That tannery on Webster was torn down last year...nothing but a brick-strewn vacant lot along the river now.
This thread bookends nicely with the thread with pictures of bike injuries. People die alone and unmissed in this city every day. And the corpse remains until someone investigates...weeks sometimes. Look around your apartment...if you see a large dark stain on your hardwood floor, chances are it was caused by a rotting corpse sometime in the past.
Here's the Stages of Deterioration after 24 hours and onward:
After one day:
19. There is a pervasive smell of rotting meat.
20. The face of the person is essentially no longer recognizable.
After 3 days:
21. The gas in the body tissues forms large blisters on the skin.
22. The whole body begins to bloat and swell grotesquely.
23. Fluids leak from the mouth, nose, vagina, and rectum.
After 3 weeks:
24. The skin, hair, and nails are so loose they can easily be pulled off the corpse.
25. The skin bursts open on many places on the body.
26. Decomposition will continue until the body is nothing but skeletal remains, a process that can take a month or so in hot climates, and two months or more in cold climates.