The Chainlink

The search function still isn't returning anything but I've got a new frame that I'm cleaning up (removing some paint overspray on the fork crown and brake nubs) and was considering what to do about coating the interior with some kind of rust prevention material.  The most common chemicals seem to take a day or so to dry and while I can do the spraying outside there's nowhere to leave the frame.  I was thinking of using boiled linseed oil with a spray bottle and straw nozzle since it can dry inside without any serious odors.

Does anyone have any experience with linseed oil in particular?  I used it a lot when I was young helping my parents refinishing wood furniture, but I've never used it on metal.

Views: 271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Frame Saver or linseed oil.

If you use linseed beware disposing of rags, it can start a fire under the right conditions

Linseed oil has been used as a rust preventative in steel aircraft frames forever.  To get a good coating they heat the oil, put it in the tubing and then roll the frame around.

The big problem is it has to be stored in my living room while it dries.  Which is why I'm leaning toward linseed oil, throwing the rags away immediately and hoping the frame won't burst into flames.  Heat the oil?  This week I can probably just let the frame bake outside for an hour before application...

Thanks for the advice.  That canned stuff it's low odor and can be used (or maybe at least dry) indoors, though.  I'll stop by Murray's on the way home and see if they carry it.

The odor from stuff like Duane posted or Frame Saver is not that bad after the initial application; unless you are sitting next to it sniffing the tubes it'll be fine drying inside.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service