The Chainlink

I noticed this on Grist this morning:

Coronavirus has caused a bicycling boom in New York City

I'm in Portland for several weeks (at least), so can't check myself. Is the biking scene in downtown Chicago changing as companies and individuals adapt to the coronavirus outbreak?

Views: 1883

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As this evolves it may depend on which bike we are talking about.  The Divvy handlebars may not be better than a handrail on the CTA.  Share bikes are often safer than personal bikes because they are slower and some riders are more novice so they take fewer risks but the contamination vector factor may come in to play reading this article in the link.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/3773320-contaminated-commute-swa...

The question is as people move away from the subway and the bus while they may surely move to the bike and the car the ratios remain to be seen.  Cold weather and so for families it will be cars and for others bikes instead.

Man, a lot of variables here.

With scares about public transportation, it cuts both ways.  Probably more biking to work.  But a lot of employers are covering the costs of parking, so as not to require employees to ride the train.  So more cars, with drivers who might be less familiar with biking and traffic patterns.

BUT more working from home.  Which, along with kids being home, hopefully leads to more recreational biking as the weather improves. 

Restaurants closed to dine-in - more takeout?  More nimble bike messengers for delivery?  Good - but also more bikes on the road, and quick delivery incentives could lead to dangerous conditions. 

As with any situation, all this could be addressed and dangers minimized appropriately by everyone being decent, caring, understanding human beings.  I hope we rise to that occasion.  

Right on. 

Good perspectives here.

Hopefully this isn't coming to the USA!

http://cycling.today/italy-and-spain-ban-cycling-completely

If people push the envelope and continue to have group rides in spite of public health recommendations, we may end up this way. Just my $0.02...

It is interesting from that article where they say Spanish health authorities are urging cyclists to stay at home not only because of the threat of infection but rather the risk of putting additional stresses in case of an accident on an already over-burdened healthcare system.

We can see the problem they are pointing out there in Spain.  As we know from other safety data the per kilometer per unit of speed while cycling is fairly dangerous.  While there are other reasons people advocate for cycling it carries per kilometer a healthcare risk and burden that is disproportionally high compared to other available forms of transportation moving at the same speed as a bike per their evaluation.  

When life is more normal societies can cover what they judge as the disproportionate health care burden that cycling generates but the rest of the structure of European health care systems can't afford to cover that for their cyclists when the pressure is really on Spanish and Italian health care resources. 

It's a pretty interesting perspectives with policy implications here in the states too. 

Here you are CLP, these commas added should help out,

When life is more normal, societies can cover what they judge as the disproportionate health care burden that cycling generates, but the rest of the structure of European health care systems can't afford to cover that for their cyclists when the pressure is really on Spanish and Italian health care resources.

"derogatory comments". 
So, here's the thing, if I warn a member for years for treatment of others on the forum and they continue to do it, other members complain, and I give them a "last chance" firm warning, disparaging me on top of it doesn't endear oneself to staying on the forum. I'm cool with disagreements. I'm cool with someone having differing opinions. It's great for debate and dialogue and can bring thoughtful discussion to the forefront. Being nasty is another thing all together. Idk, the world is in a sad and scary place and it's time for more compassion, not less. Take care everyone.

CLP is a troll.  Always has been.

CLP was officially retired. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service