The Chainlink

Somehow I ended up riding 75 miles yesterday -- a new personal best.  I think I could have kept going, but it was dark and I was out of snacks.  I'm now convinced I can pull off a century, especially if it were organized so I'm not carrying locks, food, tools around like normal.  As a frame of reference, I thought I was going to die after a 20 mile ride this Spring.  

How far have others pushed themselves?  

Views: 229

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Way to go Michael - though I still can't believe you just started hitting centuries last year! My best is 115 last summer, but that was three rides (40, 40, 35) over the course of a lonely Saturday.. these were my pre-chainlink days.

Michael A said:
I did my first century last yr ( the evanston/ccc pampered century ) almost a year to the day. The longest I had ridden was 35 miles, and did not even have 100 miles in for the season. I had also not ridden a bike for more then 10 miles in over 20 yrs. In the last year I have over 7000 miles in, including at least 10 organized centuries and 2-3 x that is just long rides..... If a 45 yr old 245 lb man can do it, almost anyone can. The longest I can remember was a 160 mile day. My group did a 200 miler but I was racing that day.
I did a ride from Chicago to Milwaukee over two days after riding around a little the first and getting a little lost on the way I think my longest ride was 55 miles then another 45 day two. I definitely want to try a century. Anyone now where I can start train or wanna ride with me?
A new personal best a 94 mile ride in under 5 hours, and then the perimeter ride so the total was 190 or so. A very fast century followed by the a very slow century....
And you lived to talk about it! Congrats!!!!

Michael A said:
A new personal best a 94 mile ride in under 5 hours, and then the perimeter ride so the total was 190 or so. A very fast century followed by the a very slow century....
I biked 107 during the perimeter ride on Saturday...living 11 miles from the starting point helped to push it over 100. It was surprisingly easy, my knees and muscles felt great afterwards, but I had sore wrists at the end of the ride. Not sure how to prevent that.

Before that, I biked 97 on the second day of a bike trip to Madison back in April, which really was the only long ride that got painful so far - it was freezing, I had a pannier bag, I'd already done 80 the day before, and most of the ride was on uneven gravel paths that slowed us down while being really hard on wrists and knees. (Not that it wasn't still one of the best things I've ever done).
A few years ago I did a 70+ mile ride from Harvey, IL to the Rogers Park and back (on a mountain bike).
The perimeter ride this year was by far the longest time I've spent in the saddle not to mention the longest I've worn my cycling shoes. Considering how great I felt afterward (except my toes are still a little numb) I have a pretty good feeling that I'll be able to finish the North Shore century in a modest time. I'll see you there Marion, right?
Yea I think I'm hooked and going. I'm not super fast but I think it'll be so much fun!

Ruben Dario said:
The perimeter ride this year was by far the longest time I've spent in the saddle not to mention the longest I've worn my cycling shoes. Considering how great I felt afterward (except my toes are still a little numb) I have a pretty good feeling that I'll be able to finish the North Shore century in a modest time. I'll see you there Marion, right?
What was the route for the Perimeter Ride?
one time, back like 8 years ago, i rode from my house in hammond, IN to portage, indiana for dui court and then turned around and rode back only to stop for refreshments and cooler attachment at the house and headed up to daley plaza for critical mass, think it ended pretty far north that night, like lincoln square or a bit north of there, then i bombed back south to hammond.. the total was like 130 mostly buzzed miles..

good old days,,
A bit over 100 miles for me at the frozen snot century back in 2005. It was the Frozen Snot Century to Milwaukee. Did it on a mountain bike with fat tires. I switched to using slicks after that.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service