whole lot you can do most of the time, but with one you can get the police to assist.

*if there's no answer after a million rings the first time there's usually a fairly prompt answer when you call again-- no idea why this is happening but I first noticed it about 6 weeks ago.

**in other words don't start going into something about a message board/website/etc.-- many 911 operators will seize any opportunity to drag you into a downward spiraling argument about nothing so they can feel powerful.

jamimaria said:
Thanks guys. I'm definitely pretty bummed as I'd logged thousands of miles with that bike and really enjoyed it. I feel like it's somewhat distinctive and really hope that it gets a flat tire since it has locking skewers.
If anyone sees it, give me a call at 773-841-3979.
FOUND! 52cm black (no decals) fixie. Seems like a mail order bike (Mercier or the sort), nothing special but a solid ride. Got it off of a scrapper who seemed like he genuinely found it (not surprising with stories of drunks not knowing where they left their bike). Tell me some distinguishing features such as the brand of saddle, color of grips and the pedal set up to show me it's yours and you can have it back.
Question; is there a way to report found/recovered bikes on the Stolen Bike Registry? I just filled out a report and described that I found the bike.
Not specifically but your found report is up there for now.

Bikefreeek said:
Question; is there a way to report found/recovered bikes on the Stolen Bike Registry? I just filled out a report and described that I found the bike.
The Raleigh has been recovered and is in safe hands. I will post more details later.

Jason Smajda said:
Just saw a stolen Raliegh at the Halsted Orange Line. It was abandoned with the cut u lock still on it. I had to leave to make it to work, but was able to call someone who had another person pick it up.
Teamwork, Eifel Tower!

Chuck a Muck said:
The Raleigh has been recovered and is in safe hands. I will post more details later.

Jason Smajda said:
Just saw a stolen Raliegh at the Halsted Orange Line. It was abandoned with the cut u lock still on it. I had to leave to make it to work, but was able to call someone who had another person pick it up.
Probably removed from a signpost by CTA.

Jason Smajda said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service