The Chainlink

Does anyone know if the lakefront trail is rideable right now? I want to ride from 53rd Hyde Park to Belmont. Anyone have any recent experience with what patches I should expect? I know the S curve is probably still coated, but anyone know anything else?

Views: 1058

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This evening at 8:30 pm the Lake Front Path was basically free and clear of snow from Monroe Street harbor to 51st street. Sure was a welcome change from the 3 inches of wet, heavy snow that covered the path on the way in to work this morning. (The commute in, done entirely in my granny gear, reminded me of why I love powder snow so much more than the heavy, wet stuff.)

Kudos to the Park District for the nice plow job.
I went down on some ice on the LFP this morning taking the eastern path past the boat restaurant. They plowed but didn't salt. Western path was ok though.
probably very hard to keep salted because of the fact that waves often break up on to the path.

Molly said:
The S curve is dicey at times. Any reason why this can't be salted too?
Who is the 'they' that plows? Is it the Chicago Park District? Im just wondering is there any communication going on between Active Transportation and the CCD about the number of impacted cyclists who cant use the bike path during bad conditions because of irregular/spotty plowing/salting? This city claims to be 'green' yet there is no reliable, consistent plowing of our flagship bike path in the wintertime...which seems like a nobrainer.

Thoughts?

envane x said:
I went down on some ice on the LFP this morning taking the eastern path past the boat restaurant. They plowed but didn't salt. Western path was ok though.
chixieonfixie said:
Who is the 'they' that plows? Is it the Chicago Park District? Im just wondering is there any communication going on between Active Transportation and the CCD about the number of impacted cyclists who cant use the bike path during bad conditions because of irregular/spotty plowing/salting? This city claims to be 'green' yet there is no reliable, consistent plowing of our flagship bike path in the wintertime...which seems like a nobrainer.

Thoughts?

envane x said:

I think it's the park district that does the plowing. They've been fairly consistent about plowing the path and salting the path after it snows (at least in the south side). There are a few parts of the path that are consistently bad though (curve near oak st, just south of hollywood) and that's due waves from the lake washing up onto the path. I don't think there's much that can be done there without doing construction on the path to prevent that.

S said:

I think it's the park district that does the plowing. They've been fairly consistent about plowing the path and salting the path after it snows (at least in the south side).

When I actually encounter plows on the path, they are usually Park District trucks. I think different Chicago Park District districts are responsible for different parts of the path.

As far as the plowing on the south side, "they" are generally very good about getting out quickly to plow (and salt) the path. Assuming the snow falls on a weekday, the path is usually plowed the same day.
Hey guys, who do we talk to regarding clearing the sand on the path near North Ave beach? A co-worker has fallen twice due to excessive sand on the path. 311? Alderman? CDOT?
who is "he"? The alderman in that area is Vi Daley, a woman :))

Serge Lubomudrov said:
The Hi Guy! I've seen him clearing the Trail of sand and other stuff :)

Julie Hochstadter said:
Hey guys, who do we talk to regarding clearing the sand on the path near North Ave beach? A co-worker has fallen twice due to excessive sand on the path. 311? Alderman? CDOT?
oh yes, I have seen the "Hi" guy. I may have seen his bike today on the LPF near the tennis courts near Addison (where Lakeshore Bikes have a stand).

Serge Lubomudrov said:
I don't believe you haven't heard of Hi Guy! Or seen him:

Julie Hochstadter said:

Serge Lubomudrov said:

Julie Hochstadter said:
I haven't seen him in a while. On more than one occasion, I have seen his dedication to keeping the lakefront path clear.

Serge Lubomudrov said:
I don't believe you haven't heard of Hi Guy! Or seen him:

Julie Hochstadter said:

Serge Lubomudrov said:

Julie Hochstadter said:
Rode from the North end of the path to Shedd and back this morning. The sand that was on the path after the Air and Water show has finally been cleared - especially that bad spot where the path branches West just north of Castaways.
Took em like a week to get it done. They should make sand clearing part of the normal cleanup after big events like that.

Jamie Elenbaas said:
Rode from the North end of the path to Shedd and back this morning. The sand that was on the path after the Air and Water show has finally been cleared - especially that bad spot where the path branches West just north of Castaways.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service