The Chainlink

Clark Park is a pristine river front park which contains acres of green space and a half mile river front trail, soccer fields, native gardens and a state-of-the-art BMX trail. Also, it has a public canoe/kayak launch and is a recognized butterfly sanctuary and bird watching habitat.

We oppose constructing a 2 acre sized boat warehouse/crewing facility which will negatively impact the park - it will be too large for Clark Park and introduce a 3 story building, surrounded by concrete, increased vehicle traffic, and will interrupt existing activities at the park. The public demands a period of public review to investigate moving the facility to a larger park or a different location.

A much smaller boathouse facility could be constructed at Clark Park, containing canoes/kayak, badly needed washrooms and a public water source, concessios and possible bike rental. Green Space is the most valuable resource in the parks, especially in this one-of-a-kind riverfront park - it must be protected for future generations.

http://www.change.org/petitions/chicago-park-district-and-the-city-... 

Views: 11907

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I actually took pictures of the fenced-off area from every angle yesterday, but got too depressed to upload and link them.  Hopefully that designated area is extra-large to accomodate equipment staging and for protecting tree root zones from compaction.

I will have to decline your generous offer, as I see the Cubs winning a world series first. 

I actually took pictures of the fenced-off area from every angle yesterday, but got too depressed to upload and link them.  Hopefully that designated area is extra-large as it is also accommodating equipment staging and protecting tree root zones from compaction.

I'm pretty confident at this point saying the CPD pulled a switch on the bridge and reallocated funding to the "underbridge" that will run along the river's east side connecting the south and north sides of Addison.  And that's a fine thing - except that this facility will be a conflict with those wanting to bike along the river's east side. 

It is very short-sighted to pave over a big chunk of what precious little pristine open space Chicago has left.  All the existing user base had wanted were some fairly basic facilities like restrooms and water fountains. 

James BlackHeron said:

Thanks for the link lorraine reder!

It almost looks like there could be room for a Roscoe Ped/Bike Corridor Bridge there after all by the looks of that site.  Is that the whole boathouse or just the site?  If it is the boathouse then it is MUCH larger than the 20,000 square foot footprint or even the 40,000 square foot footprint everyone was arguing about.

Anyhow, maybe a bridge is in the works.  I rode by on the other side and it looks like there is construction fencing on Roscoe there too.   So either they are starting the Ped/Bike Bridge to link the Roscoe Bike Corridor or they are just going to rip up the street for other industrial uses like they have wanted to all along.

Your guess is as good as mine -but I bet you we will NEVER see a bridge there.  I'll bet someone a free wheel-build.  What will you bet me in return?

I don't have much of a horse in this race, but if I was in your guys' shoes I'd be trying to get journalists/media interested in this. My first step would be to hold a "media focusing event" and get the basic grievance out there in press release form. Or has that already happened? Or are there reasons I'm not considering that that might not be something you'd want to pursue?

h', there were multiple stories by the Roscoe Village Journal, so it did get some media coverage, hard to compete with NATO.  But this was a done deal, and the CPD prevented any effective organizing by deceiving the Clark Park Advisory Council/pulling a bait and switch at the 11th hour. 

If a decades-established community organization associated with the park got run over, it's clear the Mayor doesn't care what anyone in the area thinks, and decided this was going to happen (see James' note on Meigs Field) one way or the other. 

Of course, none of that means anyone has to like it, or that we shouldn't call it out for what it is. 

Carter-  Can I get a copy of your photos at cpac.treasurer@gmail.com?  I think it's important to take before and after photos because most of those trees in the fenced off area will be gone.

Bill Barnes

Carter O'Brien said:

I actually took pictures of the fenced-off area from every angle yesterday, but got too depressed to upload and link them.  Hopefully that designated area is extra-large to accomodate equipment staging and for protecting tree root zones from compaction.

Will they Bill or is that just a guess. Most of the images and plans I have seen keep the exsisting trees.

I'm late to the discussion. Sorry.

I paddle. Kayaks. Mostly alone. The Clark Park landing offered me a paddle in a fully accessible spot on the river. I was able to drive slowly down the accessible launch ramp to unload my boat and repeat the process after a nature filled paddle. As a sometimes gardener I enjoyed the native plantings. Conversation with fishermen and cyclists taking a break as I launched and landed was a fine bonus to my frequent outings. I will miss this and fear my quiet accessible spot is gone forever.

I'm looking for a new river launch... So far none compare. I will now be launching into a steep muddy bank on the Des Plaines near Irving or be relegated to a 50 mile round trip to Skokie Lagoons and Busse Woods. None of these offer the rich variety of wildlife found on my little stretch of the Chicago, nor the accessibility for a sometimes aging solo paddler.

Is there any possible action to stop or alter the development at this point?

Tim Norris

River park has a boat launch, map

Also once the construction is completed you will once again have access to launching at Clark Park and the launch will be larger. 

Thank you, Liz.

I have paddled past there more than many times. On the west bank there is a landing with quite a hike to reach the water with a boat... It's just under the waterfall. I've even portaged from there to the real Chicago River above the fall. If there is a launch sight on the east bank, I have never noticed one. I will be making a run up there in a few minutes. As well as a run to Clark to look around up close and chat up any workers...

I obviously don't know if you are a kayaker. What we and our fellow canoeists look for in a landing is a shallow sloped bank and easy access to the water by motor vehicle. Carrying the darned boats a couple hundred yards... We just look for a better spot. And dealing with even a floating dock (such as the Oakton facility) is quite unpleasant. Most of us just want unobstructed access to a natural part of the river. The plans I have seen will not allow for this... Nor for accessibility.

Clark Park has been the spot for me and others for years before the rental guys came in. Before Clark, the Berteau landing was our place. Berteau was not even near ideal and it was sort of unfair of us to keep using it at the expense of the surrounding home owners who improved and maintain the area.

I will visit Clark after construction is finished. I fear my spot is lost forever.

Liz said:

River park has a boat launch, map

Also once the construction is completed you will once again have access to launching at Clark Park and the launch will be larger. 

I just got word of this, anyone know more?

>Just saw this from the Mayor's office for Finance Committee at 10 a.m. on Monday.

A communication recommending a proposed ordinance concerning the authority to enter
into and execute an Intergovernmental Agreement with the Chicago Park District for the
redevelopment of Clark Park.

It was in the minutes of this morning's Council Finance Committee meeting:

11. An ordinance authorizing the Commissioner of the Department of Housing and
Economic Development to enter into and execute an Intergovernmental Agreement with
the Chicago Park District for the redevelopment of Clark Park.
 02012-3314

Looks like a whole lot of money may be flowing into Clark Park soon.  It appears the ordinance will be up for a vote on the June 6 City Council meeting.

TIF money for the park.

EXHIBIT D
Project Budget TIF-Funded Improvements
The total cost ofthe project is $7,400,000. In no event, however,
shall funding from the Western Avenue South TIF Fund exceed $1,000,000.
Sources Budget:
City of Chicago(Western Ave. South TIF) $1,000,000
Park District $2,450,000
Chicago One (Private Donations) $3,950,000
Total Project Cost= $7,400,000
Uses Budget:
Boathouse design and construction $7,400, 000
The Commissioner may approve changes to this preliminary budget.

It would be interesting to know who the "Chicago One" private donor is.  WMS Gaming?

http://chicago.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=1128441&G...=

Here's the final page in this chapter:

http://www.roscoeviewjournal.com/news/clark-park-loses-battle-over-...

That's quite the optimistic headline spin.   Alderman Pawar has proven to be one of the quickest sell-outs in aldermanic history.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service