The Chainlink

Lost/Stolen: Surly Steamroller. 52cm. Maroon. Brooks Saddle. Black bar tape. LOGAN SQUARE

Hey, everyone.  New here.  I've followed all the necessary steps (poilce report, bike registry).

My bike is a Surly Steamroller.  52cm, maroon in color, with a worn out Brooks brown leather seat with yellow tape stuck to it.  Black Fiz-ik bar tape.  Standard cages.  There's a dent on the top tube, pretty small.

My bike was...stolen yesterday (Thursday, August 16th @ ~9AM).  In Logan Square at the intersection of Belden and Talman.  Technically it's mostly my fault.  I was loading shit into my van, got a phone call from work and got distracted.  Drove away and realized but when I got back it was too late.  I've put up some crude posters in the area.  I've been scanning Craigslist non-stop (Milwaukee and Madison as well) and checking eBay, too.  If anyone sees it please contact me at steinamic@gmail.com

Thanks!

Brandon

Views: 1067

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does anyone scope out pawn shops?  I was driving down cicero around armitage last night (never been to that area before) and the pawn shops I saw were filled with bikes.  Just an idea. 

The legitimate pawn shops have to report everything.  And everyone is SUPPOSED to hold everything for 30 days.  Problem is that some of those buy/sell shops like the one you're describing don't have much in the way of scruples.  I'll have to check them myself to see.  I'm also going to hit the swap meet at 4200 S Ashalnd tomorrow morning.

Apie said:

Does anyone scope out pawn shops?  I was driving down cicero around armitage last night (never been to that area before) and the pawn shops I saw were filled with bikes.  Just an idea. 

Glad to see you found your way here, Brandon. Surlycue from Reddit here. I hope you have luck at Swap-o-Rama tomorrow.

Where is the dent?

Not sure which bike registry you posted this to, but it wasn't the Chicago Stolen Bike Registry. It's local.

I don't see it on the 'other' registry either.

Bikes gone missing under these circumstances often do get returned as long as there's a reasonably easy way to find out who the owner is.

And considering the nature of the theft I also think Swap O Rama is a pretty unlikely place for it to turn up-- probably not looking at career thieves here.

Kevin C said:

Not sure which bike registry you posted this to, but it wasn't the Chicago Stolen Bike Registry. It's local.

Sorry. I missed that the timeframe of the OP was August 17th. Missed the Lazarus nature of the thread.

Thunder Snow said:

Yeah, this thread is definitely raising the dead.  OP Brandon, did your Surly ever turn up?

On another angle, the difficulty a couple of us had in searching the registry may point to places we can improve the search function of the registry.  I had to manually search in a way a better search engine could have done in a fraction of the time I took: I searched for Surly, knowing it's kind of a niche bike and there wouldn't be too many on the registry.  I didn't search on "Steamroller" just in case it got reported as "Steemroller" or "Steamroler".  And I used fuzzy dates: I looked for anything from Aug. 16 (date stolen) to Aug. 20 (possible lag time in reporting theft).  Humans can do this, but it's tedious (though this one took less than a minute).  A better search function could do the exact same "fuzzy" search in a millisecond.  Is there a way to improve our search function on the site?

Believe it or not, the upgrade to the newer version of Drupal has improved the search function somewhat.

"Steamroller" scores hits.

"Steam roller" does not.

"Steamroler" does not.

Thunder Snow said:

Yeah, this thread is definitely raising the dead.  OP Brandon, did your Surly ever turn up?

On another angle, the difficulty a couple of us had in searching the registry may point to places we can improve the search function of the registry.  I had to manually search in a way a better search engine could have done in a fraction of the time I took: I searched for Surly, knowing it's kind of a niche bike and there wouldn't be too many on the registry.  I didn't search on "Steamroller" just in case it got reported as "Steemroller" or "Steamroler".  And I used fuzzy dates: I looked for anything from Aug. 16 (date stolen) to Aug. 20 (possible lag time in reporting theft).  Humans can do this, but it's tedious (though this one took less than a minute).  A better search function could do the exact same "fuzzy" search in a millisecond.  Is there a way to improve our search function on the site?

Hmmm...if it's improved, it doesn't seem quite enough for our purposes.  You and Howard are the most experienced with the registry as anybody, so I don't hold out a lot of hope we less practiced folks are going to do any better.  Can we set the search to at least bracket dates into a timeframe?  In this case Aug. 16, 2012 (begin searching) to Aug. 20 (end search).  Realize, I'm an idiot with computer programming, so I'm asking this out of ignorance.  But I've seen other search functions with multiple attributes, like the Chainlink's member search, which could more quickly narrow down a possible listing when a suspected stolen bike is spotted.

Kevin C said:

Believe it or not, the upgrade to the newer version of Drupal has improved the search function somewhat.

So, one could search a dozen versions of the word "steamroller" and never find "steamrollller"?  That doesn't seem right.

Kevin C said:

"Steamroller" scores hits.

"Steam roller" does not.

"Steamroler" does not.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service