The Chainlink

MDI - Meidai Bicycle Pumps: Do you have one and do you love it?

I've stumbled on a topic which no one has posted and for which there is very little information elsewhere. There is no question people love their Silca, SKS, TopeakPark Tool, Lezyne, or other favorite brand pumps but let's lend a little focus to a defunct brand which sold many bike pumps to American consumers and which have served us well for years and years.  I'm doing some maintenance on mine, such as adjusting, cleaning, and installing replacement parts, so I felt inspired enough to document the process.

MDI sold pumps under the Cyclepro name and that is what I have had since about 1994, and it's otherwise known as the Meidai Top Super.  Please note:  This also applies to MDI manufactured Schwinn and Rampar branded pumps!  The maximum pressure (on the gauge dial) for these pumps is 140 PSI, which is enough for everyone who has "clincher" tires, but I've pumped up tubeless Tufo tires to 180 PSI with it.  It has survived weekly or biweekly sessions of pumping up tires through thousands of miles on my various bikes.  I have never changed the pump washer or tube washer until now.  I haven't needed anything to maintain it, except a little lube, until now.  The cylinder walls are still thick and intact despite all of the fillings and refillings of my tires through the years.  It has put up with neglect in various basements, survived crashing to the floor countless times, and it has put up with my overwhelming zeal for cycling.

Simply stated, my MDI/Meidai Top Super bicycle pump is a rock solid tank which just needs a little TLC to keep going.  Here are the components I'm considering this week to keep my pump in shape for the next 20 years:

I am still hanging on to my old MDI thumb lock air chuck as it still works just fine.  Also, after rebuilding the head with a new valve washer and housing it works like it did when it was new, losing at the most 5 PSI when compared to a hand held gauge.  I've had an original brass SILCA Italian made classic style presta head in my tool box for many years and when attached to the MDI air chuck it works effortlessly.

Bypassing a full overhaul, the easiest thing to do is simply replace the hose and hose barb and to maintain the original internal hose diameter - (as of 8/6/2017 I concede I've found the right tubing on McMaster Carr for $0.60 per foot) 3/16" ID 250 PSI tubing by the foot, 7/16" OD, Thermoid VALUFLEX/GS McMaster SKU 5304K42 with Oetiker hose clamps McMaster SKU 5435K12- makes the Silca 3/16" tube kit with clamps look like a bargain for one pump but expensive for two.  See the link below for the hose barb to make 3/16" hose work on your MDI - the original hose barb just isn't long enough for hose clamps to really keep the hose from falling off the pump. The original MDI hose only worked because a fitting was crimped to the end of the hose by a specially built machine at the factory in Japan.  Since this fitting is brass, be sure to use a little grease on the threads before screwing it into the pump base and be certain to keep the pump away from water or damp areas - if kept wet the brass fitting will seize and rust into the base and you won't be able to get it out or replace it. You may also be able to find this at your local hardware store, Menards, etc. Dynaflo 3/16" Hose x 1/8" Male NPT Brass Hose Barb, for up to 150 PSI applications, Fastenal SKU 69918, UNSPSC 40141734, comes in pack of 5, $3.80 per pack, $9.61 shipping.  Personally I moved to having both 3/16" and 1/4" hose and accessories on hand...but (as of 8/6/2017) I've also employed a method of attaching and detaching these with reliable, relative ease.

MDI was forward thinking enough to allow their customers to easily access the pressure gauge dial face for adjustments.  Two screws are taken out and you are there.  With a small screwdriver (1/8" wide slotted head) and a Post-It note protecting the dial face one can gently pop off the needle and readjust it to zero.  There is no threading or retaining nut keeping the needle on, it's just a very solid friction fit like the minute hand on a clock.  I adjusted mine and it is reading PSI and Bars accurately as compared to my two tire gauges which I recently had calibrated by G.H. Meiser (under their amazing and wonderful lifetime warranty!).

Thankfully Silca has the pump washer and lubricant that appears most appropriate for this maintenance project.  I'm quite certain it will work, but I'll repost when everything is installed.  I could keep going with the original MDI pump washer but I'd rather replace it now before it falls apart.

As I said at the beginning of this article, my caveat about these pumps is of course that the company no longer exists.  However I am bolstered by my research.  G.H. Meiser in Posen, IL said they would take a look at it if I sent it in for service as well, but fortunately this is not necessary.  

Please let me know if you have any information or critique about this project.

Regards,

Matt M

"I'm sure there's a crying need for that."

