The Chainlink

New Pedestrian Bump on Dearborn between Kinzie and the river

How do you folks like the new pedestrian bump on Dearborn between Kinzie and the river? I think it's kind of cool. It definitely will help pedestrians feel comfortable with the idea that they are allowed to cross the road there.

Of course, the "bump" covers only the part of the road where the non life-threatening machines are passing, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Views: 386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd prefer crossing gates along Dearborn to drive home the fact that people shouldn't be jumping out against the lights.

I like it so far. I like the fact that they are decreasing the seeming distance for pedestrians to cross the street. I'm interested to see how they finish the other side of the street front (east side) by the House of Blues. If they neck out the sidewalk there too, it will be a complimentary improvement for peds.

I agree. I hope that they take it across the whole width of the street.

I noticed this morning the work on the east side of Dearborn. It looks like they are leaving only two lanes for car traffic, which is great. I think that will make a significant impact in helping pedestrians feel comfortable crossing.

I saw that too. I'm looking forward to see how well this works. All for experimentation with different traffic calming measures. 

This is good for peds, and would be even better if the bump ran all the way across the street. 

Let's just hope this design doesn't spread to the Loop PBLs. The elevated portion across the PBL invites pedestrians to queue on it when it's crowded.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service