The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138509

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't sweat it. Unlike what some people believe, it's not a peeing contest about who can ride in the worst conditions.

leyzdoo said:
Dangit, you all are making me feel guilty for giving in and taking the train this morning. Alas, I may have lost the battle today, but the war has just begun.
Agreed, it's not a contest. I see it as more of a personal challenge with self.
I do, however, think it's good to encourage fellow bicycle commuters who are on the fence to commute in the cold weather and give tips as requested.

Duppie said:
Don't sweat it. Unlike what some people believe, it's not a peeing contest about who can ride in the worst conditions.

leyzdoo said:
Dangit, you all are making me feel guilty for giving in and taking the train this morning. Alas, I may have lost the battle today, but the war has just begun.
I use a face mask that is velcro around my neck, this lets me "rip" it off and stuff it in my pocket when I warm up, I also make use of opening and closing zippers on my coat as required. Another tip is to wear gloves with mittens over the top, as you warm up take off the mittens and put them in your pocket. Although I didn't get the timing of removing my facemask and unzipping my coat today, I waited until I was warm, when I should've done it when I was comfortable.

I though today's weather was nice riding, as was yesterday morning. Although I could have done without the wind on my way home last night.

Holly said:
I did it! This is my first winter riding.

I had the wrong bike (Schwinn upright instead of my MTB.) That bike is too slow! Still, it was nice because I'm really just learning how to deal with icy patches and having slow and easy control was perfect. Plus, I wasn't tempted to ride fast because on that girl bike, I can't.

On my longer stretch of my ride (about 3 1/2 miles), I felt hotter than Georgia asphalt and twice as sticky. I had on the right amount of stuff on most of the time, it was just that last 1/2 mile of slow riding that really got me hot and bothered. I got honked at three times, too, which doesn't help when you're already hot and slightly cranky.

Otherwise--YAY! Biking in winter is fun.
The war. Ha! That's one way to look at it!

leyzdoo said:
Totally with Duppie here.
And-- when did taking the train become a bad thing?

in it to win it said:
I do, however, think it's good to encourage fellow bicycle commuters who are on the fence to commute in the cold weather and give tips as requested.

Duppie said:

leyzdoo said:

That's my take too--we are here to encourage and give tips for folks who want to stay in the saddle perhaps in more conditions than they are used to. Definitely not saying we should all be *glued* to the saddle. I am so not doing a peeing content in this weather. Too many layers to fumble with ;-)

in it to win it said:

I think sheep and geese are smart little critters! With one layer of wool, a down vest, and under a soft shell, I have been warm all day. SERIOUSLY hitting thrift stores for my all-wool base layers was a very nice investment. This has been my best bike winter yet. NO STICKINESS.

Oh and for those who are on the fence, each morning when I am out there I feel such comraderie with those of you who also are on the road. I can't help but smile when I see us battling with winter together. That feeling is enough to get me out each day on my bike. RIDE ON!!!
With attitudes like this, Duppie, IITWI, Howard and Gin, how do you ever expect to win a peeing contest?

H3N3 said:

in it to win it said:

Duppie said:

leyzdoo said:
I think people would cheat at the p contest.
It's easier just to shoot a peace sign to my sisters and brothers out there in the cold with me . . .

Kevin Conway said:
With attitudes like this, Duppie, IITWI, Howard and Gin, how do you ever expect to win a peeing contest?

H3N3 said:

in it to win it said:

Duppie said:

leyzdoo said:
I took the train more than a few times last year(s) esp. when it's February a gusty wind and a temp in the teens or 20's seems a lifetime ago, plus I had an 7-8 mile one way.

Now I live what seems the perfect distance, about 4 miles where just about the time the head wind is pissing me off and my feet,fingers,face start to hurt I'm home.
Nice ride today. I can't believe I saw a guy without a hat on while riding his bike tonight. And I want to thank that dump truck for slowing while coming around the corner. I couldn't maneuver on the icy snow.
I was able to ride today. The heavy snow stopped enough, but it was still pretty slick. I rode my hybrid for the first time this year. Not really a fan, but the traction is much better, and not clicking in helps. It was 19 degrees in morning, but I was not cold at all. Glad to be back on my bike!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service