The Chainlink

Need New Commuting Tires....Schwalbe Marathon Plus vs. Supreme?

I was just wondering if I can get some feedback from shop folk or owners regarding the Schwalbe Marathon Plus and Supreme.  I want to get some new commuter tires for year round use and as far as I have read, these are nearly overkill.  Can anyone tell me the difference between the two.  

It appears from the Schwalbe website that the plus has great puncture resistance while the supreme has lower rolling resistance, traction, and cornering abilities.  If anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to chime in.

Views: 10293

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would go with the Plus for the superior puncture protection on a commuter.  I have them on several bikes in several widths and find them all to be just fine handling wise for average riding.

Thanks.  Are the handling abilities far superior on the Supreme?

I have only ridden them on a recumbent and then not much so I really don't have much input on them.

The major complaint on the Plus is that it can feel a little 'squishy' due to the huge insert in the tire for puncture resistance.  I find that if I keep them inflated the feeling is less but they do feel a little more 'wiggly' compared to other tires but, in my opinion, no less sure footed.  I think that it is more noticeable in skinnier tires.

I (non-shop-owner-staff) use the Plus with a strip between the tire and tube 52 weeks per year. I would choose puncture over rolling anytime for commuting. Would you be okay with changing a flat at 18 degrees and a 25 mile per hour wind, knowing that you have lower rolling resistance? How much time would you save each year fixing flats vs. lower rolling resistance?

You can also check out panaracer pasela w/ tour guard tires. They seem to be a good balance as far as I can tell after about 1000 miles. They were fine in snow/ice, they are faster than continental contacts, and no flats so far but my commute is mostly on the lake front. I have no experience w/ Schwalbes.

You are comparing apples and oranges here.

The Plus at $48 MSRP (Mrs. Duppie has a pair one one of her bikes)  has been the standard flat resistant for well over a decade. I will defer to other posters on the advantages of the Plus.

The Supreme at $73 MSRP is an entirely different tire. It is a (lot) lower weight, rolls very smooth and corners well, when compared to Vittoria Randonneurs and Nimbus Armadillos. I have 3 bikes with Supreme tires: My summer commuter (700c), my winter commuter (26") and our high-end touring tandem (700c). I love them a lot. I get maybe one flat a year on them on 4K miles or so. When that happens I throw my bike on the bus, so it is not a big deal. I also ride it all winter long on Chicago streets, except for when there is a lot of fresh snow on the ground. I never feel insecure when riding them on slushy streets.

According to Schwalbe you should expect to get more miles out of a Plus, but even the tires that I have been riding for a numerous winters now still appear to be in good shape and I expect to ride them a few more winters.

It comes down to what is important to you. Cost or durability? Then you may want to stick with the Plus. A faster tire that corners well? You may want to go with the Supreme.

The Plus is readily available at better bike shops in Chicago; the Supreme almost always needs to be special ordered. (I have always ordered them directly from Schwalbe)

Also, Schwalbe is a great company to deal with. I had one sidewall failure on the Supreme. The sidewall tore apart after only a few thousand miles. I filled out an online warranty form and had a new tire at my frontstep within a week. No questions asked.

Thanks Duppie for the in depth feedback.  I do not have access to a bus or other transport on my commute and as Gene said, I do not want to be stuck in 18 degree weather changing a flat.  Given the fact that the Supreme doesn't quite offer the extra flat protection I believe I have found my answer.  My commuter has an IGH and a Gates belt and roadside flat changes aren't exactly easy.  

Plus 1, Schwalbe Marathon Plus.  Thou they were a BEAR to mount the first time.  Once mounted they stretched and remounted up easily afterwards.  (Two weird flats in 18 months.)

I'm a wingnut when it comes to tire pressure and top'em off every 2ng to 3rd day.  

Gerry, at what pressure do you keep your tires? I read somewhere that lower pressure may help avoid punctures by sharp objects, as the tire can more easily deform and roll over the object, whereas high pressure tire does not give in and object is pushed into the tire, penetrating & causing a flat. Perhaps that may explain your weird flats. Of course I am not suggesting pressures so low that you will get pinch flats.

Recommended is 80 PSI?  I bounce along just above that, 85 front, 90 back.

I've used Marathon or Marathon Plus tires on all my bikes for years.  Running at 80-85 psi most of the time, I've had 2 flats in the last 5 years, when the tires were getting old and already had many small nicks.  I ride across railroad crossings all the time.  I also have to ride often in areas with broken glass.  And I'll second Gerry's comment about these tires being tough to mount on the rims when new.

I have not ridden the Supreme for comparison, but I've been quite pleased with the durability and puncture resistance of both Marathon and Marathon Plus, as well as good handling.  Most of my riding is for transportation, shopping, etc.

Gerry G said:

Recommended is 80 PSI?  I bounce along just above that, 85 front, 90 back.

I like the Panaracer RiBMo (Ride Bicycle More) aramid bead folding tire with P...

My road bike has been wearing a pair of these all this year and they are not showing any noticable wear after a couple thousand miles of sometimes torturous gravel paths and nasty areas like along RR tracks and such.  I run them at 80psi and they handle very well in the wet or dry.  No flats.  None so far at least.  I've run through a few patches of glass that got pointed out to me way too late in a group and maybe my reaction times were a bit...inhibited...but not only did I not get a flat I have NEVER even found a shard of glass or other debris embedded in these tires and I tend to check often as I'm a bit paranoid about this.  I've caught this in time before with other tires but never these.  Maybe I've just been lucky or these tires just are not the type to pick up and hold debris like that.   A quick tire check at a rest stop is worth it if you find something working its way through the puncture-resistant tire carcass.   It's a good habit to get into in any case.

At $30/each the RiBMos  are a pretty good bargain for a more puncture-resistant tire.  They aren't Schwalbes but I'm cheap with my money.  I don't mind the silly name. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service