The Chainlink

I have a road bike that has served me well for almost 10 years, but I'm not doing a ton of road riding anymore because I have kids now. I want a Surly Long Haul trucker or commute and long rides. Question: Does it make any sense just to buy the Surly Long Haul Trucker frame and some wheels and strip my road bike of it's components, seat, bars, etc to build a new bike? Is that even possible? How much would it to have someone rebuild a bike? Or should I just buy the Surly for $1300.

Another question I have is can I install a rear rack and also be able to put a Burley trailer on the bike? I can't find any info about having both a rear rack and trailer on a bike. 

Views: 1182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with Yasmeen. I was sure I wanted a LHT until I test rode a Cross Check. I bought the Cross Check.
Here is my $.02 as a long time owner of an LHT.

1.       The LHT is a great bike that can do exactly what you are asking: it’s truck-like stability makes for a great commuting bike for Chicago’s potholed streets. It has been my primary commuter for the last 3-4 years now (18 miles RT, 3-4 times/week). I’ve also used it for long rides, including RAIL (175 miles across Illinois in 15.5 hours). It is not the fastest bike, but I’ve found it to be very comfortable for long-distances. As far as loading it up goes: I’ve used it with a Bob trailer (a single-wheel trailer connected at the rear axle). I’ve also used it with two panniers loaded up with groceries. The panniers maxed out, jet the bike still handled very stable. I have never ridden it with kids.

2.       I had it custom built up in 2007. Not sure if I would do that again. I would likely go with the standard components and then upgrade as things wear out, or if I really dislike them. It ended up costing significantly more (about 80% over base price, if I remember correctly), and at that time I didn’t really understand the nuances of the different parts. So while I got a bike with better quality parts, I do not know if those parts were a good compromise between cost and performance.

3.       Using parts from a road bike may or may not work. For example, brakes on a road bike are the caliper type, and the LHT has cantilever bosses for either V-brakes or cantilevers. Also, the LHT really benefits from wider tires, which may require wider rims than you have on your road bike.

4.       All major other manufacturers make very similar bikes. They are all made in the Far East, and since they all use OEM components, they all have very similar levels of quality (provided they are at the same price point). So while it may make sense to look around at different brands, and models, at some point the choice does come down to things like brand name, color, or whether the bike shop treated you nice.

Good luck. Buying a new bike is always exiting

I'm sorry to hear that experience. Most shops don't do a full stock of Surly but I'm sure there is someone that can help you with what you are looking for.

The two shops I know that are passionate about Surly are Johnny Sprockets and Comrade Cycles. Recently, Manuel Tenorio, the owner of Johnny Sprockets shared his thoughts about the perfect bike for a Zombie Apocalypse... a Surly Cross Check.

When I was shopping for my Surly, I had great, low key customer service from both BikeFix in Oak Park and Rapid Transit (both locations).

great! I live by johnny sprockets in andersonville. 

I bought my LHT at Comrade Cycles.  I love those guys.  And they like Surly.  

I needed the smallest frame, so it had to be ordered but it came in pretty quickly.  Then I wanted some changes and Bailey and Steve patiently worked with me to get the right components.  I recommend them highly.

thanks for the recommendations!

http://2bici.com/

Joe sold me my KM frame, advised me on the size, gave me a discount, gave me tips on components to use and more! I told them right away that I wanted to build it myself and that I already had some parts that I wanted to use and he was cool about it so he got my business.

Yes they had to order it.

I bought my LHT from REI. It was a year or so old so the price was pretty low. After it was hit I had a new front wheel built by Justin(?) at Johnny Sprockets in Lakeview before they moved. I scavenged everything that wasn't broken and bought a new frame/fork from Amazon which happened to have an insanely low price for another last year model. I also considered the Velo-Orange Campeur (which was out of stock at the time or I probably would have gotten that) and the Soma Saga frames, but the LHT frame came along at the right time.

It's good for commuting but not particularly fast with the gears and tires I've chosen unless you really want to push yourself. For loaded multi-day trips it's fantastic. Everything feels and moves slower, but there's a certain inertia that's built up that makes it feel effortless. The ride's also very smooth with the extra weight. 

There is bike shop in East Dundee (I know, its way out there) that handles Surly called Main Street Bikes.  They have treated me well when I needed shoes and bar tape, and the staff seems pretty excited to talk about the LHT.  You can get there from bike using the Illinois Prairie Path if you have a day to spend out riding!

Take a look at the All City Space Horse. It's geometry is somewhere between the Surly Crosscheck and the LHT. It has all the mounts for racks and fenders. I have one and love it.  It's great for commuting and can be loaded for touring.

I'd love to look at one of those, too. Do you know if anyone local sells them so I could test ride?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service