The Chainlink

*Please post widely*
PROTEST CHICAGO'S OLYMPIC BID
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 29
5:30PM at CITY HALL (121 N. LA SALLE ST.)

LET THE INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE KNOW THAT
CHICAGOANS DO NOT WANT THE OLYMPIC GAMES.
The City of Chicago currently has a $500 million budget gap. Chicago Public Schools
are being closed and the CTA is crumbling. The city is staggering from one budget crisis
to the next - and the Mayor's Office is already predicting that the 2010 budget will be worse
than 2009.

Meanwhile, Chicago's City Council has put the taxpayers on the hook for any cost overruns
that would occur if the city gets the Olympics. And Olympics and cost overruns go hand in
hand. Currently, the City of Vancouver, host of the 2012 Winter Olympics is on the hook for
$6 billiion in Olympics cost overruns - which may bankrupt the city. The 2012 Summer Games
in London are 4-times over budget, with a total bill of at least $20 billion.

On October 2nd the International Olympic Committee will decide on the host city for the 2016
Olympic Games. Let you voice be heard... Protest the Chicago 2016 Olympic Bid.

CHICAGO NEEDS BETTER HOSPITALS, HOUSING, SCHOOLS AND
TRAINS... NOT OLYMPIC GAMES.
Endorsed by: NO GAMES: Chicago, Southside Together Organizing for Power (STOP),
Answer Chicago, Caucus of Rank and File Educators (CORE), International Socialist
Organization, Northside Action for Justice, Green Party Chicago, March 10th Movement, Pilsen Alliance.

For more information or to endorse this action contact: nogameschicago@gmail.com, call (312) 235-2873
or visit nogameschicago.com.

Views: 146

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hope he is. And hopefully that coolness is still around when large amounts of money are involved. Of course, there's no guarantee that you'll still be at the same place in 2016.

mattbikes1 said:
Absolutely, but my landlord is a pretty cool guy. I would take a vacation or at least pay off some of my students loans with my cut.
Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
I assume you own as opposed to rent. I have a feeling landlords would want a cut (or all) if you subletted for a bunch of money during the Games.

mattbikes1 said:
If I could sublet my place for the endurance of the games for a huge markup then hell yea!
Mr.Tank-

The games are in 2016. Please make a note of it.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
I hope he is. And hopefully that coolness is still around when large amounts of money are involved. Of course, there's no guarantee that you'll still be at the same place in 2012.

mattbikes1 said:
Absolutely, but my landlord is a pretty cool guy. I would take a vacation or at least pay off some of my students loans with my cut.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
I assume you own as opposed to rent. I have a feeling landlords would want a cut (or all) if you subletted for a bunch of money during the Games.

mattbikes1 said:
If I could sublet my place for the endurance of the games for a huge markup then hell yea!
Done.

(I must be too eager about the 3 Days of Darkness in 2012.)

Kevin Conway said:
Mr.Tank-
The games are in 2016. Please make a note of it.
Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
I hope he is. And hopefully that coolness is still around when large amounts of money are involved. Of course, there's no guarantee that you'll still be at the same place in 2012.

mattbikes1 said:
Absolutely, but my landlord is a pretty cool guy. I would take a vacation or at least pay off some of my students loans with my cut.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
I assume you own as opposed to rent. I have a feeling landlords would want a cut (or all) if you subletted for a bunch of money during the Games.

mattbikes1 said:
If I could sublet my place for the endurance of the games for a huge markup then hell yea!
I hear ya'.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Done.

(I must be too eager about the 3 Days of Darkness in 2012.)

Kevin Conway said:
Mr.Tank-
The games are in 2016. Please make a note of it.
Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
I hope he is. And hopefully that coolness is still around when large amounts of money are involved. Of course, there's no guarantee that you'll still be at the same place in 2012.

mattbikes1 said:
Absolutely, but my landlord is a pretty cool guy. I would take a vacation or at least pay off some of my students loans with my cut.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
I assume you own as opposed to rent. I have a feeling landlords would want a cut (or all) if you subletted for a bunch of money during the Games.

mattbikes1 said:
If I could sublet my place for the endurance of the games for a huge markup then hell yea!
Up with new velodrome! DOWN WITH THE OLYMPICS!
FYI from today's Crain's 10 Things column:

Be surrounded by a crowd of fellow boosters when the International Olympic Committee makes its 2016 OLYMPICS ANNOUNCEMENT. Win or lose host city status, you can enjoy the company of others when the city gets the news. The rally takes place at Daley Plaza. Oct. 2, 11:30 a.m. 50 W. Washington St., www.explorechicago.org.
Sorry, too busy working. Maybe they'll let those hippies out of jail to attend.

Kevin Conway said:
FYI from today's Crain's 10 Things column:
Be surrounded by a crowd of fellow boosters when the International Olympic Committee makes its 2016 OLYMPICS ANNOUNCEMENT. Win or lose host city status, you can enjoy the company of others when the city gets the news. The rally takes place at Daley Plaza. Oct. 2, 11:30 a.m. 50 W. Washington St., www.explorechicago.org.
How bourgeois.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Sorry, too busy working. Maybe they'll let those hippies out of jail to attend.

Kevin Conway said:
FYI from today's Crain's 10 Things column:
Be surrounded by a crowd of fellow boosters when the International Olympic Committee makes its 2016 OLYMPICS ANNOUNCEMENT. Win or lose host city status, you can enjoy the company of others when the city gets the news. The rally takes place at Daley Plaza. Oct. 2, 11:30 a.m. 50 W. Washington St., www.explorechicago.org.
Sorry, gotta eat. Maybe if they had it after work...

Kevin Conway said:
How bourgeois.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Sorry, too busy working. Maybe they'll let those hippies out of jail to attend.

Kevin Conway said:
FYI from today's Crain's 10 Things column:
Be surrounded by a crowd of fellow boosters when the International Olympic Committee makes its 2016 OLYMPICS ANNOUNCEMENT. Win or lose host city status, you can enjoy the company of others when the city gets the news. The rally takes place at Daley Plaza. Oct. 2, 11:30 a.m. 50 W. Washington St., www.explorechicago.org.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service