The Chainlink

On Lincoln, in front of 3541, North bound is a bad sink hole right in the path that bike riders take. (Just south of Addison). This is NOT a pot hole, it's washed out under, there is no road there. This is potentially very dangerous.

First of all, watch out for it, second of all, please call 311, I did on Friday, but so far they have done nothing, not even a cone to mark it. If a lot of different people call in, maybe they'll respond.

Views: 171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's another tip. 3541 N Lincoln is in the 32nd Ward, Ald. Scott Waguespack. Ward office (773) 248-1330; City Hall Office (312) 744-4852. I just called the Ward Office and reported the sink hole. This is how the City that Works works.
Oh, duh, I should know better.

Kevin Conway said:
Here's another tip. 3541 N Lincoln is in the 32nd Ward, Ald. Scott Waguespack. Ward office (773) 248-1330; City Hall Office (312) 744-4852. I just called the Ward Office and reported the sink hole. This is how the City that Works works.
That could very well be. Individual results may vary, but an aldermanic aide calling Streets and San is still better than John Q. Public calling Streets and San. Clean alleys and paved streets are still what get aldermen re-elected (that and avoiding indictment :-o).
I noticed that too. Thanks all. It looked a little DIY rather than a CDOT marking, but at least it's something, and may make it more noticeable to them as well.

Pete said:
There was something plugged into the hole and the pavement was spray painted red. Still not fixed, but someone made it obvious to proceed with caution!
Yeah, I rode by again yesterday and saw the red spray paint. Kudos to whoever did that as it is now fully visible. With that, I am hopeful for it being fixed as it is now a nuisance (not just a bump) to any bus going along there. CTA has a little more clout, it seems.....
if only it was october and the november elections were coming up ...

THAT is the time to show your precinct captain/ ward office your shopping lists of needed city services

just tell them you are voting for their connected guys

[its OK to lie about that]
I called Mara in Ald. Waguespack's office again today. She was able to check on her super-secret City of Chicago website to see if the sinkhole is identified in the CDOT system yet, and it is not. I asked her to make it so, and to call me back. Have not yet received a return call. Could someone who passes 3541 N Lincoln please keep this link updated on its status, so I don't continue to whine after its fixed. I went by the hole last night but it is not a regular route for me.
I spoke with Mara from the "fighting 32nd Ward" again today. The 3541 N Lincoln sinkhole is "in the system" (Streets and Sanitation) with effective date July 1st. Will everyone please synchronize your sundials...
Hey Pete-

Is there still the Department of Water Management (DWM) reflector stuck in the sinkhole? Any other changes? When did thye repave Lincoln/Southport?

Pete said:
Okay, explicame algo. Why is it that the city can tear up the street (Lincoln and Southport), repave it by the next day, but still not have filled in the gaping sink hole outside 3541 N Lincoln?
I shouldn't complain. The city did repave the intersection quickly and I'm happy they did. But I keep thinking I'll ride my bike over that sink hole and fall in.
Odd numbered addresses are northbound or eastbound side of the street (at least on the north side).
Even numbered addresses are southbound or westbound side.
Unless, of course, it's a one-way street.

h3 said:
Just reported.
311 wait time = ~15 minutes-- it's been like that for about the last 3 weeks. Thank god for speaker phones.
Questions:
Size and shape: I took a guess and said "mostly round, about 12"-- how did I do?
Curb lane vs. middle of the street: these black and white questions usually stump the operator but mine did OK with an "in-between" response.
She never asked whether northbound or southbound lane.
VD.
I agree that steel grated bridges suck when wet.
I have noticed however that tire choice can make a huge difference. I started out commuting on IRC Metro Duro 26 x 1.95. These tires behaved horrible when the roads were wet and even when the roads where dry they would sometimes slip over the grates. Fed up with them I switched to Schwalbe Marthon Supreme 26 x 2.0. They seems to love wet roads. Even in the winter I safely cross steel grated bridges with them. I also ride Vittoria Randonneur Pro 700x35c. They fall somewhat inbetween. Great on dry roads so-so on wet roads
Duppie

Video_Drome said:
I heard people on the SS were doing it themselves with quickrete and driveway asphalt.

OT but not really...how about the bridges downtown? today when it was wet, i nearly lost it on La Salle...

would it kill the city to put a line of cement on the bridges like on Harrison?
These posts are very useful. If someone were to become injured due to the condition of the roadway, a record of having notified the city may help an injured cyclist's claim against the city for failure to maintain the roadway. (It might even get the hazard fixed.)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service