The Chainlink

Some of you likely noticed that mybikelane.com has shut down*, stating "This has always been a side project, and unfortunately I do not have time to properly maintain the site or the service."  There's a TCL thread about it here.

But I still regularly hear need for such functionality.  People are muddling through using Facebook or Twitter or Tumblr.  But I could easily render it with massup.us** so I want to explore the issue.

This is probably contentious, so let's stay focused:

1. Is it legal?  LAWYERS please: No public expectation of privacy versus publishing license plate numbers?  You tell me.

2. Is there already a good place/way to post such photos?

* You can still see what MyBikeLane.com looked like in the internet archives here.

** MassUp.us can automatically post emailed photos with geolocation.  It'd work exactly like the abandoned bikes reporting here: http://massup.us/llbb/c
If it's legal and not already well done, I'd add an address like douche@massup.us - just need a better name, and to be sure it's not a terrible idea.

And CONGRATS JULIE!!!!!!

Views: 1158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess I shoulda known this would turn into nay saying and arguments of ethics and efficacy, when all I sought was feedback on legality and options.  Oh well.

Personally, I think it has at least an aggregate effect, increasing awareness of the problem.  And record keeping and defensive functions (as in when Critical Mass photographs angry cagers in case / to prevent them doing anything).  I'd never expect a driver to run across their own photo, and wasn't limiting to the case of bike lane parkers.

I see examples of the topic regularly on the massup.us news feed, so there's definitely interest.  Such as this one from John Amdor yesterday: "GoPro video of stuff that irks me!" which includes laneparkers and bad cyclists.

Web searching a bit, the @thisisabikelane Twitter user seems to have collected a few locally.

I found no relevant hashtags in common use.  I recommend #mybikelane (as opposed to cluttering #bikechi)

There's also IBlockTheBikeLane.com which seems local, but maybe inactive.  Not a photo destination, they give away stickers (for donation), which cyclist can put on offending cars, leading drivers back to the site for info about the risk they've put cyclists in.  But I can't be bothered to carry stickers.

So bottom lines:

1. Seems legal enough, at least on personal scale.

2. There is no existing system for it I could find.

3. Tweeting such photos with @thisisabikelane and/or #mybikelane is a workable solution worth using and promulgating.

Andrew, 

I'm sorry you took your website down. IMO, it's greatest utility is the documentation of an on-going problem.  Documentation is an incredible tool to getting things changed in our modern society.

Such documentation would be useful in lobbying officials to provide greater enforcement of the bike lane ordinance.

Hope you're able to start it up again!

Thanx!  But MyBikeLane.com wasn't mine.  In some of my web research I saw others mention contacting its author to offer to take over hosting.  So there's hope yet.

But at least now I know Twitter's an alternative

OH yeah, that sounds right.  The key is can't be used for profit.  I had a friend who appeared accidentally in a brochure, photographed while in public, and it was a problem.  So... any MyBikeLane type service would have to not be a commercial enterprise.

I enjoyed that site! Maybe The (new and improved) Chainlink can have a thread of sorts that people can post parked in the bike lane photos.

I suppose one could already create that.  A MyBikeLane thread here.  Nice idea!  Feel free.

I always figure though such a thing must be impulse capable, to post in a flash.

One can email photos to TheChainLink.org (MyStuff > My Photos > Add Photos, near lower right it shows personal email address just like Facebook).  That goes to your personal photos, and lacks geolocation, but it's something.

I never used mybikelane as a cyclist because I assumed it didn't get a ton of traffic, judging by the relative lack of comments for the photos and well...lack of photos.  Since Steven Vance has proved getting law enforcement to seek justice for the offenders was pretty fruitless via more proactive means, a site like Mybikelane seemed to sadly exist somewhere in the ether of irrelevancy (like most things with a www. attached to them) on the net.  That said, I'm not opposed to it's reemergence since as you say, Andrew, it could contribute to an aggregate effect if more and more people take (any) action to keep cyclists rights in the public eye.  

I'm not sure what Dug or H' 1.0 are hoping to see done about the bike lane parkers, but posting in this thread has surely given them an outlet to voice a contrarian opinion and stir some people up.   

When in public spaces where you are lawfully present you have the right to photograph anything that is in plain view.

Andrew,

Let me first clarify that I am NOT a lawyer.

The reason Google blurs faces and license plate is because they do not want stupid people looking for the Purple person with a yellow shirt and brown pants standing next to the red sedan with the AZ license plate that read "1D1OT" at the corner of Adams and Halsted, when they are actually at the corner of Adams and Halsted and can't find those things.

And please tell me that you don't know at least one person that that exact scenario would actually make them look for those things?

Just saying.

Respectfully,

Manny

Andrew Bedno said:

If legal, why then does Google street view blur them?  I'll wait for a lawyer to chime in.

Also,

Since Rahm and McCarthy are so into using technology for policing the public (kind of like tracking  personnel in the military - Blue Force Tracker, for all of you military types out there)....isn't there a "liason" to CPD (like maybe an Active Trans member, DOT worker, etc) that we could send pics (time & date stamped, with location in a brief description? And Have CPD get "bike cops" (sorry, I don't know their actual designation...Bicycle-mounted Police Officers? BMPO's ?BPO's?) in every district/neighborhood/etc. (instead of JUST in the downtown/MAG MILE area).

Their responsibilities would be to enforce parking/bike lanes (and responding to nearby calls, of course) within their assigned sector/district/etc.

We could send in the pics to a dispatcher/liason/etc.. that would then be sent out to the appropriate districts/etc.

And for those of you that will use the "wild goose chase" arguement....

It would save $ in "wear & tear" costs of cars/SUV's, make the offciers fitter/healthier, and (I think most importantly) it allows the officers to have a better/closer interaction with the public (community) that they serve. (like they used to do whe I was growing up in Little Village. The Police Officers in the 23rd & Drake area - as well as the ones that worked in the Piotrowski Park (31st & Keeler) area - knew my name, my dad, what team I played for, what our ranking was within the league, when we were going to have pizza parties at Home Run Inn Pizza, etc - and NOT because I was always in trouble !  I have NEVER been arrested in my life ! And no member of my family - immediate or extended - is in CPD. They seemed more concerned about "their" commmunity - yes, they were considered members of the communities that they patrolled - than almost all of the officers that I have met since retiring from the military and decideing to return to my hometown. The more modern officers suffer from an arrogant, self-imposed, elitism that serves to only distance themselves from the communities that they serve. I am willing to bet that there is only a handful of police officers that have "a finger on the pulse" of their assigned community/district. They are so out of touch with the public that they serve.

Aren't those positive things?

Sorry, everyone, out on a tangent.

My apologies.

Respectfully,

Manny

You know, aggeregate data is more useful if it's collected in consideration of an underlying plan. What if there was a "list violations by ward" feature, along with a "what to say to your alderman" kit, available for download?

I guess the underlying plan would be to...stop people from driving/parking in the bike lane?  Your idea would be something nice to see on a wish list for someone like Active Trans, League of Illinois Bicyclists to come up with though.  

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service