The Chainlink

This may have already been discussed but nothing came up in my search anyway:

I typically take Elston on my commute from Skokie to the Medical District but decided to try Milwaukee Ave. this morning since so many bikers use it. I really don't get it, because to me Elston seems much wider, there is a dedicated bike lane (for whatever that's worth at times) not a sharrowed lane which Milwaukee seems to primarily be, the road surface on Elston is much better, no bus traffic, there is no construction now (several spots on Milwaukee), Elston doesn't have to deal with people getting to the CTA train stations or onto the highway (almost right hooked there this morning), less traffic early in the morning and fewer stop lights/sings to deal with.

Please enlighten me as to why everyone prefers Milwaukee. I usually don't see other bike commuters on Elston in the morning (granted I'm riding between 5 and 6 am) whereas I saw at least 6 headed toward downtown this morning.

Views: 664

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why Milwaukee?  Because it's where all the cool kids ride. 

I see a pattern here.  

Elston is a way to get between downtown and points further North for commuters.  Many of the riders seen on it are on the long-haul.  It is a thoroughfare cutting across barren country.

Milwaukee is a destination in itself.  Many riders live on or near it and are making multiple short trips on it every day.  It's the main drag for hipster city.  Most aren't venturing far from home.  I bet the average trip on two wheels on Milwaukee is 1 or 2 miles -maybe less. 

By George, I think you've got it!

I think you figured out a bit of a pattern

... and the street decisions are based on where one wants to end up.

I ride mainly as a commuter. 

I'm aimin' for Damen because my target is Ashland/ Foster, so

Elston is the "best 'un"

but from downtown for me its VanBuren west> Halsted> Milwaukee> Elston> Damen

if I need to get further west without going more north I stick to Milwaukee

I just like the term, "sharrowed".

It's an actual term -even wikipedia says so...

Rhea Butcher said:

I just like the term, "sharrowed".

I live equidistant from both of them. Google actually says taking Elston is slightly shorter. Over the last three years of commuting, I've found Elston to have a worse road surface and much much more glass than Milwaukee. If I have some tough tires I'll take Elston on occasion.

Milwaukee is just a more interesting ride. There is much more eye candy on the route.

Headed north from Logan Square, either one will deliver me to the NBT, Amitabul, or Superdawg. But Elston is more pleasant. Going through big-box land isn't the greatest, but otherwise Elston is my preferred route, definitely on the weekend mornings. Total ghost town, and you can get to the NBT on a good day without having to stop at all.

As far as Milwaukee having more stuff on it - my position is that Stanley's + The Hideout trumps basically all of Milwaukee Avenue through Wicker Park. I also like riding by Morton Salt, while singing Jawbreaker songs out loud. Though Irazu and the Beachwood Inn are two very good arguments for Milwaukee, also good reasons to carry cash with you at all times.

On my commute from Logan Square to either the Loop or West Loop, I actually prefer to head straight south then cut west on Washington or Jackson. Though when I'm running late (which is the theme of 2011), Milwaukee is my route of choice. 

This gave me a nice chuckle.  Superdawg and Amidbul in the same sentence makes for a bit of a non sequitur.

Alex said:

Headed north from Logan Square, either one will deliver me to the NBT, Amitabul, or Superdawg.

Aside from being diagonals, I see them as apples and oranges. In the street world that is. :)

Milwaukee/Elston

Apples/Oranges

Amitibul/Superdawg

Chef Dave vegan delight/Murder meat delish dog!

;)

I decided to tell you what I dislike about Elston in a photo essay, but first let me describe my "typical commute."

I moved to Avondale, near Belmont/Elston/California. Elston is about 500 feet from my house. Milwaukee is a little less than 1 mile away. I much prefer riding down California to hop on Milwaukee towards downtown, UIC, and Pilsen (my most frequent haunts). 

Each photo describes one reason why I dislike Elston and what you're seeing in the photo. 

Start the photo essay

Super wide intersection

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service