The Chainlink

Thank god someone is thinking about the shortage of suburban style restaurants in the city.

And the lucky neighborhood is:

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.com/article/20130326/CRED05/13032...

Views: 2905

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Strip malls and corporate monoculture, with every business playing to the results of extensive market research to capture the broadest cross-section of patrons and never putting the bottom line at risk by daring to do anything that has the potential to put off the mainstream.

Tony Adams 6.6 mi said:

Ha! good point. Technically, the distinction is binary: on one side of a border you are in the city. On the other, a suburb. But what are we usually really talking about when we talk about city and suburb? Lifestyle? Ambience? Population density? Walkability? In all of these aspects there are huge swaths of Chicago which are more "suburban" than downtown Oak Park, Evanston or scores of other actual suburbs.

J.A.W. 15.08 km said:

Avondale isn't a suburb?

when i was a barista downtown, tourists would ask me where to get good chinese food (i am chinese, but they probably assumed) and i would say pf chang's on wabash.  i mean let's face it they're not going to trek all the way to the south side.  sometimes proximity trumps all.  plus those garlic breadsticks are damn good.  

Thunder Snow said:

Meh. If they had any guts, they'd put the Olive Garden on Taylor Street.  Then a PF Chang's on Wentworth.

Have never eaten at P.F. Chang, but I have once eaten at Olive Garden.  Perfect example of "results of extensive market research to capture the broadest cross-section of patrons and never putting the bottom line at risk by daring to do anything that has the potential to put off the mainstream".  Even in Avondale there are good Italian restaurants--Sabatino's is not far from there.  Who would eat at Olive Garden except people who have no other choice?  Actually, many of the "suburbs" have better restaurants than Olive Garden.

yai danche said:

when i was a barista downtown, tourists would ask me where to get good chinese food (i am chinese, but they probably assumed) and i would say pf chang's on wabash.  i mean let's face it they're not going to trek all the way to the south side.  sometimes proximity trumps all.  plus those garlic breadsticks are damn good.  

Thunder Snow said:

Meh. If they had any guts, they'd put the Olive Garden on Taylor Street.  Then a PF Chang's on Wentworth.

As to "strip malls and corporate monoculture," there's not much to be said for this. It's an Olive Garden going into a K-Mart parking lot, a block from the expressway.

On the other hand, one could see this as Olive Garden reducing overall parking spaces in the area, as it's being dropped into an existing (underutilized) parking lot. It will sit within a block of an 'L' stop. Presumably the new construction will result in bicycle parking being constructed, which can be used by K-Mart visitors as well. This section of Addison has been designated a cross-town bicycle route in the Streets for Cycling 2020 plan.

Personally, I'm happy to see additional commercial development in my neighborhood. While I'd rather see independent businesses in other locations, I also like seeing a multi-billion dollar company indicate their forecasts show the area supporting more restaurants. That should encourage independents (with smaller research budgets) to follow suit. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Mirabell (across the street) picks up some "overflow" from Olive Garden.

All in all, I'm not complaining. In fact, h', I'll buy you dinner there once they open, and we can try out their bicycle rack(s), should they actually install any.

Exactly.  That being said, putting it next to a Kmart is about right.  And, as Justin says, having more businesses (and jobs) isn't bad.  Justin - Maybe you should write to Olive Garden corporate and ask for bike racks.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

Have never eaten at P.F. Chang, but I have once eaten at Olive Garden.  Perfect example of "results of extensive market research to capture the broadest cross-section of patrons and never putting the bottom line at risk by daring to do anything that has the potential to put off the mainstream". 

Sort of on the "suburban life" track--almost 13 years ago I finally convinced my husband to move into the city.  For me, it was returning to my roots.  For him, it was culture shock.  Where we lived in the suburbs, one could not go ANYWHERE without a car. A "good" restaurant was one that was not part of a chain but was still, generally, mediocre.  I was not riding a bike then, but if I had been I would not have been able to run the most basic errands on a bike without taking my life in my hands.

Even he now says he would not go back.  We still have a car, but we can walk, we can take transit, we can bike (well, mostly I can bike) and everything we need is within arm's length.  I know there is a reason for suburbia, but I do not know what it is.

I hear you.   

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

Sort of on the "suburban life" track--almost 13 years ago I finally convinced my husband to move into the city.  For me, it was returning to my roots.  For him, it was culture shock.  Where we lived in the suburbs, one could not go ANYWHERE without a car. A "good" restaurant was one that was not part of a chain but was still, generally, mediocre.  I was not riding a bike then, but if I had been I would not have been able to run the most basic errands on a bike without taking my life in my hands.

Even he now says he would not go back.  We still have a car, but we can walk, we can take transit, we can bike (well, mostly I can bike) and everything we need is within arm's length.  I know there is a reason for suburbia, but I do not know what it is.

Is attendance going to be mandatory at this restaurant?  

Justin, you ignorant slut:

Dinner sounds fine, thanks.

Justin B Newman said:

As to "strip malls and corporate monoculture," there's not much to be said for this. It's an Olive Garden going into a K-Mart parking lot, a block from the expressway.

On the other hand, one could see this as Olive Garden reducing overall parking spaces in the area, as it's being dropped into an existing (underutilized) parking lot. It will sit within a block of an 'L' stop. Presumably the new construction will result in bicycle parking being constructed, which can be used by K-Mart visitors as well. This section of Addison has been designated a cross-town bicycle route in the Streets for Cycling 2020 plan.

Personally, I'm happy to see additional commercial development in my neighborhood. While I'd rather see independent businesses in other locations, I also like seeing a multi-billion dollar company indicate their forecasts show the area supporting more restaurants. That should encourage independents (with smaller research budgets) to follow suit. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Mirabell (across the street) picks up some "overflow" from Olive Garden.

All in all, I'm not complaining. In fact, h', I'll buy you dinner there once they open, and we can try out their bicycle rack(s), should they actually install any.

What about Fuddruckers or Cracker Barrel? I'm sure there are other high falutin' restaurant chains that refuse to lower themselves to opening a store in the gritty city of Chicago.

Let's hope so!

Joe Guzzardo said:

What about Fuddruckers or Cracker Barrel? I'm sure there are other high falutin' restaurant chains that refuse to lower themselves to opening a store in the gritty city of Chicago.

Suburbia exists so families can raise their kids in a germ free, pristine environment, free of cross cultural or socio-economic diversity. Thank g-d that's not as true today as it was say 20 years ago. 

Cul de sacs are out, being car free is in.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

I know there is a reason for suburbia, but I do not know what it is.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service