The Chainlink

I have to visit my parents this evening where is the safest place to lock a bike up around Union Station?

Views: 3957

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not sure where your coming from or going to but have you considered using one of the outlying stations (Clybourn, Ravenswood, Western). Much more convenient as you don't have to buy the ticket at the station but can buy it once on the train. Not sure if these areas are any safer to leave a bike locked though.
The Clybourn and Ravenswood Metra stations are probably the two most frequent spots for stolen bike reports citywide. Can't remember ever having received one for the Western station though, although for the most part the bikes I see locked there are not particularly desireable.

Jared said:
Not sure where your coming from or going to but have you considered using one of the outlying stations (Clybourn, Ravenswood, Western). Much more convenient as you don't have to buy the ticket at the station but can buy it once on the train. Not sure if these areas are any safer to leave a bike locked though.
Let the buyer beware?

Video_Drome said:
2cents:

caveot emptor if you lock your bike up anywhere over night in this city. And especially by union. unless it's a beater bike, those probably won't get messed with.
I reread my own reply and can see how you concluded that I parked my bike bike there for a multi-day periods. So let me clarify, I never parked overnight, but I did park days and (occasionally) evenings there, without any issues. I thought OP was not asking for overnight parking options

H3N3 said:
My friends Sam and Sarah locked their bikes to a fence near Union Station to hop Megabus and their U-locks were promptly sawed (damaging one of the bikes) and placed in a health club storage room.
Miraculously they managed to track them down and get them back. I would not lock to anything but a city bike rack or sanctioned meter downtown. Personally I would not leave my bike downtown for a multi-day trip but Duppie seems to have done OK by his account.
there is a nice rack on the SW corner of Washington and Clinton (by the Bank of America HQ loading dock).
It is set back from the street and there is a security camera. I would feel as safe there as anything as
it is about 30' or so set back from the street. email me for more specfic location, etc.

DB
Also, Im referring to day time and evening lock ups....not overnight.

Never leave your bike locked up overnight outside.....never.
My wife had a bike (brand new Jamis Coda) stolen from a city rack in front of Union Station on the corner of Jackson and Canal a little less than a year ago. She was using a kryptonite evolution mini to secure the frame to the rack and a strong kryptonite cable for the wheels. Not sure how the lock was defeated because the thief took it with, but we assume the person used an angle grinder. It was spring, so the theft occurred in broad daylight with probably hundreds of people walking by while it happened.

The Chicago stolen bike registry is filled with similar stories of bikes getting jacked from the Union Station area. Simply put, there is no real safe place to lock up around there. It is one of the worst spots for theft in the city. If you absolutely need to do it for any length of time and you have a nice bike, I would definitely suggest multiple ulocks. Even then you are rolling the dice.

On the plus side, our renter's insurance (allstate) covered the bike. We had to pay our $250 deductable and received a check for the value of the bike. If you lock outside and have a bike worth a decent amount, I highly suggest getting renter's insurance or making sure your current policy covers a bike theft outside the apartment/house.
The City's bike map shows the location of bike racks installed inside CTA stations,
which would keep your bike out of the elements and probably a bit more secure.
The Clinton Green/Pink station and Jackson Blue station are both about a 10-minute
walk from Union Station. The Clinton rack is in the "paid" area, so if you shell out $2.25
to get through the turnstyle, you'll get extra security because only customers can access
your bike. The Jackson rack is in the unpaid area so it's free.

John Greenfield
Have had several reports of (well-locked) bikes being stolen from inside CTA stations, unfortunately.

John Greenfield said:
The City's bike map shows the location of bike racks installed inside CTA stations,
which would keep your bike out of the elements and probably a bit more secure.
The Clinton Green/Pink station and Jackson Blue station are both about a 10-minute
walk from Union Station. The Clinton rack is in the "paid" area, so if you shell out $2.25
to get through the turnstyle, you'll get extra security because only customers can access
your bike. The Jackson rack is in the unpaid area so it's free.

John Greenfield
However,
with a bike being locked up in a busy section, the greater chances you have with someone witnessing your bike being stolen or tampered with,or possibly scaring the bike thief off......

Well, that's what I would have said before starting the registry and sifting through 1000+ reports, and that assumption is specifically why the registy polls for descriptive location information (in front of open business, closed business, etc.)
Surprisingly, actual real-world evidence has not borne out the validity of the above assertion as anything more than an unsupported personal opinion.
No postulation here.

If you were given two places to lock up your bike- those 2 places being Michigan ave or in an alley in the loop,which one would you select?

i'll take being out in the open all day long....

H3N3 said:
However, with a bike being locked up in a busy section, the greater chances you have with someone witnessing your bike being stolen or tampered with,or possibly scaring the bike thief off......
Well, that's what I would have said before starting the registry and sifting through 1000+ reports, and that assumption is specifically why the registy polls for descriptive location information (in front of open business, closed business, etc.)
Surprisingly, actual real-world evidence has not borne out the validity of the above assertion as anything more than an unsupported personal opinion.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service