The Chainlink

9/20/12 Damen from Division to Jackson is "Rough Grooved Surface." Plan accordingly.

Views: 11118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's disappointing that they only did such small pieces of Hubbard, although those were the worst pieces.  That cratered section of Racine got resurfaced, too?  Historic event!  Woo hoo!  I'll drink to that.  ;)

Kevin C said:

10/22/12: The Hubbard refurbish appears to be completed and sadly, only includes 1.25 blocks; i.e. Carpenter to Morgan and the Racine & Hubbard intersection. On a more positive note, Racine from Grand to the tracks was resurfaced for the 1st time since the Clinton administration. 

I forgot about this one, but was reminded last night.  It has been this way for at least the last couple of weeks.

Southport on the east side of the street between Wellington and Belmont has what looks to be sewer work going on.  The parking lane and the entire bike lane are taken out, and the northbound travel lane is narrowed.  It does not look much changed from when I was there a couple of weeks ago and when I rode there last night.  The southbound side is fine (well, as fine as it was) except for the problem of northbound traffic crowding southbound traffic which then crowds the bike lane.

They've put down the first layer of asphalt.  At least it's a little more rideable now.

Anne Alt said:

Today workers were jackhammering the humps around the now-raised manhole covers. Unfortunately, they only got the broken asphalt pieces removed east of Clark.  Tonight the mix is wet, rough grooved surface, craters filled with water, and (west of Clark) raised manhole covers surrounded by broken chunks of asphalt. If you can avoid Van Buren, you're better off.

Anne Alt said:

Van Buren was ground down for repaving today. Extremely rough grooved surface with many sharp-edged bumps.

Not sure of the total length of the construction area, but it runs at least from State to Financial Pl.

I am pleased to announce that Grand Avenue is, as of today, Rough Grooved Surface from Ogden east to Milwaukee. Won't be long now.

That's overdue.  Looking forward to smoother rides there.  :)

Kevin C said:

I am pleased to announce that Grand Avenue is, as of today, Rough Grooved Surface from Ogden east to Milwaukee. Won't be long now.

The bike lanes on Roosevelt by my office (Roosevelt/Wood) are getting ripped up, not sure what they are doing.

They redid a whole stretch of Hubbard a couple years ago, Ashland to Ogden, and Damen to Ashland before that. I find Hubbard to be one of the smoothest rides around up until Ogden (and then it's only a few blocks to Kinzie). Can't wait for the Grand resurface to be done. 

Anne Alt said:

It's disappointing that they only did such small pieces of Hubbard, although those were the worst pieces.  That cratered section of Racine got resurfaced, too?  Historic event!  Woo hoo!  I'll drink to that.  ;)

Kevin C said:

10/22/12: The Hubbard refurbish appears to be completed and sadly, only includes 1.25 blocks; i.e. Carpenter to Morgan and the Racine & Hubbard intersection. On a more positive note, Racine from Grand to the tracks was resurfaced for the 1st time since the Clinton administration. 

And now it's done - nice smooth surface, freshly striped.

Anne Alt said:

Van Buren was ground down for repaving today. Extremely rough grooved surface with many sharp-edged bumps.

Not sure of the total length of the construction area, but it runs at least from State to Financial Pl.

Foster Ave.(5200N) is closed on the west side of Ravenswood (1800W) for ongoing Metra track work.

Heads up the section of Illinois Ave between Clark and Dearborn, right by the fire station, is tore up.  It's just that block so I wouldn't say it requires a detour.  I'll report back if it gets worse.  

With the Wacker Drive construction project nearing its end, here are a few updates from my building management:

Jackson is now open heading east from Wacker

VanBuren and Wacker are set to open on 11/30

Starting 11/30 Franklin will return to one-way (north) traffic over the course of a few weeks

Thank you!  Since I often need to ride between LaSalle St. station and points west, and the Harrison bridge construction seems endless, this is excellent news.

Kevin said:

With the Wacker Drive construction project nearing its end, here are a few updates from my building management:

Jackson is now open heading east from Wacker

VanBuren and Wacker are set to open on 11/30

Starting 11/30 Franklin will return to one-way (north) traffic over the course of a few weeks

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service