The Chainlink

So yeah, last night I rode out to meet a buddy for a beer, and a fellow in the bar commented to me how the lack of clipless pedals and the "loud" lighting on my road bike precludes me from being a true cyclist. Also, he mentioned that I ordered a Newcastle instead of PBR, so I wasn't "keeping it real".

I didn't want to get into a whole debate with the guy because since he had obviously had a few too many PBRs, the discussion would go nowhere. I did ascribe the pedals and the lights to the same factor, my almost getting hit by cars in the past. My bike does have SPDs, but I choose to ride with the adapters on them so I don't have to lock my feet to the pedals as doing that makes me nervous about close calls with cars. The lights are somewhat obnoxious I guess, but they have the same effect as that laser bike lane thing, so for me, the tradeoff is a good one.

The one thing I couldn't even counter on, was that not drinking PBR makes me a fraud as a cyclist. Most of my bike-related choices are very pragmatic, I don't drink PBR not to make a political or social statement, I just happen to prefer various other beers. Not to knock anyone who enjoys that beer of course, I just didn't realize it was such a hot button for some people.

So then, should one compromise a bit to be official in the cycling community, or was my next-stool neighbor last night just a blue ribbon snob?

Views: 1258

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

111 should wear a sign on his back "Please leave enough room when passing next time"
Vando:
Don't compromise. Be who you are. Drink what beers you like. Ride what bikes you like. Beer Drinking and Cycling (NOT both at the same time!) are supposed to be fun and not an accessory or fashion statement.

IMHO, I think you answered your own question about the PBR thing. A few too many.

Also IMHO, PBR went out as a trendy beer about 3-4 years ago. Schlitz is the current trendy beer now that it has recently been rebranded using the original pre-1970s recipe. However, here is what I think will be the future trendy beer in ten words: LaCrosse Lager, because it is the original "Old Style" beer. Don't forget you heard it here first!
wait, isn't PBR basically trailer trash beer?
PBR snobs - who'd of thought they'd ever exist! You ride therefore you are - the philosophy of biking from Descarte.
People who drink PBR are most always the best and the cheapest dates of all. Just be careful who you wake up next 2, because the best looking date does not always end up so good looking the next morning.

I propose Icehouse as the next "it" drink. It's cheap and it will fuck you up. Made by the same brewery as PBR as well. As far as your lights, leave them on and let them shine in the guys eyes.
As far as clipless pedals, at least SPD's, while their use doesn't make one more or less of a cyclist there is really no reason not to use them. They really are safer in almost all conditions.
Yes, but many "hipsters" are cyclists of sorts. So when all the Chuck Taylor wearing skinny jeans track bike ridin' kids go to a bar and order the cheapest beer there (which is usually a PBR) the stereotype just grows. I wear skinny jeans, chucks, and have not very much money which is why i started biking in the first place. If I go out for a beer, most likely I get the cheapest, a PBR, so I can hang out with peeps but still have cash flow. Either that or the "special" (well drinks, $2 beers at Estelle's on Tuesdays, or what have you. Schmeh.

Oh yeah...ride whatever bike you want, drink what you want, whatever! There are trends in the biking scene within certain groups for sure, but that's not what makes them cyclists at all. A Body, a Bike, and the confidence to ride is all you need. Forget that guy!

BK said:
As a car-free Chicago cyclist, I make the following statements:
Loud lightning- smart urban cyclists should closely resemble Christmas trees, as far as lights go Pedal clips- clipping your feet to your pedals is dangerous in the city
PBR- the hipster crowd has already claimed PBR. Cyclists will need to find a different signature beer. I bet Schlitz is unclaimed. Make mine a Diet Pepsi, thank you.
whatever, I prefer Gin and Tonic and I ride fixed.
wait wait, a beer conversation?! this i have to get in on.

i have long held that PBR is the best of your shitty-beer options. (please keep in mind that i am of german heritage, and PBR is, without a doubt, a shitty beer.) that watered-down brew, however, can be damn near perfect after a ride when you need to rehydrate and have some carbs join the party, too.

i am dismissing the question of what a real cyclist is (or what he should be drinking) because placing people into acceptable boundaries of behavior is unproductive at best and stifling at worst. i can't imagine myself ingesting those goo packets that many cyclists train and race with, but that doesn't mean i'm any less of a cyclist than they are--just different.

besides, that nosy prick at your neighboring bar stool is a bit behind the times. the really hip urban cyclists have long ago given up PBR for Malort. (for the record, i do not recommend that anyone ever drink Malort.)
When I was stationed in Germany I got really spoiled drinking good beer. So my perspective is a bit skewed I guess. I am not much of a drinker to begin with, but out of politeness I will drink PBR if it is offered. Also, not having much money to spend, I may sometimes even purchase it. But I have never really given much thought to what is Hip Or not. It really does not occur to me. Drink what you want to drink, ride what you want (or can afford) to ride. The canoe crowd is similar. There are those who feel that real canoes are only made of wood. there are those who scorn aluminum. some will only paddle Kevlar or Graphite canoes. As long as you are out there, Either on a bike or in a canoe, it is all good. I guess I have a foot in both worlds. I paddle a lightweight kevlar canoe, but ride an old steel Schwinn.

and as far as drink is concerened. I am lucky that there are brewers and winemakers in my family. My brother (an exterminator by trade) makes fantastic beer. and a cousin of mine (a Catholic priest) makes very good wine. so I have been spolied on homebrews.

But dont be worried by what is hip and what is not. The very moment someone tries to be hip, or follows a trend, they make a fool of themselves to a certain extent.

think for yourself, and do what you want.
I know alot of folks drink it because they put all the real money into their bike, and rent, and blah, so the 5 spot they've got left can obviously cover a PBR. Nothing wrong with that. Again, drink what you want/can afford. No one cares. I mean, unless you're a douche, like that guy.
I have had Malort, at a bar in Berwyn one time. Some guys there bought me a round and ordered it for me. A free drink is a free drink, but dude... Drinking it must be a highly masculine affectation or something, I can't imagine anyone actually enjoying that stuff.

lauren sailor said:
wait wait, a beer conversation?! this i have to get in on.

i have long held that PBR is the best of your shitty-beer options. (please keep in mind that i am of german heritage, and PBR is, without a doubt, a shitty beer.) that watered-down brew, however, can be damn near perfect after a ride when you need to rehydrate and have some carbs join the party, too.

i am dismissing the question of what a real cyclist is (or what he should be drinking) because placing people into acceptable boundaries of behavior is unproductive at best and stifling at worst. i can't imagine myself ingesting those goo packets that many cyclists train and race with, but that doesn't mean i'm any less of a cyclist than they are--just different.

besides, that nosy prick at your neighboring bar stool is a bit behind the times. the really hip urban cyclists have long ago given up PBR for Malort. (for the record, i do not recommend that anyone ever drink Malort.)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service