The Chainlink

I rode in to work today, and now I'm thinking I might have to bus it half the way home.  I live about 7 miles from my office which really isn't bad, but man it is hot out there.  I was just wondering if I'm the only one considering wussing out.

Views: 3902

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My commute is seven as well. I rode to and from with no worries. I also lead bike tours in this heat. The trick is to take it slow. You have natural AC on the bike while moving. Drink lots of water before you leave work. Once home, take a cool shower chased by a warm shower. It'll bring down your core temp. Good luck!! You can do it ;-)
I usually ride 13 miles round trip to Evanston and back, but I live half a block from the UP North Metra. This week I've taken the train every day. When I leave the house at 5:50 a.m., I think, eh, this doesn't seem so bad, but by the time I come home I'm thankful to be getting on the train. Aside from the heat, the air quality also seems really bad, as my throat feels kind of tight after walking outside for a couple minutes.
around twenty miles a day and no it's not keeping me off the bike, but it's probably keeping the rest of the human race at a distance from me.

The bigger the challenge, the more I want to ride! (26 miles round trip daily).

For longer trips, usually freeze a gallon of H20 and put on one of my milk crates.

I'll take 30-40F over this, any day though.

Yeah I've been staying hydrated.  I didn't know that trick about the shower chaser, I'll try that out!

I know myself and I knowwwww I'll just leave and get on the bike and be fine, I was just so ridiculously hot walking down the block to pick up my lunch that I didn't even want to eat it when I got back and I was like oh god I don't want to ride home in this.

Back on the saddle. 

Kelly said:

My commute is seven as well. I rode to and from with no worries. I also lead bike tours in this heat. The trick is to take it slow. You have natural AC on the bike while moving. Drink lots of water before you leave work. Once home, take a cool shower chased by a warm shower. It'll bring down your core temp. Good luck!! You can do it ;-)

This is fine.

Remember February?

Actually, that wasn't so bad either...

Don't let yourself be persuaded by the "I'll ride in any weather crowd". While they might feel comfortable in this heat, it doesn't mean that you will.

Heat stroke is a real danger in weather like this. No need to suffer a heat stroke only because you feel taking the bus home makes you look like a wussy.

I've been wimping out -- it's 13 miles each way for me, with two non-trivial hills. Plus I'm 50 years old. But tomorrow I'll stash my bike rack in my son's car, ride my bike to work in the morning and have him give me a ride home in the afternoon. (He's interning at my place of employment this summer -- nepotism has its advantages).

I've noticed that I'm fine while I'm riding... it's when I stop that the heat gets to me.  So yes, Kelly I agree wholeheartedly about the natural AC concept.

On that note, at Noble Tree on Clark right now and I hear the barista and a customer talking about riding 6-8 MPH max in this weather.

Kelly said:

Oh I totally prefer winter riding to summer riding.  I like fall best, and spring second, but I'll take slush and freezing cold to this ridiculous heat/sun.

in it to win it said:

This is fine.

Remember February?

Actually, that wasn't so bad either...

I'm impervious to peer pressure!  Just curious.  I know that every time I feel gripey about riding home I just wind up doing it anyway.  Maybe I'll take the bus!  Who knows?

Duppie said:

Don't let yourself be persuaded by the "I'll ride in any weather crowd". While they might feel comfortable in this heat, it doesn't mean that you will.

Heat stroke is a real danger in weather like this. No need to suffer a heat stroke only because you feel taking the bus home makes you look like a wussy.

Although I hate this oppressing heat and humidity, I have been riding in it all this week and so far, no ill effects-I do 16 miles roundtrip for work. Keeping hydrated and just going a little bit slower than usual seems to be working well and a nice lukewarm shower when I get home also helps.  If the heat was making me feel sick, I would probably just take the bus or train home, but so far, so good. Please just be careful when you go out in this weather, keep hydrated and don't overdo it and if you feel you can't do it, then don't-Your own health and safety is more important than a bike ride.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service