The Chainlink

i've got a mid 80's trek road bike, and i want to install some new drops and a new stem. however, i currently have a one-piece "quill" stem on my bike. I have located some quill adapters online...anyway, can anyone tell me the best way to establish the proper size adapter that i will need to fit my bike's steerer tube/fork? i know i need to get the proper diameter to fit, but i am also unsure of the best length. any other pertinent data that i amoverlooking would be greatly appreciated!

for what it's worth, the bike is a fully stock 1986 trek 310 elance. the pictures attached are of the current stock setup.

Thanks a lot
G

Views: 334

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I posted some pics for this in another thread, but not sure how to link to it so it is below.

I did this on my Trek 400, there is only one basic adaptor - from 1 inch to 1 1/8 inch. Your quill is 1 inch.
You can get black or silver, here is a cheep one I have

http://www.ebikestop.com/dmn_steerer_adaptor_1quot_quill_to_1_18quo...

Or you can get a spiffier one at velo orange, but the site is not working. As for the length, they are adjustable, just the same as a quill stem.

on2wheels said:
Mine is a late 80s Trek 400, originally a mishmash of parts, got the opportunity to upgrade to brand new stuff and took it.
Before

After

thanks a ton! that info is very helpful, exactly what i was looking for. i am going ot snag up the part soon and get the my new ergo drops on there, essentially the same as you have. the stock drops are just too narrow for me...maybe you had the same issue?

also, i like the brake lever/shifters you have on there. i hope to do the same thing to my trek when i get the money. the downtube shifters are nostalgic, but i think they're going to wear on me soon....

on2wheels said:
I posted some pics for this in another thread, but not sure how to link to it so it is below.

I did this on my Trek 400, there is only one basic adaptor - from 1 inch to 1 1/8 inch. Your quill is 1 inch.
You can get black or silver, here is a cheep one I have

http://www.ebikestop.com/dmn_steerer_adaptor_1quot_quill_to_1_18quo...

Or you can get a spiffier one at velo orange, but the site is not working. As for the length, they are adjustable, just the same as a quill stem.

on2wheels said:
Mine is a late 80s Trek 400, originally a mishmash of parts, got the opportunity to upgrade to brand new stuff and took it.
Before

After

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service