The Chainlink

Bedno.com/bike : "Social Cycling System". Mobile tools for bicyclist masses.

Bedno.com/bike facilitates large bicycling events by broadcasting route, map, chatter, weather and more, for smartphones and text messaging.  It also serves personal features such as ride recording, directions and points of interest.

Bedno.com/bike (formerly Chi.Bike and MassUp.us) began years ago (now in its sixth major version) to address shortage of Critical Mass printed maps by making them available online for iPhone and similar users, and as a communications supplement to the World Naked Bike ride. The system provides quick flyer views, turn-by-turn cues, and monitors text chatter broadcasting location en-route.  It also gives weather, archives, etc all optimized from many years experience developing for mobile devices.

Since this thread was started (June 2009) it's now served well in literally hundreds of rides including years of Critical Masses and Chicago Naked Rides. Hope you like it, feedback encouraged.
Bookmark Bedno.com/bike now on your phone.
Sample screenshots below, but best to simply visit the site.

Views: 1148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

excellent! definitely bookmarking that site on my iphone.
I'd argue that this system could be a key enabler of future larger organic masses, scattered masses, and diverse other event types, and the paper waste mention only proves its utility. This is a logical, considered, required progression, based on many many hours reflecting on the nature of the beast. Didja read the about? You just don't have a web enabled phone, do ya honey ;)
Frankly I and other futurephiles and skaters and iPhone users I know far PREFER this format to paper.
I live on next to nothing, and I have an iPhone; costs less than smoking. They're so not elitist anymore, nor are the many other capable models. Nor is SMS. If anything I'd say they're grass-roots at this point, as twitter demonstrates. And we're making constant headway on the inclusive front; that's like hating this system because it'll lead to hand cancer. Please, how can one possibly argue AGAINST improved communications. And it's multi-mass capable. Oh H, we bicker like an old married couple ;)
Dude, I would fundamentally question all your assumptions, perceptions, predictions, and assertions here and before, but have no time. Still, thanx for the feedback!
H3 makes a lot of great points in this thread! I do not think this masser.me site will be the problem solver of cm communication. CM Iis a big ride and having everyone check their iphone while riding their bicycle is not a good idea, especially at cm.
yeah seriously, if youre using a phone on a bike to talk into, you've only got one hand on the bars, which isnt so bad, but if youre using two hands to fiddle with your i phone, i might kick you, and then where will you be?
You guys don't get the point.

I don't think anyone actually in the mass would be wanting to track themselves. This seems more useful to someone like myself who didn't make daley plaza on time so pulled over to see where I can wait and meet everyone without worrying wether everyone passed by already.

And their are way more phones out there that are web capable and more affordable than the iphone so lets not make this an iphone argument.
no, i get the point.
I think it would be a great tool for police surveillance!

Ride a bike... there's an app for that

Use the toilet... there's an app for that

Get a life... there's an app for that

Sarcasm... there's an app for that

I swear I will never twitter...
It looks like a very interesting site that could be useful then again it might not be. I don't know why andrew is being criticized here. We should be happy that someone is making an effort to assist the cycling community. Sure everyone might not have a web enabled phone but that reason alone shouldn't preclude one from making a tool with the talents they do have.

Honestly, I'm surprised Howard is critiquing this. Aren't you a person who constantly says "do something, don't just talk." Andrew did something. It doesn't hurt anyone so just don't use it if you don't like it.
*applause* Well said

jamimaria said:
It looks like a very interesting site that could be useful then again it might not be. I don't know why andrew is being criticized here. We should be happy that someone is making an effort to assist the cycling community. Sure everyone might not have a web enabled phone but that reason alone shouldn't preclude one from making a tool with the talents they do have.

Honestly, I'm surprised Howard is critiquing this. Aren't you a person who constantly says "do something, don't just talk." Andrew did something. It doesn't hurt anyone so just don't use it if you don't like it.
Thanx some of y'all for being it getters ;) Thanx others for making me stronger.
But no more ad hominem arguments OK dummies?!?

I make the tools I need, which often serve others as well. Ipso facto others need this. And it's not just for CM.

What I expected here was bad links, feature suggestions, caching issues, reports of phones on which it looks fine, like to sees, ...
'Cause it's not going anywhere, except maybe planetwide.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service