Calling all Chainlinker's!!!
 Rapid Transit Cycles is opening a new store at 1305 S Halsted on March 31st! We look forward to being the south loop's transportation alternative. So get the word out!! It's going to be a great summer!!  Ride safe, and we'll see you then!!

Views: 257

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Will you have more Bike Friday models to test ride than at your other store? I love their folding bikes. I bought an Express Tikit from you/Bike Friday, but would love to test ride other models in the near future. Thanks.
mfa cycle factory said:
As long as the mechanics are just as friendly and cool as Rob
and Bailey, I am all for it.

H3N3 said:
Kind of telling that nobody even mentions Kozy's.....
I don't know their names, but I'll concur. I've had a couple of great experiences with the mechanics at the South Loop Kozy. I'm also grateful that they bothered to open a shop sort of on my commute, so I'll continue to give them some occasional business on days when Blue City or Irv's is closed or doesn't have what I need in stock. Last time I needed some bearings, Kozy was the only near south side shop that had them in the size I needed.
The Chicago cycling community grows
mfa cycle factory said:
As long as the mechanics are just as friendly and cool as Rob
and Bailey, I am all for it.



never !

those are my two favorite rock-star mechanics ! (seriously)
they (literally) work for beer too ! how cool is that ???

DB (owner of the raleigh 'lady killer' (named by Robby))
ERCHLVRSN said:
Finally a decent shop on the South Side – sorry the other 2 really suck, limited on all fronts!!!

Um...

Blue City is, after less than a year, already my favorite bike shop in Chicago, on all fronts.

Irv's is a stalwart presence with big shoulders. I've been relying on them in one way or another for a decade; there's been a shop on that corner for nearly 40 years.

Both are deeply invested in their neighborhoods, with keen eyes for their constituencies, and are run by smart, friendly people.

The Maxwell Street corridor is a great place for a new shop to thrive and be useful. I'm glad it's a shop like Rapid Transit. This is an opportunity to celebrate the good fortunes of the bike community, and maybe for you to reflect on what that means. :)
Finally a decent shop on the South Side – sorry the other 2 really suck, limited on all fronts!!!

That's a bit much—there are three really good shops in Hyde Park and Woodlawn alone. I'll admit South Side shops tend to be a bit quirky and niche-oriented, but that's not really a bad thing. At any rate, great to see Rapid Transit expanding, especially in this economy.
I think this proves that the South Side pie is expanding.
First, have to add a plug for Rapid Transit Cycles. I finished a 3-week bike maintenance course there yesterday and have to say I had a great time and learned a ton. Thanks to Sam and John and Jeremiah and anyone else I forgot. I highly recommend the class no matter how much you think you know (or don't know) there is power in numbers and you can learn from others.

Second, 1200-1300 South Halsted is not the South Loop. Technically speaking it is the Near West Side. In recent years it has been rebranded as "University Village" and in years past it has been known as the "TriTaylor Area" or even just simply "Maxwell Street Market".
Lionel,

Is this a response to Mike's post about Rapid's 3-week Full Tune class, a bash against Rapid, or just paranoid posting?

And how is it related to the thread's subject of RT opening a new shop location?

Lionel Senderowicz said:
Always get a second opinion when going into ANY bike shop to confirm they're not just trying to sell you overpriced parts available online (or from a used bike) at a fraction of their cost.

Or...support your local bike shop! :) <3 :O)
Or it's just needlessly off-topic and in need of moderation.

Lionel Senderowicz said:
I'll let you figure that out:)
Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Lionel,

Is this a response to Mike's post about Rapid's 3-week Full Tune class, a bash against Rapid, or just paranoid posting? And how is it related to the thread's subject of RT opening a new shop location?

Lionel Senderowicz said:
Always get a second opinion when going into ANY bike shop to confirm they're not just trying to sell you overpriced parts available online (or from a used bike) at a fraction of their cost.

Or...support your local bike shop! :) <3 :O)
Lionel,

I just spent the last three Sunday nights in Rapid Transit and got to see how they operate, the parts they use, their business practices, and the skills of their mechanics. As a result, I have nothing but the highest respect and greatest regard for Rapid Transit. I bought several parts to use as a replacement on my bike and was pleased with all of them. The mechanics were knowledgeable, thorough, and conscientious.

Last night I saw one of the staff spend about an hour going over a receipt on a detailed custom order to make sure it was done properly. Few bike shops, let alone retail stores would do the same.

I work as an attorney prosecuting cases stemming from professional negligence. I also author the IllinoisBicycleLaw.com blog. I assure you if there was something wrong with that shop or any other I'd be the first one to point it out.

Rapid Transit is a great shop and does not deserve your vague accusations.

Lionel Senderowicz said:
Or it's just needlessly on topic and in need of moderation censorship

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Or it's just needlessly off-topic and in need of moderation.
Lionel Senderowicz said:
I'll let you figure that out:)
Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Lionel,

Is this a response to Mike's post about Rapid's 3-week Full Tune class, a bash against Rapid, or just paranoid posting? And how is it related to the thread's subject of RT opening a new shop location? Lionel Senderowicz said:
Always get a second opinion when going into ANY bike shop to confirm they're not just trying to sell you overpriced parts available online (or from a used bike) at a fraction of their cost.

Or...support your local bike shop! :) <3 :O)
I know. I actually wrote it and then thought the phrase was simply too politically incorrect and I deleted it. I was worried that it would sound anti-semetic even though it is a historical fact that is what the area was referred to as recently as the late 1990's by many Chicagoans. I didn't want it to seem that I condoned the language in any way and thought it best to just leave it alone. If anyone is curious, I'm sure a google search will give you the answer.

H3N3 said:
Was kind of hoping the RT folks would do their own research.
You did leave out the name by which most of the west side and much of the south side used to refer to the area (most west siders over 40 or so still do . . .)

Mike Keating said:
First, have to add a plug for Rapid Transit Cycles. I finished a 3-week bike maintenance course there yesterday and have to say I had a great time and learned a ton. Thanks to Sam and John and Jeremiah and anyone else I forgot. I highly recommend the class no matter how much you think you know (or don't know) there is power in numbers and you can learn from others.
Second, 1200-1300 South Halsted is not the South Loop. Technically speaking it is the Near West Side. In recent years it has been rebranded as "University Village" and in years past it has been known as the "TriTaylor Area" or even just simply "Maxwell Street Market".

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service