The Chainlink

The new Apple store at North/Clybourn in Lincoln Park does not have bike racks.  Indeed, the picture of the store on the Apple website ironically shows a biker, who may have been searching for a bike rack at the time.
Biker wonders why beautiful computers but no bike racks (Photo from Apple website)

Chicago Blogger Steven Vance noted that bike accommodations were removed as part of the construction of the store and the associated renovation of the nearby Red Line station.  Apple funded those renovations in partnership with the CTA.

I talked to an Apple employee when I visited the store.  She was unaware of any plans to add bike racks, but said that such were a "possibility."

As a loyal Mac user I'm POed at Apple's lack of accommodation for customers who arrive at the store on bike, especially since it appears that Apple may have struck a deal for auto parking at a nearby garage.

Suggest bikers make their views known to store employees when they shop at the store or by phone:  (312) 777-4200.   As this is a prominent new retail outpost by a company that prides itself on good design and that demonstrated a commitment to public transit by investing in a renovation of the nearby CTA station it is worth squawking.

Views: 1057

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

do you think yur jumping the gun?

apple store just opened last weekend. they did remodel the red line and create a really nice public plaza (with free wifi)

I would give it a little before there are protests, but thats just me.
+1

adam Hirsch said:

apple store just opened last weekend. they did remodel the red line and create a really nice public plaza (with free wifi)

Absolutely not jumping the gun.

First of all, the CTA puts up signs saying, "only lock to bike racks," doesn't provide bike racks, and this situation remains for a week.

Second, $3.9 million buys a lot of nice renovations. You know what $1,200 buys? 4 u-racks. That's more capacity than what was there before (by 2 spaces), but the station, the store, and the plaza can support more and the demand will be there. You know what $2,400 buys? 8 u-racks.
Apple Tree

Apple Trees are not acceptable places to lock bicycles. A bike rack should have been available from day one. Do you disagree?

Third, the station remained opened throughout construction but bike racks were missing for X weeks - I don't know how many weeks because I don't live around here to take notice, but at least 1 week. The CTA was not serving its customers appropriately during this time.

Fourth, while the Apple Store may have just opened last weekend, and the train station just "reopened," both Apple and CTA had 18 months to consider a construction schedule for bicycle parking facility that would be convenient for their customers who arrive to the store and station by bicycle.

Fifth, too much lip service about bicycles is given in this town and we need to stand up for quality infrastructure. Did you hear about CDOT getting $3.2 million to build a cycle track (separated bikeway) on Stony Island? Already there's talk of people at CDOT who're against a facility that would make bicycling there safer and probably attract new people to ride bikes.

Like I said in an earlier post in this topic, we have too many professionals in Chicago who would have done this differently but instead it seems amateurs got to decide what to give Chicagoans who ride their bicycles.

Read more about what I think of this situation.

adam Hirsch said:

You realize that from the point of view of someone managing an extremely expensive anchor project on a major retail corridor that was built without adding any car parking and while spending a great deal of money on a mass transit project, someone acting as if great injustice has been done because they don't like the shape of the bike racks on the site is going to come off like an absolute wingnut, right?
I just choose to pick my battles a bit more selectively. there absolutely should be bicycle racks at the new apple store. bike racks should have never been removed.

I have many complaints about the CTA, so a sign that states "only lock to racks" when there are no racks, does not upset me, in the grand scheme of things. is it ridiculous to have that sign up and no bike racks? you bet it is. could the cta serve its customers better if it provided more racks, for sure!

i would choose to complain about 100's of other items that irks me about the CTA before I got to bike racks though, thats just me.

I think there are huge issues cyclists face, and I personally would rather focus on what I perceive as the biggest issues. The apparent lack of bike racks, or bike racks that aren't, right or good enough is low on my personal list.

I for one think its pretty cool that apple renovated the redline stop, created a nice public plaza with wifi and a fountain and really reinvigorated a area. plus, you can bring you bike right into the store (also, you can bring your dog!) they also did not build any parking, which is pretty awesome.
so if i am going to the apple store, i am brining my bike in and my dog, and if I am using that redline stop Ill find a rack to use nearby if there is none to use on sight.
You can complain what you want to complain about and I will report on and support the issues that I know and care about. Please refrain from criticizing others who stand up for what they feel is right.

