The Chainlink

I am very interested in learning about the Chicago Perimeter Century. Who, what, where, and when? Sounds like an interesting bicycle adventure.

Views: 2069

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi all.... Anyone know if there's been any chatter on this year's Perimeter Ride?

The TWELFTH perimiter ride will likely be in September, and will be preceded by chatter and planning on tCL.

The eleventh left about 9am Saturday September 29th 2012 and finished under 80 miles later (it's not a century) back near the start before 2am (~17hrs).

http://massup.us/now/r?d=20120929 

John Greenfield passed on leadership last year to a worthy crew including Misters Gebhart, Mac and Kaufman. http://gridchicago.com/2012/the-chicago-perimeter-ride-a-century-fo...

All I'll toss in is please don't do it on Saturday the 7th. Hideout Block Party... 

And, the weather at the end of Sept. last year was lovely and perfect for the ride...

The day was lovely indeed. But remember that part of it (from 19:00 to 02:00 or so) is ridden in the dark. It was too cold to enjoy a social group ride. earlier in September is better, and late August is best...

Sarah D. 1-3.3 said:

All I'll toss in is please don't do it on Saturday the 7th. Hideout Block Party... 

And, the weather at the end of Sept. last year was lovely and perfect for the ride...

it was a great time, we look forward to doing it again this year.

I hope I can finally make it this year!

The chainlink/Ning search function has gone from bad to non-existent in the last few days. Observe:

We couldn't find anything that matches "bicycle". Why not search for something else?

We couldn't find anything that matches "bike". Why not search for something else?

Evan said:

We couldn't find anything that matches "perimeter ride". Why not search for something else?

Kevin C said:

If you use the search term "perimeter ride" in the upper right hand corner of this page, you'll get 26 pages of photos and threads about the ride.

I have not attended, although I want to.  From what I hear there are more than a "few" food/beer stops. Besides, anyone can ride--even slowpokes like me.

Mike F said:

17 hours to go 80 miles? That's about 4.7 miles per hour. You must have a few food/beer stops along the way. I better bring extra batteries for the headlight.

Andrew Bedno said:

The TWELFTH perimiter ride will likely be in September, and will be preceded by chatter and planning on tCL.

The eleventh left about 9am Saturday September 29th 2012 and finished under 80 miles later (it's not a century) back near the start before 2am (~17hrs).

http://massup.us/now/r?d=20120929 

John Greenfield passed on leadership last year to a worthy crew including Misters Gebhart, Mac and Kaufman. http://gridchicago.com/2012/the-chicago-perimeter-ride-a-century-fo...

Indeed, most of the stops don't actually focus on drinking beer, but more on checking out various points of interest along the route.  There's also tons of places that one can jump on the L or metra (since it crosses all the lines) if you get half way through but get tuckered out.  

Mike F said:

It appears there are many stops to view objects (buildings etc ) of historical significance. Interesting

Lisa Curcio 6.5 mi said:

I have not attended, although I want to.  From what I hear there are more than a "few" food/beer stops. Besides, anyone can ride--even slowpokes like me.

The size of the group slows things down.  With 50+ riders we're bound to have a few flats.  Food stops take awhile since most places can't handle an influx of a group our size that fast.  Longer stops last year included a brewery tour, a look around the Pullman site, Rainbow Cone, Super Dawg, Calumet Fisheries and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

Was last year a new route? I remember it coming pretty close to 100 miles in the past. I also agree with the late August timeline. Drinking beer by the lake at night in cooler weather may not be too much fun. :)

The first perimeter ride I did was in 2003, left from the Handlebar at 10am and arrived back at the Handlebar some time around 2am.  That was my first century, and it was only a century because I had done more riding to get there/back.  I think the actual ride was like 95 miles or something.  There were like 10-15 people, probably 3 flats, and more stops than I would have preferred by the end.  I spent most of the day getting to know Sarah Kaplan, and while we didn't start dating that day, it wasn't long after. 

I guess what I'm sayin' is, the ride can be brutally slow, hot (or cold with the date change) AND it can be a life altering event in many great ways.  DO IT!  Even if you have to leave early or take the CTA to bail (done that too).

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service