The Chainlink

Our team at the MBAC meeting just let us know that Elston (Division to North) and 18th (Clinton to Clark) will be the next protected bike lanes by the end of this year!

Thanks, CDOT!

Ethan Spotts, Active Trans

Views: 4923

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Dutch build something of much higher quality that lasts longer: red-dyed asphalt, or red-dyed brick. Brick may not seem like it's good to ride on. A majority of cycle tracks in Amsterdam are made of brick. They are easier to repair (when broken by tree roots or cracking, just replace the broken bricks) and when installed well, are comfortable to ride on (the Dutch also tend to ride with tires >32mm and with less air than seems optimal). The Dutch use asphalt mostly for inter-city paths, or side paths (cycle tracks that are separated from the main roadway by some distance, and not attached to a sidewalk like urban cycle tracks). 

Daniel G said:

Don't the Dutch just mix up green-colored asphalt for bike lanes instead of dumping hundreds of gallons of special paint onto them every few months? I'm going to take a flying leap and say that we here in the United States do not do civic projects well at all anymore compared to over there, and large projects usually fall to pessimism, parasitism, and rent-seeking/profiteering. 

I agree completely. It's great that one hand in CDOT (Bike Program) is talking to the other hand (the resurfacing group) in order to coordinate that. 

Franklin Boulevard is another separated bike lane installed on very bad pavement this year. 

Kelvin Mulcky said:

That may be true, but if resurfacing is scheduled, it makes sense to hold off until the work is finished. That way the city isn't doing all the work twice in a short period of time.

I did call him out on it. I yelled "dude, wtf?" at him, but I'm pretty sure his loud-ass motor muffled my yell.

Daniel G said:

You've got to call this out each and every time you see it. If I could make out the plate I'd do it myself.

It's not cute, it's not a fun ad-hoc use of space. It's prickish and entitled and dangerous.

Fuck these guys, and the bros on their Vespas. G.T.F.O. is the only appropriate response to this. We are not two-wheeled homies and Harley riders routinely give me inches of space while passing in a way cars rarely do.

Adam Herstein said:

Caught a motorcycle driving in the Elston bike lane yesterday. All kinds of illegal.

A very good point Cameron.

I readily admit that the proportion of jerks on motorcycles is well beyond the "few bad apples" ratio that many others might might claim.

This can be seen by the types of motorcycles available for sale in the USA and the fact that engine displacement (thus worse mileage and emissions) has been steadily increasing.   Just 20 years ago 750cc was considered a large-displacement motorcycle and the liter-class and above bikes were extremely rare.   Now 1000cc is basically considered the minimum for any non-beginner bike and the horsepower and displacement goes up from there.   Finding a <600cc bike that isn't a stripped-down entry-level toy is very hard in the USA.  In the rest of the world this isn't the case.   In Europe the majority of motorcycles are 250cc or smaller.  These bikes can easily get 85MPH or better.

Let's compare apples/apples here.   Comparing a Gold-wing or GSXR1800 to a Prius isn't fair.  Compare them to a Hummer or a Lamborghini. 

Cameron Puetz said:

I've always felt that their mode of transportation has little impact on the probability of people behaving like self entitled idiots. However it's always that bad apples that you remember, except for "your" mode where our tribal tendencies make it easier to forgive. Therefore we tend to hate everyone who doesn't travel like us.

Aren't those all cabs and isn't that the cab garage or whatever they call it right there?  Surely something can be done by contacting the people in charge there?  Of course, I really have no understanding of how all of the "cab thing" works, so maybe not.

Gopher Biker said:

5:25am Elston and Cortez

A Streets & San smaller/narrow sweeper was parked on Elston at North Ave.  So I asked the operator if his sweeper could fit between the curb and the white stop bar.  He said he just runs'em over and they swing back up.  3 cheers!

Kathy plates getting installed on the westbound side of the 18th St Bridge this morning!

That's great, but I can't help but feel that the southwest side of the city is completely overlooked.

1. Archer ave. West has a lane that disappears just a bit after Halsted. After that, well, watch your back. I live just off Archer and the Bicycle traffic has increased quite a bit in the past three years.

2. Damen ave. South of the Medical District, after crossing Roosevelt, gets a bit combative. Not ot mention crossing I55, the bridge has no lanes and the side walk is always riddled with glass and debris. Proceed with caution. 

3. Ashland in General feels like a death trap. I've had my share of scrapes wit the reeper on tha one.

4. Western ave., well the only lane there is between 32nd and 31st. Good Intention? 

Lets not forget the South...     

Is anyone else annoyed by the cars that park in the lane near Stanley's on Elston?  There is a whole parking lot right there, why do they park in the bike lane?

Archer will be getting lanes - planned in Streets for Cycling.  Stay tuned on that.

I recommend taking Loomis instead of either Ashland or Damen to cross I-55 (Stevenson) and the river.  Ashland IS a deathtrap.  That section of Damen isn't any better.  Both are totally designed for cars and trucks.

California is supposed to be getting lanes on the section crossing the river.  Not sure of the timeline, but it's in the Streets for Cycling plan.

There will be other southwest bike lanes/routes, too.  The southwest has NOT been forgotten.

Jose A. Terrazas said:

That's great, but I can't help but feel that the southwest side of the city is completely overlooked.

1. Archer ave. West has a lane that disappears just a bit after Halsted. After that, well, watch your back. I live just off Archer and the Bicycle traffic has increased quite a bit in the past three years.

2. Damen ave. South of the Medical District, after crossing Roosevelt, gets a bit combative. Not ot mention crossing I55, the bridge has no lanes and the side walk is always riddled with glass and debris. Proceed with caution. 

3. Ashland in General feels like a death trap. I've had my share of scrapes wit the reeper on tha one.

4. Western ave., well the only lane there is between 32nd and 31st. Good Intention? 

Lets not forget the South...     

Lanes on most of California are all but gone.  Unfortunately John G did not ask the good Alderman what he's actually done for bicycling in today's Grid.

The lane on Western between 29th and 33rd is all but worn away, and unfortunately will not be replaced due to possible Bus Rapid Transit on Western or Ashland.  Ashland is de-prioritized for the same reason. All the North-South corridor resources are going into Damen.

Please please please please (please) let Ashland "win" the BRT. And soon.

Thank you for this, Tony.

Tony Adams said:

Kathy plates getting installed on the westbound side of the 18th St Bridge this morning!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service