Educate me about an issue that you care about, convince me that it's worth fighting for or supporting, and I will gladly dedicate a substantial part of my energy to that cause.

adam Hirsch said:
I just choose to pick my battles a bit more selectively. there absolutely should be bicycle racks at the new apple store. bike racks should have never been removed.

I have many complaints about the CTA, so a sign that states "only lock to racks" when there are no racks, does not upset me, in the grand scheme of things. is it ridiculous to have that sign up and no bike racks? you bet it is. could the cta serve its customers better if it provided more racks, for sure!

i would choose to complain about 100's of other items that irks me about the CTA before I got to bike racks though, thats just me.

I think there are huge issues cyclists face, and I personally would rather focus on what I perceive as the biggest issues. The apparent lack of bike racks, or bike racks that aren't, right or good enough is low on my personal list.
I will also post messages at the bottom of my post to promote my blog.
I guess I don't really see what the fuss is. I just came from that store and that station and there are U racks between the station and the Apple store. They were all in use and the incredibly smart bikers locked parallel rather than perpendicular so they halved the capacity but the racks are there. Perhaps I'm missing something as they looked like they've been there for a while as well, the cement had not just been poured in the 14 hours since your wrote this. But then again perhaps it was as I avoid the Red Line and the North Ave Station as much as possible.

FWIW, I can usually find something to lock my bikes too without too much trouble.

Cocktails ahoy!

Steven Vance said:
Absolutely not jumping the gun.

First of all, the CTA puts up signs saying, "only lock to bike racks," doesn't provide bike racks, and this situation remains for a week.

Second, $3.9 million buys a lot of nice renovations. You know what $1,200 buys? 4 u-racks. That's more capacity than what was there before (by 2 spaces), but the station, the store, and the plaza can support more and the demand will be there. You know what $2,400 buys? 8 u-racks.
Apple Tree

Apple Trees are not acceptable places to lock bicycles. A bike rack should have been available from day one. Do you disagree?

Third, the station remained opened throughout construction but bike racks were missing for X weeks - I don't know how many weeks because I don't live around here to take notice, but at least 1 week. The CTA was not serving its customers appropriately during this time.

Fourth, while the Apple Store may have just opened last weekend, and the train station just "reopened," both Apple and CTA had 18 months to consider a construction schedule for bicycle parking facility that would be convenient for their customers who arrive to the store and station by bicycle.

Fifth, too much lip service about bicycles is given in this town and we need to stand up for quality infrastructure. Did you hear about CDOT getting $3.2 million to build a cycle track (separated bikeway) on Stony Island? Already there's talk of people at CDOT who're against a facility that would make bicycling there safer and probably attract new people to ride bikes.

Like I said in an earlier post in this topic, we have too many professionals in Chicago who would have done this differently but instead it seems amateurs got to decide what to give Chicagoans who ride their bicycles.

Read more about what I think of this situation.

adam Hirsch said:

I am sorry, I did not mean to criticize you personally. Of course we can all complain about whatever we like. and I would never criticize someone for standing up for what they believe in, if my post came off as a criticism of people standing up for what they believe in, my bad.

In my opinion, it seemed like there was rush to protest a store that has done some pretty positive things in the neighborhood. I just questioned if that was hasty. some seem to agree some dont.

no big deal!
Why should anyone refrain from criticizing anyone else just because they feel they're right? Obviously you feel you're right. I feel that you're wrong, and that making a big to-do over slightly suboptimal bike rack shapes here is a bit ridiculous and makes cycling advocates look silly. You're of course free to feel that I'm wrong and claim that Apple has gravely insulted the cause of sensible urban design, but how convinced you are of your own rightness is irrelevant.
wait...so we can or cannot criticize a critic?
Dr. Doom,
You weaken your case and risk vilifying your opposition with extreme hyperbole clearly intended to ridicule . . . but since I'm feeling charitable, I'll toss you a bone.

EVERYONE:
THE PROTEST IS POSTPONED, STAY TUNED FOR FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS.

Dr. Doom said:
Why should anyone refrain from criticizing anyone else just because they feel they're right? Obviously you feel you're right. I feel that you're wrong, and that making a big to-do over slightly suboptimal bike rack shapes here is a bit ridiculous and makes cycling advocates look silly. You're of course free to feel that I'm wrong and claim that Apple has gravely insulted the cause of sensible urban design, but how convinced you are of your own rightness is irrelevant.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service