The Chainlink

Hopefully you've heard by now that CDOT will begin construction this week on the city's first protected bike lane: Kinzie Street from Milwaukee Avenue/Desplaines Street to Wells Street. 

Full story on Steven Can Plan. 

I want to know what you think about this.

• What do you feel will need special attention?
  • Is this the right or wrong location for such a facility? Why?
  • Are you going to thank/congratulate Rahm, Gabe, and the CDOT Bicycle Program?
  • Will you use it?

Cycle track and protected bike lane naysayers, this isn't the post for you. But if you've ridden in protected bike lanes before, then I welcome your constructive comments and criticism based on your actual experiences. 

Big intersection

The new beginning. Looking southeast at the intersection of Kinzie/Milwaukee/Desplaines. 

Views: 3750

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok, ok.  I should have said, "It's not fully operational."  Jeez.

Steven Vance said:

It's not working properly because it's not done.

• There are no bike symbols on the pavement.
  • There're no bollards
  • There's no signage

No one knows it's a bike lane except us. 

It will be completed before Bike To Work Day on June 17th.

Yeah but still like the drivers don't notice? But I give them too much credit after watching numerous cars try to continue through the closed part of the Wacker reconstruction.

Mark Kenseth said:

Ok, ok.  I should have said, "It's not fully operational."  Jeez.

Steven Vance said:

It's not working properly because it's not done.

• There are no bike symbols on the pavement.
  • There're no bollards
  • There's no signage

No one knows it's a bike lane except us. 

It will be completed before Bike To Work Day on June 17th.

This is not a schematic of Kinzie Street but an excerpt from the NACTO Urban Bikeway Design Guide, which you can view in full and in color on NACTO's website

H3N3 said:

I just received this updated schematic from a source inside CDOT (click to view full size):

Cartlin Thomas from CDOT sent me these attachments on cycle tracks and bike boulevards.

H3N3 said:

Can you post the pdfs (or zip file) here (to this discussion) as an attachment?

See "add attachment" link just below the reply field.

Thanks!

Attachments:
I think those are in the file Ash posted.

Julie Hochstadter said:
Cartlin Thomas from CDOT sent me these attachments on cycle tracks and bike boulevards.

H3N3 said:

Can you post the pdfs (or zip file) here (to this discussion) as an attachment?

See "add attachment" link just below the reply field.

Thanks!

Oh my god, I used a slightly inaccurate descriptor in order to post a funny.  Please forgive me!!!

Steven Vance said:
This is not a schematic of Kinzie Street but an excerpt from the NACTO Urban Bikeway Design Guide, which you can view in full and in color on NACTO's website

H3N3 said:

I just received this updated schematic from a source inside CDOT (click to view full size):

No loosely goosiness allowed.

H3N3 said:
Oh my god, I used a slightly inaccurate descriptor in order to post a funny.  Please forgive me!!!y Design Guide, which you can view in full and in color on NACTO's website

Steven Vance said:
This is not a schematic of Kinzie Street but an excerpt from the NACTO Urban Bikewa
H3N3 said:

I just received this updated schematic from a source inside CDOT

Is it true that Emanuel would like to have 100 miles of these buffered bike lanes in his first 4 years?  If so, at this rate having completed 0.5 miles by June 17, his first month in office, we're looking at 6 miles complete in the first year and 24 miles in 4 years.  I'm not harping on this rate of progress.  I'm actually thrilled to know that the next buffered bike lane may be a couple miles in order to accomplish Emanuel's 100 mile plan.  The 0.5 mile Kinzie route felt great (albeit going around cars).  And it's a great connecter route to people heading to the train stations (Olgilvie and Union).  I can't wait to ride a longer buffered bike lane.
See page 37 of how Emanuel envisions creating a world class bicycle network.

http://www.chicago2011.org/transition-report.pdf

A lot of the other parts are worth reading as well, btw.

Mark Kenseth said:

Is it true that Emanuel would like to have 100 miles of these buffered bike lanes in his first 4 years?  If so, at this rate having completed 0.5 miles by June 17, his first month in office, we're looking at 6 miles complete in the first year and 24 miles in 4 years.  I'm not harping on this rate of progress.  I'm actually thrilled to know that the next buffered bike lane may be a couple miles in order to accomplish Emanuel's 100 mile plan.  The 0.5 mile Kinzie route felt great (albeit going around cars).  And it's a great connecter route to people heading to the train stations (Olgilvie and Union).  I can't wait to ride a longer buffered bike lane.
I have to imagine that the first few miles will be the slowest.  It takes a while to get any new project up and going.  

Mark Kenseth said:
Is it true that Emanuel would like to have 100 miles of these buffered bike lanes in his first 4 years?  If so, at this rate having completed 0.5 miles by June 17, his first month in office, we're looking at 6 miles complete in the first year and 24 miles in 4 years.  

I haven't read "all" the comments in this thread so sorry if I duplicate. Here's a CLTV interview with Gabe Klein, Chicago's new CDOT Commissioner:

http://www.cltv.com/wgntv-new-man-at-the-top-of-cdot-who-is-gabe-kl...

• I hope there will be clear, well placed signage indicating it's for bicycle use only...errant squirrels or pigeons are ok, bipedalists who can read, not ok to use the lane.
  • Stony Island was not the best location to start this project, not that it doesn't need it, so I am happy it was relocated to Kinzie. I am biased in saying this since I submitted Kinzie as a potential bike blvd choice when ATA was soliciting input about those back in April. I reside on the near west side and not the loop. This section of Kinzie is a pretty good spot from which the protected bike lanes can be extended into the downtown area as well as into the neighborhoods...eventually including all directions found on a compass. Having ridden all over Chicago to the very edge of its borders and beyond, it needs to start where bicyclists are already a common sight than not...helps raise awareness more quickly, I think, to build momentum for more.  
  • Will say thanks for getting things rolling but holding off on the congratulatory remarks until the 2miles promised are built along with the 25miles/year. It's the whole accountability thing...I am a stickler for that sort of thing.
  • I will use it by rerouting my morning commute a smidge just because it's there and see if it changes the quality of my ride...for a whole quarter mile!! 
=)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service