The Chainlink

I want your busted or unwanted bike lock to tell for sure what works best.

It's winter and I'm bored because bike mechanics don't have as much to do this time of year so I am going to try and compile some real data on which locks take the longest to defeat.  I have already destroyed some old locks we had here or did cut off for customers but more locks = more data.

If you have a broken lock, chain or cable or one you just don't want get it to me and I will destroy it and post the results here.

All locks are being attacked the following ways:

1. Wire cutters; believe it or not this will defeat most cables in 30 seconds or so.
  2. Normal bolt cutters.
  3. HUGE bolt cutters with 4' handles.
  4. Battery operated angle grinder with cut off disc.

Defeat times will be posted.

Disclaimer: Cutting in a shop environment with the lock held in a vice does not take into account the difficult position but it is a pretty good demonstration of how strong a lock is.

Views: 1971

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Results so far:

Giant branded On-Guard style lock:

• Hard to cut with standard bolt cutters.
  • Easy to cut with huge ones.
  • 13 seconds with the angle grinder.

Kryptonite gray series:

• Cannot cut with small bolt cutters.
  • VERY difficult with the large.
  • 18 seconds with the angle grinder.

Kryptonite orange series.

• Cannot cut with bolt cutters all.
  • 27 seconds with angle grinder.

On the Kryptonite orange, does 27 seconds take into account making 2 cuts? 

No, a u-lock.

Cameron Puetz said:

Is this what you mean by Giant branded On-Guard style lock?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/gear/product/surelock.armored.t...

notoriousDUG said:

Results so far:

Giant branded On-Guard style lock:

• Hard to cut with standard bolt cutters.
  • Easy to cut with huge ones.
  • 13 seconds with the angle grinder.

Kryptonite gray series:

• Cannot cut with small bolt cutters.
  • VERY difficult with the large.
  • 18 seconds with the angle grinder.

Kryptonite orange series.

• Cannot cut with bolt cutters all.
  • 27 seconds with angle grinder.

You can open them far enough to get a bike with only one cut; same for most of the on-guard locks.

Justin B Newman said:

On the Kryptonite orange, does 27 seconds take into account making 2 cuts? 

Dug, thanks for posting this! I'll have to see whether I can donate an old lock to the cause.

I have an old Kryptonite that was driving me crazy because the key really does not work very well. I have since replaced the lock but not thrown it away.  If you want it, its yours.  Its an old, old black one that had a circular key. 

I know I had given a similar lock to an ex boyfriend of my daughter. He locked his bike to our fence and lost the key.  The bike sat there for nearly a year after the relationship had ended and the guy (who was a good guy) left town. I was finally ordered to remove the sculpture.  The bic pen trick did not work.  A hacksaw did not work.  I finally rented a sawzall and it still took about 20 minutes to get through it. A mechanic friend inherited the parts.  The Frame was pretty trashed by the time I was done with it.

+1

Which angle grinder?  If the battery is fresh off the charger can you run it a bit first to simulate "field conditions?"

Also, before trying the cuts I would take a metal pole and see what happens with a simple attempt to pry it open.

For years, I've been quite curious how well the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini and also the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain hold up. I believe they are considered the best that Kryptonite offers for bicycle security. I personally own both products and my bicycles have never been stolen when these products were used properly. I'm not saying they can't possibly be defeated, I'm just saying that they must be very tough to defeat because I have parked my bikes for hours at a time, around various areas in Chicago (including somewhat risky areas), and my bikes were always still there when I returned.

Anyway, I don't have anything to donate to the OP, but I wonder if anyone reading this had their bicycle stolen while using any of the above exact products mentioned.

Cheap cordless grinder with a bad battery; I would say it is very much equal to what is in the street but, for my purposes, that does not really matter.  On the street there are a ton of other variables that can keep your bike from being stolen or hinder the cutting of the lock.  This is a test that is purely to see how strong the locks are and as long as I use the same grinder with a fresh charge the results will create a map of strength.

I will add the torsion test; that is a valid approach to defeating a lock and should be checked as well.  Where possible that will be the first attack.

If you have a lock to donate you can drop it off at Rapid Transit on North Ave.  Just tell them you're dropping it off for Doug.  If that is not convenient just contact me and I will arrange meeting up with you.

There is a lost Fahgettaboudit here but I have to wait a week or two more to make sure it goes unclaimed.

I have at least one for you that has a busted key. I keep meaning to send to the manufacter but haven't yet so at least it will go to a good forever home.

I have an old (over 10 years) Kryptonite U-lock to which I lost the keys. If you want that, you can have it. My email is goodworks@chicagobarry.com

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service