The Chainlink

Good Day everyone!  I've been waiting to upgrade from my gravel bike to something with more speed and bought my first carbon framed road bike.  I've still actively learning everything I can about frames but I need advice from the bicycling chorus.  However when I got it out of the box I noticed a "ding" or "knick" on the seat tube.  After searching online for advice I'm still not certain if I should keep the frame or send it back under warranty (due to being unsafe, I'm fine with a small imperfection because this was impossible for find).  Thanks for taking the time to read and answer.  I've uploaded another photo thats a bit back from the "ding".

Views: 574

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's really hard to tell from the photo if that's something that would give trouble in the future.  Normally on a new frame any imperfection is cause to return for another. 

If it's new, I'd try to send it back. Is it from a major brand?

OK, I am an old-timer who has many old steel frame bikes.  Some have dents.  Most have many dings much larger than this one.  Do you guys who ride carbon plan for the frames to just last a couple of years?  This is a serious question.  I already know about the many advantages of carbon frames, so no need to recap that.

I have a 1992 carbon Trek - one of the first OCLV frames.  So no, they can last as long as any other material.  I try to avoid dings on a bike of any material, the Trek looks like new.  Impacts are hard on carbon.  An impact that might result in a dent on a steel frame could do enough damage to a carbon frame that it could result in a serious failure if not repaired.   A friend snagged his RD cage in the spokes while riding off road.  The hanger broke and the derailleur slapped the back side of the carbon seat stay, shattering it.   I've never had that happen but expect a steel frame would have fared better.

I guess if you are using a carbon frame for sport (and not transportation), you should (with reasonable care) be able to avoid damaging impacts, and enjoy the stiffness and light weight.  I don't have any doubt that a carbon frame can be ridden longer than the rider can live...

There will be no 40 year old carbon bikes...

Eddy Merckx rode steel. 

Just sayin'

:D

If you can stand to be without it for a few weeks I'd send it back. For the expense you don't want to take a chance that it was impact.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service