The Chainlink

The drunk driver that crashed into and killed Bobby Cann, Ryne Sanhamel, was scheduled to appear in court this morning at 26th and California.  I recall that CPD was seeking "court advocates" to appear.  Did anyone attend?  Any idea what happened?

Views: 1415

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know that there turned out to be lots of "trained" court advocates. The ATA did a good job coordinating all that training and coordinating the scheduling.

Someone that went today, please let us know how it went.

Was anyone there?

Court advocates were instructed not to talk about the case in public.

Thank God!

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Court advocates were instructed not to talk about the case in public.

getting choked up...

Nothing about this case is to be discussed. Sorry, everyone. 

Per Jason Jenkins from Active Trans (emphasis mine):

The next date will be:

08/02/13

9:30 a.m.

Cook County Courthouse

Branch 66

Room 101

26th and California

This will be an Arraignment, This is the one in which a judge will be assigned and a large visible presence of Bobby’s supporters will make a strong first impression.

If you have not been trained as an advocate you may still appear as a member of the public.

Please note that the security line at that time of the morning is very backed up so it’s recommended that you show up by 9:00 a.m. so that we can all be rallied up by 9:30. I would also go ahead and schedule the better part of your morning off as there may very well be delays.

Will there be a time in the (relatively near) future where we can find out what has happened/is happening with this case?

I'm confused, it was a public hearing. Who has been instructing people not to discuss it and why?

Duppie 13.5185km said:

If you have not been trained as an advocate you may still appear as a member of the public.

Good practice in any legal proceeding.  The less talk the better; one poorly worded or incorrect statement can provide a toe hold.

Will G - 10mi said:

I'm confused, it was a public hearing. Who has been instructing people not to discuss it and why?

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Talking about the case can only hurt the case. We're asking that everyone remains respectful and let justice prevail.

notoriousDUG said:

Good practice in any legal proceeding.  The less talk the better; one poorly worded or incorrect statement can provide a toe hold.

Will G - 10mi said:

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Not speaking specifically about this case, but just in general terms:
Nothing significant is likely to happen at the first several court dates. At the arraignment, the defendant usually pleads not guilty and some documents are exchanged. Exchanging documents (discovery) can go on for several more court dates before anything significant happens. There are exceptions, of course, particularly if the defendant pleads guilty early on.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service