The Chainlink

It is time this Saturday for the Midnight Marauders 4th annual Subterranean Ride. This has been the most popular ride we have put on since its inception. Basically it is a tour of the underground, and sub street level roads, oddities, attractions, and distractions in the down town area. For first timers, it will be a chance to see places that you probably never would, and for veterans, yet another chance to figure out “Where the hell did we go?” There will be some exciting new twists this year if we can pull them off, so even veterans will experience some new things.

For those unaware, there is a labyrinth of streets, tunnels and service roads under the city that only people that work there normally see, but this month Marauders get too as well.

We will meet at the traditional location, the Billy Goat Tavern, 430 N. Michigan Av(lowerlevel), at 11pm, August the 21st. It is located at the intersection of Hubbard, and Lower Michigan Av., if you cant find it go downstairs. There will be a couple rougher sections on the ride, but any serviceable bike should work.

This is not a trailer friendly ride, unless it is a single wheel jobbie.

Martin

Views: 577

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you get there early, there is a fantastic dump celebrating its last night in business:

Streeterville's CND Gyros to close after 37 years

Sad news for a longtime Streeterville favorite: CND Gyros will close its doors for good Saturday after 37 years on Grand Avenue.

It was a combination of factors, owner John Xamplas told The Stew: a change in ownership, the property being sold and the lease expiring.

“It’s mixed feelings. I’ve been here most of my life,” Xamplas said. “I’m not calling it quits on my own will. I have a lot of friends in the neighborhood. I wish I could have stayed a couple more years. But now I can retire and play with my four grand kids and spend more time with my family.”

CND Gyros was my first experience at a classic Greek-owned Chicago diner/bar when I was a Tribune intern in 2003. I remembered downing 12 oz. glasses of beers into the early morning, playing poker and eating gyros that left me with the taste of raw onions for weeks. I can taste it to this day.

I asked Xamplas about his secrets of serving a top notch gyro. “Just like any other product, you’ve got to have the right recipe, consistency, served with good service and fair price. And you’ve got to treat the customer right. That’s the formula.”

The next three days will be a celebration of the restaurant, with karaoke, drinks and of course, gyros. Then the locks go on Saturday night around midnight, and CND Gyros will be no more.
This is gonna be one messed up night if last nights pre ride is any indication

This will be my first time. Any tips? Sounds like a blast...just not sure what to expect.
man i really wish I could go. Night/low light photography is hobby of mine and this would provide ample opportunity for a combo of two of my favorite things, well three, i enjoy the drink. Thanks for the map, I might do a tour of my own after work sometime...and definitely see you next year !
Aaron, what the hell are you talking about? Who doesn't like getting chased by streetsweepers?

"Umm....there's a giant city vehicle behind us."

Aaron Bussey said:
This is gonna be one messed up night if last nights pre ride is any indication
Too late for me, but I ravel the underground from time to time. stumbled on it from the riverfront walk.
Now don't go trying to ride on Lower Wacker!
I'm really new to biking after 20 years hiatus. Is this a really rough, fast ride?
Not at all Lee. It's a social ride at a social pace.

Lee S said:
I'm really new to biking after 20 years hiatus. Is this a really rough, fast ride?
The Vets are not scaring the newbs enough! This ride is HARD! You're gonna cry in your beer! You're gonna shit yourself laughing! You're gonna have your first homosexual experience! Or maybe your first straight experience! Or your first Gang Bang! ;-) You're gonna be the cookie Damnit! ;-)

That's better! ;-)
Cool.... My first homo and hetero experience on a bike while riding subterranean, crying in my beer and I get to be the cookie! Can't wait.

Gabe... will you be my ....uh hum....."first" homo experience? Please? I'll be your cookie.

Gabe said:
The Vets are not scaring the newbs enough! This ride is HARD! You're gonna cry in your beer! You're gonna shit yourself laughing! You're gonna have your first homosexual experience! Or maybe your first straight experience! Or your first Gang Bang! ;-) You're gonna be the cookie Damnit! ;-)

That's better! ;-)
HA! ;-) You can't lie to me sir I've seen your group and your pics! ;-) I paid good money for those!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service