The Chainlink

Alright folks, here it is

Alright, the long-awaited Chicago-Milwaukee ride that all the kids are abuzz about is here. Milwaukee 1.0 back in April was a smashing success this will likely be the last Milwaukee ride I host before I move back out to Boston so let's make it snappy, eh?

There will be two categories:

racers and rollers (everyone else.)

First, the rollers. this is a social and fun ride so no one should be daunted by the 80 mile distance. If you can ride 25 continuous miles, you can definitely ride up to Milwaukee with us. The route largely follows amtrak/ metra routes so if you get ill or something there's plenty of bail points, which we will map out for you. Basically, if you're a first time to milwaukee (or first time distance rider) all you have to do is show up at the start with a functioning bike and we'll do the rest, I'll post route maps, bail points and suggested rest stops in this link. Invite your friends, the more the merrier!

We will leave Chicago at 7 AM. That means we will meet at our mass start (the starbucks at 5300 n clark) at 630. We will end the ride at Palomino's pub in Milwaukee for beers and fried pickles/lunch (veggie-friendly) Also, I will call ahead and reserve us some spots at the sprecher brewery tour for those who are interested. Hopefully, some of our milwaukee brothers and sisters will amtrak down from milwaukee friday night, crash in chicago and ride up with us saturday. Also, hopefully others will meet up with us IN milwaukee for bike-related hijinx.

RETURN TRIP: If you're really intrepid bike back. failing that amtrak service to chicago is like 20 bucks (plus a fee for a bike box, which they provide)

racers: New for milwaukee 2.0 is the racer category. If you like to roll light and fast let's have a friendly competition. Everyone who wants to race will chip in a predetermined amount into a pot, pot is won by first person to palominos (I think we should all follow the same route to keep things sporting but would be amenable to a "whoever gets there first by whatever route they want" style as well.

My summer is almost totally booked up, so I propose July 18th.

Views: 323

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have fun everyone. I'll be on my way to Iowa on the 18th.

Milwaukee 1.0 was a blast. I highly recommend going if you like going out for 25-35 mile rides.(The route can always be divided into legs of your choosing with rests in between.) Or, go if you just want to give yourself a challenge with awesome fried pickles, beer, good food and good company as a reward.

Oh, and bring sunscreen. :)
This sounds great. How is the route for fixed gear/single speed bikes? I'm guessing it's fine as long as you're not running some absurd gear ratio, but still curious.
On 1.0, both Chris and Juan were on single speeds.

Chris, what is the gear ratio on the bike you were riding?

Dr. Doom said:
This sounds great. How is the route for fixed gear/single speed bikes? I'm guessing it's fine as long as you're not running some absurd gear ratio, but still curious.
Chris, I'm very interested in taking the Amtrak down on Friday night to ride up with y'all on Saturday. Probably not racing though, I will be using this as an opportunity to break in my new (to me) '83 Trek 520.
Nice dude !

you're welcome to crash with me--I've got a guest bedroom!

Smash said:
Chris, I'm very interested in taking the Amtrak down on Friday night to ride up with y'all on Saturday. Probably not racing though, I will be using this as an opportunity to break in my new (to me) '83 Trek 520.
I requested off work after seeing this post- we'll see. It'll be me plus one in the roller group. Where you at dominguez? Lindsay?

Chris said:
Nice dude ! you're welcome to crash with me--I've got a guest bedroom!

Smash said:
This sounds awesome, I would love to do the ride.

Any chance you'd push it back a week? The 18th is during the Pitchfork festival and I really can't miss that.

If not, I'll catch the ride next time. Thanks!
YO-- JULY 18TH IT IS.

I know it competes with pitchfork and we will therefore be missing some otherwise rad folks, but them's the breaks.

As for fixed gears I rode this on my fixed gear earlier this year and all was swell! I ended up doing 116 that day fixed, no problems at all. Please note, I would suggest common sense. If this will be the longest ride you have ever attempted, maybe try borrowing a geared bike. You don't necessarily want it to be your first ever long ride AND on a fixed gear. One variable at a time (disclosure: most people are crybabies. centuries are totally doable on fixed gears with no big deal. Use your own common sense. You know your own riding styles and comfort levels better than I do.)
I'm in for this! Do you have a map of the ride?
While being on the bike for 9 hours is super impressive and hardcore in its own right, what's your average capable speed? (in other words your onbike speed during a commute in downtown chicago might be 10 mph, but what about when you have wide open roads? I am assuming you're on a road bike with "drop" handlebars?)

Keep in mind there will be no traffic almost the whole way. I feel like a good average speed for moderately fit cyclists on road bikes not including stops is 15-16 mph. the trip should take 6-8 hours.

730 PM is last train outta milwaukee, but I am not comfortable starting the ride any earlier than 7 am (first, let's be honest for most folks that drink even 7 am is a stretch, and second, in my experience even if we tell people 630 7 is when most show up)

Brian Kennedy said:
Okay, so I have downtown Milwaukee pegged at 86 miles from the start point. At my typical rolling speed (I always estimate 6 min/mile on my commute but our route may be less congested), I calculate it will take me 8h 36m to reach Milwaukee with no stops. So, with stops, that puts me in Milwaukee between 4pm and 5pm. I see the last couple of Hiawatha runs on the 18th are at 5:45pm & 7:35pm. Are we all pretty much looking at catching the 7:35pm train do you think? I want to use my Amtrak Rewards, so I have to book ahead of time. Pain in the butt, but it will be free so what the heck. How do all of my assumptions sound?
Not to be Lord of the Obvious, but for anyone who hasn't taken a ride this long, riding 80 miles will make you understand why racer guys wear the superhero outfits. Target has Underarmor knockoff shirts for $15 or so that work really well and will keep you dry and comfortable, and if you're feeling a bit spendier there's a really good sale on here where you can get a wool jersey that's nice enough to actually wear off the bike for $40, down from $105.
...and I might as well add my famous "chamois cream" speech.

1. WEAR BIKE SHORTS WITH THE PADDING IN THEM

2. USE A TON A TON A TON OF CHAMOIS CREAM. Mix 1 tub vaseline, 1 tube neosporin and 1 tube anti boil cream. and slather about three to four fingers worth on the inside of your bike short padding (called a chamois pad) before you slip em on for the ride.

while you uncomfortably waddle around your apartment making an "eww" face, take pride in knowing you are now a hardcore cyclist.

(oh and youll be comfortable in the saddle and prevent yourself from getting saddle sores too)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service