The Chainlink

I'm shaken and shocked from a conversation with my landlord intercepting me on the dozenth time he's seen me come and go with bike from apartment. This peculiar conversation started innocently but soon he casually informed me that bikes aren't allowed in the building. Calmly offered compromise suggestions such as improving storage security or making an exception only escalated his anger. Within a minute seemingly seething with restrained rage he snarled "You are in violation of building rules, no bikes in apartments, and this is your verbal warning. Bring it in again and I'll give you a ten day notice."

Never mind that he knows I'm a known local cycling activist and extremely reliable tenant, that the outside bike storage area is insecure and full, that I always used the back steps and my bike is light, that the rule is out of sync with an increasingly carless renters market, nor that I am likely not the only one doing so in the building.
In my book he's drawn first blood. This building has declared its incompatibility with modern times, and me.
On fine reading, some lease rules addendum clauses do apply, but could be disputed.

For now I may capitulate. But thinking ahead, any known bike friendly northside/andersonville/uptown/lakefront apartments? I'd rather not roommate. Any recommended resources for bike friendly apartments search?

Views: 3717

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Andrew, there are LOTS of For Rent signs in the quadrant between Devon and Granville, Broadway west to Glenwood. Some are studios which are probably in your range. Also find signs between Granville and Hollywood.

It's understandable that he doesn't want his walls scuffed up, but quite another control-freakish thing when he won't give you the trust to carry a microwave, or when he talks to you with hostility. Dog forbid you did scuff a wall, he could still be nice and say, Andrew, would you mind watching out for these scuffs? Here's paint, would you mind touching it up? You probably would have wanted to help with any problem he might have brought to your attention nicely.

By the way, a good friend is trying to sell her Pullman historic cottage, asking 130G. It's the size of an apartment and has a little backyard...
New twist found taped to my bike locked briefly inside fence (as I've been doing for short periods for years blocking nothing).

"NOTICE FROM THE MANAGEMENT OF 5433 NORTH KENMORE AVE.
PLEASE DO NOT LOCK YOUR BIKE TO THE FENCE OR ANY OTHER LOCATION ON THIS PROPERTY.
IF YOUR BIKE IS NOT REMOVED IMMEDIATELY IT WILL BE RELOCATEDED AT YOUR EXPENSE.
IF YOU ARE A RESIDENT IN THE BUILDING -ASK THE MANAGER FOR A KEY TO THE BIKE ROOM.
IF YOU ARE VISITING YOU MUST FIND ANOTHER PLACE TO LOCK UP YOUR BIKE OFF PROPERTY.
THIS WILL BE YOUR ONLY NOTICE.
773-769-0217"

The smartass in me must point out: "RELOCATEDED"

At this point, I halfway pity the envious creepy asshole landlord. He can't be happy, with such obvious raging neurosis, and penchant for control and confrontation (always wears fake cop clothes).

Lots of available rentals now. I say let your landlord enjoy himself with an empty apt. Sounds like a not very nice person to me.
What are 'fake cop clothes'? Are you talking about those shirts that say stuff like SECURITY on a back?

Andrew Bedno said:
New twist found taped to my bike locked briefly inside fence (as I've been doing for short periods for years blocking nothing).

"NOTICE FROM THE MANAGEMENT OF 5433 NORTH KENMORE AVE.
PLEASE DO NOT LOCK YOUR BIKE TO THE FENCE OR ANY OTHER LOCATION ON THIS PROPERTY.
IF YOUR BIKE IS NOT REMOVED IMMEDIATELY IT WILL BE RELOCATEDED AT YOUR EXPENSE.
IF YOU ARE A RESIDENT IN THE BUILDING -ASK THE MANAGER FOR A KEY TO THE BIKE ROOM.
IF YOU ARE VISITING YOU MUST FIND ANOTHER PLACE TO LOCK UP YOUR BIKE OFF PROPERTY.
THIS WILL BE YOUR ONLY NOTICE.
773-769-0217"

The smartass in me must point out: "RELOCATEDED"

At this point, I halfway pity the envious creepy asshole landlord. He can't be happy, with such obvious raging neurosis, and penchant for control and confrontation (always wears fake cop clothes).

Does the landlord live in the building?
I think he's just having a little attack of low blood sugar.
A pizza or 10 will fix him right up :-)
Paint it all different colors and call it a work of art, then ask your landlord where it says you cannot have art in your unit

H3N3 said:
Does the landlord live in the building?
I think he's just having a little attack of low blood sugar.
A pizza or 10 will fix him right up :-)
>>> What are 'fake cop clothes'? Are you talking about those shirts that say stuff like SECURITY on a back?

Yeah, or some says "sheriff", almost always a seeming law enforcement hat, I'm not really clear on why and have asked, vaguely remember he implied he was formerly law enforcement and deflected...

I should mention, since this thread now publishes identifiable building and contact information, that other than this one niche subject, by *CHICAGO* standards he adequately runs an adequately maintained building; again, by CHICAGO standards. Its not hard at all to do better, but I've seen a lot worse. So not saying its a slum, just a peculiar experience for this, or any, cyclist.

PS H, love you WPCM writings lately, and right on about blood sugar, or who knows. He's "hating it forward" I joked.
Andrew, if you haven't moved out by April, it sounds like you should host the WNBR at your apartment.
Or the destination for the next CCM.

Todd Allen said:
Andrew, if you haven't moved out by April, it sounds like you should host the WNBR at your apartment.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service