The Chainlink

So I have been reading on keeping the toes warm, I have a short commute, usually about ~20 minutes, but it is mostly on industrial roads and MUPs, and a short distance on Milwaukee.  So I am guessing I'll be riding in slush a lot since the curbs and roads aren't plowed very well in the winter.  There is a lot of info on what people have made worked, but there doesn't seem to be anyone who has just done one or the other.  

Or if there is a specific thread I missed, by all means link it and I apologize for missing it!

I currently have a pair of SPD pedals with a small platform on the other side.  I am finding that my feet are so cold they hurt, especially when they are wet.  I bought my cleats with a little extra room, and I own cold weather hiking socks.  Should I just invest in a waterproof shoe cover and forego the thermal stuff?  I saw the Rivendell MUSA covers and they look like great water proof options, but I am worried about them holding slush against my shoe when I put a foot down.

Otherwise I am thinking about switching my pedals to some platforms and riding in boots.  I have a set of Goretex lined boots that when worn with my wool cold weather socks, my feet always sweat. 

What has worked for others?  Do you really notice the loss in pedal stroke going from a cleat to a platform, especially in poor weather?

Views: 1716

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've work Lake Cycling winter boots for years.  Pricey, yes,but I like staying clipped in (SPD.)  They are not the least bit ventilated, are ridiculously waterproof, and I've gotten more than 10 years out of a pair so far, with not much sign of wear.  When it gets below 20 degrees, my toes can get a little stiff, but not unbearable.

If it wasn't for the fact I might be moving in the spring to a slightly more temperate winter climate I'd be all about those boots.  Those suckers look awesome!

Noah Shlaes said:

I've work Lake Cycling winter boots for years.  Pricey, yes,but I like staying clipped in (SPD.)  They are not the least bit ventilated, are ridiculously waterproof, and I've gotten more than 10 years out of a pair so far, with not much sign of wear.  When it gets below 20 degrees, my toes can get a little stiff, but not unbearable.

I have endura overshoe slips, for my SPD shoes and they are great. keep me warm and dry in the harshest conditions.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service