- Mrs. Hudson, Sherlock, The Empty Hearse, 2014

(P.S. Several Ebay auctions are active for MDI/Meidai pumps. If you would like to investigate further also look for Rampar and Schwinn 1500.)

Please note that  I am not liable or responsible for any repair to any pump you may attempt as a result of the recommendations of this article.  You will be relying on your skills and expertise for your various projects.  Please be safe and take the necessary precautions that all of your pneumatic connections are secure for high pressure applications.

Views: 8533

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I added the Parker Hannifin Stainless steel hose barb to the schedule of parts as an optional item as well as their brass version which is available from MSC Direct.

Sure!  Take this one along on your shopping trip, too....a handy chain to keep your pump accessories attached to your pump..... 6 inches of #2 Yellow Brass 9/64" pull chain or ball chain for lamps, two yellow brass #2 Type 'B' Couplings for creating adjustable loops.  Maintains a loose but firm grip!  I'm holding the pump hose completely vertical with the head pointing towards the floor, by the way.....  I guess if you've got silver accessories you'll be wanting steel chain, though.  Fourteen balls for the loop around the Silca head, 12 balls between the Type 'B' coupling on the Silca.  I didn't pay attention to the particulars on the hose side since that was much easier and I wanted a small amount of slack.

You can get the Blackburn new on Ebay for $30.  If you need a new hose, pump head or pump washer for the Blackburn that's probably doable but I've never looked at one.  The Silca should be a very straightforward repair, though.  MDI pumps had an entire catalog of pumps and replacement parts and it's a shame they're out of business.

Once again, I will say the all metal pump head from Monarch Bicycles is virtually identical to the original MDI....it's still $12.90 and the hose is of a very inferior quality compared to the Continental hose so all you really get is the steel thumb lock pump head. The new lever from Monarch Bicycles has a "BL" encircled by a chainring as the symbol...any insight on this would be appreciated!
Current Ebay Item # 232332745771
Ebay item description: " Bicycle Pump Hose 24" Steel Thumb Lock Schrader Hose NEW! "

New Ebay Item # 382124648049 and now only $7.62 with shipping included.

Home made chuck holder....3/8"-5/8" diameter grip clip mated with a pop rivet to a #2 conduit hanger for 1" conduit.  It's backed with double sided rubberized tape or "servo tape". Almost as nice as other holders and just as effective.

Some assistance from a helpful person at Vogue Fabrics in Evanston resulted in these elastic straps made with two overhand knots.  The straps take up the slack from my extra hose length.

The outside diameter of the tube is 1-1/4" so this stainless steel conduit holder would have been much nicer but maybe not worth spending $4.29 plus shipping.

Velowürks Prime Floor Pump

Looks nice at $130 MSRP!

Jumping into the deep end and looking at pressure gauges for research into better compatibility with tubular tires..... yikes!!!  Tell me what you think!!!!

If I were to swap out to a gauge with a higher pressure display, I might be looking for something like this.... "200 psi 14 bar gauge back mounted 1/8 NPT 1 1/2" "  A replacement Silca gauge is marked in 20 PSI increments and goes up to 210 PSI or 15.0 BAR.  My MDI is numbered in 10 PSI increments to 140 PSI or 10 BAR with a 1 1/2" display.

I'd prefer a gauge from GH Meiser. I really like Winters guages, but Dwyer or Omega would do nicely as well. Other manufacturers are Wika, Pic, PalmerWahl, Accutek, Manotherm and Marsh Bellofram.

Omega possibly has exactly what I want for $25. Model number PGU-15B-200PSI/14BA.

Why do you need to go to 200psi?  I don't think even track bikes run pressures that high.  If you're getting tubular tires, The big advantage is being able to run lower pressures for more comfort without having to worry about pinch flats.  Realistically, on a road bike, you probably don't need to go above 120psi. 

Thanks for responding!  I'm doubting that I'll get around to installing a new gauge, though.  200 PSI is just wiggle room for those occasional oddball projects which I've encountered over the years.  Also it's additional insurance for added durability.  Anyway, I've been posting because someone I know has a couple of very nice Rampar pumps so I've added some info in this discussion about 3/16" hose and fittings in the last 48 hours.  I really added it in case anyone was upset about the 1/16" (1.6mm) difference to 1/4" ID air hose, but I strongly doubt it.

However,  I'm still curious to remove the pressure gauge from the base to see if the gauges above can be adapted to it!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service