The Chainlink

I've had a long standing job offer in Portland and I am seriously considering making my way to the West coast in the fall. I love Chicago summers and bike culture here, but I will admit it really does suck when it gets cold out. I could use a long vacation away from all the rude angry macho types that seem to only become more dominating as time moves forward here in Chicago and the midwest. Chicago is the place to work and make money but I am more interested in being green, having fun and being around a generally friendly city. It seems that there is no more Critical Mass ride in Portland and I have not found much info on what is really going on with bike culture other than the basic mainstream stuff that is pretty common to every major city. Anyone know what the deal is over there ? I did look up some of the laws regarding bikes and cars from the DMV and it does not specifically state anything about tallbiking but I am unsure if I will have a problem doing what I like to do here in Chicago vs. Portland. I don't like to ride the tallbike all the time but if I carry lots of stuff or am on a fun ride it is usually my first choice. I'm also curious as to traffic rush hours in General because sometimes I do like to drive, just not on the Edens at 5pm. If anyone is hip to all this can you refer me to links and some interesting people I can get to know over the summer so when I do appear it won't be like I am going to a strange place. I do have friends and family 45 miles south of Portland but they are not really hip to the things I am into and I do not plan to live outside of the city if/when I do show. Thanks ... Marty

Views: 193

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Zoobomb every Sunday night at 8 PM.
Look up Jonathan Maus's various sites to see what's happening.
Besides him, I think Reverend Phil's the only one really trying to facilitate a "scene."
Many cyclists there are like you-- they think everything's good enough and that bike advocates are worthy of scorn. You'll fit right in, as well as you'd be able to fit in anywhere.
I visited Portland in 6/08 and rode a rented bike for a couple of days. It was a great experience. Drivers were generally mellower than here. There were LOTS of bikes in and around downtown Portland and plenty of bike racks. Their light rail system (Tri-Met) accommodates bikes much better than CTA or Metra. Portland has a good network of bike lanes, which were very well used.

Tri-Met has streetcar-type tracks - something to beware of, especially downtown. My overall impression was that it's a really great place to get around by bike. Also a great place for local brewpubs and craft brewing.

A local shop there offers Brompton and Bakfiets bikes for rental.

Bike Portland is a pretty cool resource. It includes a Portland-area bike forum. Happy exploring!
I am gonna be mainly chopping most of my rides and I do the occasional normal day on the road bike. I don't really have to ride the tallbike around downtown unless there is Mass or I am out with some freak bike club having fun or promoting something useful. Nice to have a car around for excursions into the hills but I am sure they have rentals too. The Bike Portland site is ok, just not much info about rides and Chicago type of stuff. I do realize it is a small town compared to Chicago though. I only may only stay the season anyway and am getting too worked up too far in advance. I am lucky my entire life does not revolve around bikes or should it ?

Anne Alt said:
I visited Portland in 6/08 and rode a rented bike for a couple of days. It was a great experience. Drivers were generally mellower than here. There were LOTS of bikes in and around downtown Portland and plenty of bike racks. Their light rail system (Tri-Met) accommodates bikes much better than CTA or Metra. Portland has a good network of bike lanes, which were very well used.

Tri-Met has streetcar-type tracks - something to beware of, especially downtown. My overall impression was that it's a really great place to get around by bike. Also a great place for local brewpubs and craft brewing.

Bike Portland is a pretty cool resource. It includes a Portland-area bike forum. Happy exploring!
Portland, OR gets high marks from League of American Bicyclists due to Portland's overall bicycle friendliness. In fact, Portland gets higher scores for city bicycling than does Chicago. And the weather is less cold there. If a tall bike works in Chicago, why shouldn't it in Portland? You do mean Portland, Oregon and not Portland, Maine? Tall bikes might have problems in the Winter in Maine.
Bruce
You are far superior to those sorry souls whose "entire lives revolve around bicycling."
Keep treading the path of goodness and righteousness and I'm sure everything will fall into place for you.

cutifly said:
I am gonna be mainly chopping most of my rides and I do the occasional normal day on the road bike. I don't really have to ride the tallbike around downtown unless there is Mass or I am out with some freak bike club having fun or promoting something useful. Nice to have a car around for excursions into the hills but I am sure they have rentals too. The Bike Portland site is ok, just not much info about rides and Chicago type of stuff. I do realize it is a small town compared to Chicago though. I only may only stay the season anyway and am getting too worked up too far in advance. I am lucky my entire life does not revolve around bikes or should it ?

Anne Alt said:

And yet for all the alleged utopia they don't seem to fare any better than Chicago in terms of cyclist deaths by automobile per annum-- and that's straight numerically, not percentage-wise.

Anne Alt said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service