The Chainlink

Lately I have seen a lot of posts that seem to indicate that there is less than a reasonable understanding of Chicago municipal bike laws. Here is the url, http://www.chicagobikes.org/bikelaws/index.php?show=chicago
It helps to be informed so you know your rights and duties. Please show some civic pride and check it out.

Comments about these laws are encouraged. I am sure many of you already are well informed, but for those of you that are not I think this post is pertinent.

By the way, save your wise ass remarks for when you are at the bar, water-cooler, or other hangouts when looking cool in front of your buddies is acceptable. I would like to see this one stay fairly intellectual in nature if you would all be so kind.

If you have problems interpreting these statutes ask for clarification as there are many people on this site that will be happy to make more clear the letter of the law.

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am curious. What laws are you violating and why? Perhaps this subject requires a forum posting of its own? I know I break certain laws regularly. I certainly don't agree with all the laws that are on the books, or at least the flexibility of said laws. So, I am curious. What laws are flexible and in what situations? I will personally divulge that, in a case of a four way controlled intersection, I will not stop if there is no oncoming or perpendicular traffic. I think this one requires some critical thinking and flexibility on the part of a hypothetically witnessing law enforcement agent. Although, I have yet to be cited when violating this statute, even in front of a cop, but I do stop to make sure I have time and space in these instances. This, of course, is still a violation. I think especially in Chicago, the question is not, did you violate a traffic law, but will an officer be willing to cite you for said violation. I do know this much: ignorance of the law is not a defense, hence the reason I posted this forum subject.

Juan Dominguez said:
I seem to be disobeying the law daily...
9-52-021 Riding bicycles on sidewalks–Penalty - Permalink

(a) The penalty for any person age 18 and older who rides a bicycle on the sidewalk adjacent to North Sheridan Road, between West Ardmore Avenue and West Sheridan Road (6400 north) shall be as follows: (1) the bicycle shall be temporarily disabled without permanent damage; and (2) the violator shall be subject to a fine of $50.00. (b) Following passage and approval, this section shall be in force and effect upon posting of signage notifying bicyclists of the penalty for violation of this section.
I like these ha
Added Coun. J. 2-6-02, p. 79154, § 1; Amend Coun. J. 6-4-03, p. 2538, § 1

9-52-030 Speed of bicycles - Permalink

No person shall operate a bicycle at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions then existing.

Added Coun. J. 7-12-90, p. 18634
One thing I still wonder is: what if my <12yo. is attached to my bike? i.e. trail-a-bike, trailer, bike seat.

I generally try to ride on the road, but I need to make a lot more exceptions when I'm w/my kids, which sometimes includes going the wrong way, or riding on a sidewalk for a few blocks, depending on the situation.

I smile and of course yield generously to peds.

I don't see much in that list that I violate otherwise, except for the registration provision, I wonder how many current registrations they have, 10? and if the computer could handle it if suddenly every bicyclist in the city set out to register their bikes.
Ha! The parked cars might get in the way.

h3 said:
It shouldn't be too hard to have one of our local mad bike inventors design a kid trailer that can ride on the sidewalk while you ride in the street :-)

Homebuilt said:
One thing I still wonder is: what if my <12yo. is attached to my bike? i.e. trail-a-bike, trailer, bike seat.

I generally try to ride on the road, but I need to make a lot more exceptions when I'm w/my kids, which sometimes includes going the wrong way, or riding on a sidewalk for a few blocks, depending on the situation.

I smile and of course yield generously to peds.

I don't see much in that list that I violate otherwise, except for the registration provision, I wonder how many current registrations they have, 10? and if the computer could handle it if suddenly every bicyclist in the city set out to register their bikes.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service