The Chainlink

I've been wondering forever why there's not a reliable source to know:

1) The conditions on the Lakefront Trail (LFT - or LFP, whatever you choose to call it)

2) The activities on the LFP - like, what events are being run when, and where, etc.

I know the Park District (I think, that is) controls the activities o the LFP, so I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get them to provide a resource we people can check when and where events are scheduled -- last year I got caught up in 3 separate walks/runs by McCormick place, and had I been able to check prior I would have avoided that area.

I was pleased to find this twitter link via the Active Trans site, and hope more people 

use it, report conditions, etc.:

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23ChiLFT&src=hash

http://www.activetrans.org/lakefronttrailconditions

Views: 315

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A quick search of "Lakefront Trail Conditions" before posting would have revealed the following prior threads:

  1. It's here - the Lakefront Trail Traffic Report - The Chainlink

    Mar 8, 2011 - 13 posts - ‎7 authors
    For many years, the Active Transportation Alliance has used its blog to provide Lakefront Trail users with regular updates about trailconditions...
  2. Lakefront Trail Condition? - The Chainlink

    Feb 4, 2010 - 13 posts - ‎10 authors
    Does anyone know if the lakefront trail is rideable right now? I want to ride from 53rd Hyde Park to Belmont. Anyone have any recent ...
  3. Lakefront Trail Conditions - The Chainlink

    www.thechainlink.org/forum/topics/lakefront-trail-conditions
    Dec 8, 2010 - 2 posts - ‎2 authors
    Rode the trail today. Just an FYI that the path is nice and clear (from ice and people) between Addison south to Oak Street. From Oak Street to ...
  4. Anywhere You Can Find Lakefront Path Activities That Are Going On ...

    Aug 2, 2013 - 13 posts - ‎10 authors
    You can also share updates about trail conditions with us by using the #ChiLFT hashtag on twitter or just emailing lakefront@activetrans.org.
  5. Lakefront Trail Condition? – The Chainlink

    Feb 4, 2010 - Does anyone know if the lakefront trail is rideable right now? I want to ride from 53rd Hyde Park to Belmont. Anyone have any recent ...
  6. Lakeshore Trail Condition - The Chainlink

    Feb 3, 2011 - 3 posts - ‎3 authors
    Hi there, does anybody have an update regarding the Lakefront Trail condition? I imagine it's icy in particular around Fullerton - North.
     

Being a regular user of the LFP (which seems to be the way people refer to it here), I have looked extensively for event information resources, and to the best of my knowledge, it's reliably scant. Some big events will be widely promoted and so easy to identify online, and their organizers will often post signs along the trail in advance to let users know. Other events - many others, in my experience - will just take you by surprise. I have a sneaking suspicion that some of the activities aren't specifically permitted.

I am thinking, this season, that I'll contribute to the crowdsource as much as I personally can. That might ultimately be the best tool we have. 

Do we have a version of this for the North Branch Trail?

Well, none of those prior threads you noted, as far as I can tell, have ever mentioned where to find activities on the LFP, and as for the Active Trans twitter the one I referred to has much more up to date info on the LFP conditions.  



Kevin C said:

A quick search of "Lakefront Trail Conditions" before posting would have revealed the following prior threads:

  1. It's here - the Lakefront Trail Traffic Report - The Chainlink

    Mar 8, 2011 - 13 posts - ‎7 authors
    For many years, the Active Transportation Alliance has used its blog to provide Lakefront Trail users with regular updates about trailconditions...
  2. Lakefront Trail Condition? - The Chainlink

    Feb 4, 2010 - 13 posts - ‎10 authors
    Does anyone know if the lakefront trail is rideable right now? I want to ride from 53rd Hyde Park to Belmont. Anyone have any recent ...
  3. Lakefront Trail Conditions - The Chainlink

    www.thechainlink.org/forum/topics/lakefront-trail-conditions
    Dec 8, 2010 - 2 posts - ‎2 authors
    Rode the trail today. Just an FYI that the path is nice and clear (from ice and people) between Addison south to Oak Street. From Oak Street to ...
  4. Anywhere You Can Find Lakefront Path Activities That Are Going On ...

    Aug 2, 2013 - 13 posts - ‎10 authors
    You can also share updates about trail conditions with us by using the #ChiLFT hashtag on twitter or just emailing lakefront@activetrans.org.
  5. Lakefront Trail Condition? – The Chainlink

    Feb 4, 2010 - Does anyone know if the lakefront trail is rideable right now? I want to ride from 53rd Hyde Park to Belmont. Anyone have any recent ...
  6. Lakeshore Trail Condition - The Chainlink

    Feb 3, 2011 - 3 posts - ‎3 authors
    Hi there, does anybody have an update regarding the Lakefront Trail condition? I imagine it's icy in particular around Fullerton - North.
     

I am pretty sure the prior threads pose the same question and provide the same content as you did. Even if they did not, it is nicer to add a comment to appropriate threads rather than open yet another thread on the same subject. Makes sense?


Bill Nedza said:

Well, none of those prior threads you noted, as far as I can tell, have ever mentioned where to find activities on the LFP, and as for the Active Trans twitter the one I referred to has much more up to date info on the LFP conditions.  

Agreed.  I didn't really know you could search (for) previous threads, and would have just replied/commented on older ones had I known.  

ilter said:

I am pretty sure the prior threads pose the same question and provide the same content as you did. Even if they did not, it is nicer to add a comment to appropriate threads rather than open yet another thread on the same subject. Makes sense?


Bill Nedza said:

Well, none of those prior threads you noted, as far as I can tell, have ever mentioned where to find activities on the LFP, and as for the Active Trans twitter the one I referred to has much more up to date info on the LFP conditions.  

I didn't see the actual conditions on that link (or they were dated) so I'll chime in.  I rode to Oak Street from Wilson and everything was fine and well cleared. There is a 150 meter section just south of Fullerton that was still closed off due to snow.  So everybody uses the "upper" path which is frozen exposed  dirt with heavy tire ruts and much water/ice.  Very bikeable if you go slow and have fatter tires  but wouldn't want to take it on a road bike.   

Hope this helps. Obviously things must be ever better  now.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service