The Chainlink

Thought this should be posted before Monday's commute

Views: 12497

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Wow! 

I took a 147 express bus home yesterday evening. The trip from downtown to home was about 2.5 hours. There were waves crashing across the outer drive. My biggest concern in the winter is the bend along the LFP at Oak Street. But now I'm beginning to wonder if we will have much of anything left south of Fullerton. Winter hasn't even started yet. This is very ominous. 

Wow indeed. Where was the photo taken?

My God.  I have biked through  that part just after huge  waves came through but I had no idea that the waves could be so powerful do dislodge a paved surface. Quite dramatic. I'll have to bike this this afternoon.

All they did was slap asphalt in concrete.  It doesn't really surprise me that waves would cause it to slide off like that.

Y'know, I see cameras at several points along the bike path around there. I wish they could hook them up to a web feed and give us some real time display on conditions along the bike path. There's been talk about rebuilding the outer drive for a few years now, probably a multi billion dollar project. We could do this for relative chump change.

And that's the nice part.  Just south of Fullerton the trail's under two feet of sand.  Last night I had to ride on the single track that is next to Lake Shore Drive.  The choke point at Navy Pier is trashed, too.

Just south of Fullerton:

The stretch being filmed last night:

South of Oak Street.  A few hundred feet of asphalt has been stripped away:

And here's the section looking south from just south of Fullerton, at 5pm on Saturday:

It looked completely covered-over in sand as far as I could see from there.

Between Fullerton and this photo there was another section where the pavement washed away, though not nearly as big of an area as the photo in the OP. And due to dumb luck, they have just paved the winter dirt-path bypass next to that section in preparation for the Fullerton revetment project, so that washed-away section can be easily bypassed. Too bad that's ultimately useless since the sand covers the trail 100 ft. after the bypass rejoins the main trail.

I'm hoping the Chicago Park District crews will soon get the sand moved back where it belongs but I'm really concerned about the stripped away asphalt. I will probably make a test run tomorrow. Thanks to you and Tricolor for the useful pics.

skyrefuge said:

And here's the section looking south from just south of Fullerton, at 5pm on Saturday:

Between Fullerton and this photo there was another section where the pavement washed away, though not nearly as big of an area as the photo in the OP. And due to dumb luck, they have just paved the winter dirt-path bypass next to that section in preparation for the Fullerton revetment project, so that washed-away section can be easily bypassed. Too bad that's ultimately useless since the sand covers the trail 100 ft. after the bypass rejoins the main trail.

On Friday night that upper path was getting hit by occasional waves, too.  I really thought it was going to be destroyed as well, since all the gravel around the base was being washed away.

The sand is the biggest issue; people can get on/off the trail at North Ave, but Fullerton's a bit too far north.

Yeah, well, I don't hold out much hope for this. I've lived in Chicago since 1990. I think this summer was the worst I've seen the LFP as far as conditions go. Sand dunes all over the path from Fullerton to North Ave, potholes, just extremely disappointing. I guess Mayor Rahm has his donors to repay and other priorities.

Joe Guzzardo said:

I'm hoping the Chicago Park District crews will soon get the sand moved back where it belongs but I'm really concerned about the stripped away asphalt. I will probably make a test run tomorrow. Thanks to you and Tricolor for the useful pics.

skyrefuge said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service