The Chainlink

Female suburban commuter, now working in Lakeview.  Very unfamiliar with Chicago streets.  Looking for safest way from Central St. Evanston to Broadway/Roscoe.  Thanks!

Views: 441

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Central and what? I always ride to Chicago starting on Main and end up zig-zaging on a lot of tree-lined neighborhood streets with practically no traffic. It'll take a bit longer than taking Chicago to Clark all the way to Roscoe, but you asked for the safest way, so here's a relaxing route to try out:

Custer (turns into Damen) to Touhy to Ashland to Pratt to Bosworth to Devon to Greenview to Granville to Winthrop to Ardmore (sounds a lot more complicated than it is, promise),

then hop on the Lakefront Path :)

I'm with Cameron.  NCT is the way to go.  If you're further east, then I'd have some detailed directions, but if you're west of Ridge (or even Sherman), then it's worth it to just go west to the NCT.  The lack of stop-and-go that even sidestreets require will make up for the time spent heading west, and it's really a beautiful ride.  One bit of an odd turn: southbound, you're better off crossing Devon, then taking Kedzie south past Granville and then getting back on the path right before the swoop under Lincoln.  If you continue on the path south of Devon, you have to make a complicated set of turns that are pretty awkward. Once you're south of Lincoln, it's all underpasses, no stopping at all till Argyle; then the path formally ends a bit before Lawrence  To get to Wilson, you have to get off at Lawrence, head west a half block, south again on Manor to Wilson.

Oh, and in the winter, the snow clearance on the NCT is spotty.  If you want a detailed sidestreet route, just ask.

I prefer California to the NCT. It runs pretty much parallel.

California is my favorite street over on the West side of Evanston, too. Dodge is nice to ride on. Unless you're already that far West, though, I would find either one far too out of the way if you're going all the way back East to the LFP.

Either way, it's nice to have Metropolis in the middle of your morning commute. :)

That first route is a pretty nice one.  Doorings are a problem on Lincoln.  It can be a useful street, but it requires caution.

Cameron Puetz said:

I would take the North Channel trail to Wilson to Ravenswood to School to Broadway. Going home just switch Roscoe for School. Alternately you could take Wilson to Lincoln to School, but personally I've always felt like Lincoln is a dooring waiting to happen.

Agreed that getting over to Kedzie is the way to go.  Is the trail open between Touhy and Devon?  I've been riding Kedzie between Howard and the Devon since the trail was closed at Touhy.

Also, looks like Granville is a straight shot to (nearly) the north end of the Lake Front Path.  I haven't ridden it, though.

Bill Savage said:

I'm with Cameron.  NCT is the way to go.  If you're further east, then I'd have some detailed directions, but if you're west of Ridge (or even Sherman), then it's worth it to just go west to the NCT.  The lack of stop-and-go that even sidestreets require will make up for the time spent heading west, and it's really a beautiful ride.  One bit of an odd turn: southbound, you're better off crossing Devon, then taking Kedzie south past Granville and then getting back on the path right before the swoop under Lincoln.  If you continue on the path south of Devon, you have to make a complicated set of turns that are pretty awkward. Once you're south of Lincoln, it's all underpasses, no stopping at all till Argyle; then the path formally ends a bit before Lawrence  To get to Wilson, you have to get off at Lawrence, head west a half block, south again on Manor to Wilson.

Koala

Its open. I rode to the disc golf course yesterday and the trail is now open all the way.

An alternate and Lincolnless route is Dodge/California south to Ainslie. ( I don't recall which way the streets go there but Winnimac or Argyle one of these goes east and there is a light crossing Western by the McDonalds on Ainslie)  Then east to Damen. South on Damen to Roscoe and east to your destination.

I've been riding the NCT again between Northwestern (Noyes) and Lincoln Sq/Ravenswood (South of Lawrence). There are discers out there. Make no mistake, it's a poorly designed course. But, I put more faith in the active/outdoor type enjoying the outdoors than preoccupied motorists trying to get home.

Have a bell for your bike (we're supposed to have this anyways). Ring it as you move though this section. Let folks know you're coming through.

Cameron Puetz said:

The trail is open again, but I've heard that the new disk golf course built around as created some dangerous stretches were the the trail crosses the fairway. Probably not an issue with a morning commute, but could be a problem in the afternoon.

koala said:

Agreed that getting over to Kedzie is the way to go.  Is the trail open between Touhy and Devon?  I've been riding Kedzie between Howard and the Devon since the trail was closed at Touhy.

Also, looks like Granville is a straight shot to (nearly) the north end of the Lake Front Path.  I haven't ridden it, though.

Juana - did you find a good route yet?

I forgot about this. I've been keeping track of my rides to/from Northwestern to Lincoln Sq on this map below. Not saying this is the best resource, but it's kind of my field notes of my first year bike commuting between LinSq and NU/Evanston.

Evanston-Lincoln Sq commuter routes

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service