The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138526

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

+1 for mittens. I use a cheap oversized pair from costco and I've only needed to use the liners on a couple of occasions. 

Or the more practical solution is to remove the bar mitts when you go into the store so they don't fill up with cold air that needs to be re-warmed.

Eli said:

Do any of you use bar mitts?

I bought a pair of Moose Mitts and I've been a little disappointed. They work fine at first when've just taken your bike out of a warm building, but if you go into a store or restaurant and leave your bike locked outside, the handlebars get very cold very fast when it's in the single digits out (which is the only time I find myself using the mitts). When that happens, the idea that you can then wear thin gloves under the mitts goes out the window--the cold handlebars will suck all the warmth right through any thinner gloves. So you've got to wear big bulky insulated gloves (or mittens) anyway, and then there's really no point to having the mitts. I think I'm going to just get some solid windproof mittens and see how they work instead.

It's not the air that's the problem. It's the temperature of the handlebars themselves (and the grips). I know this because it is the parts of my hands that are touching the bar that get cold.

Well first you make sure you have the proper sized allen wrench...

Sorry. Can't help you with that.

Eli said:

It's not the air that's the problem. It's the temperature of the handlebars themselves. I know this because it is the parts of my hands that are touching the bar that get cold.

Eli said:

I do. Love 'em. I have a flat bar pair and a drop bar pair. I think they list for around $60, but if you're patient you can find a set on Ebay for substantially less. I got my drop bar pair for $10, new with tags.

That's actually not very practical, at least on my bike with up-turned bar ends.  Taking the mitts on and off is rather inconvenient.  Plus, like Eli said, the grips and brakes get cold and then so will your hands.  

At least for a while.  I got my Moose Mitts for Christmas and I've only used gloves a couple times, and actually found that they are counter-productive to the mitts.  Its the heat from your hands that warms the air pocket, and gloves interfere with that.  I tend to rest my hands on the grips in a loose fist, so all parts of the hand can share warmth.  Eventually the grips will warm up.  The brakes are going to stay cold for the most part.

Kevin C said:

Or the more practical solution is to remove the bar mitts when you go into the store so they don't fill up with cold air that needs to be re-warmed.

Eli said:

I bought a pair of Moose Mitts and I've been a little disappointed. They work fine at first when've just taken your bike out of a warm building, but if you go into a store or restaurant and leave your bike locked outside, the handlebars get very cold very fast when it's in the single digits out (which is the only time I find myself using the mitts). When that happens, the idea that you can then wear thin gloves under the mitts goes out the window--the cold handlebars will suck all the warmth right through any thinner gloves. So you've got to wear big bulky insulated gloves (or mittens) anyway, and then there's really no point to having the mitts. I think I'm going to just get some solid windproof mittens and see how they work instead.

Use carbon bars and brake levers and they won't be cold to the touch. 

Or switch to a unicycle! No hands!

(wasn't there a recent article with a fellow who rides even in winter on one?)

I used to use lobster gloves, but found them to be too awkward to do things like unzip my coat pocket or open my pannier. Plus, they were a pain in the ads to get on and tucked under my coat sleeve. The ski gloves I have use a cinching gauntlet that makes that much easier.

Guess you have to prioritize what is more important...warm hands while riding or dexterity for other things. I wear slightly oversized lobsters (the kind with only one finger separated from the other three) and on the coldest days I put all four fingers together for full mitten. I also keep liner gloves in my pocket so If I need to rummage around in things I can switch momentarily. Doesn't take long, doesn't feel inconvenient, I stay warm.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

I used to use lobster gloves, but found them to be too awkward to do things like unzip my coat pocket or open my pannier. Plus, they were a pain in the ads to get on and tucked under my coat sleeve. The ski gloves I have use a cinching gauntlet that makes that much easier.

With Specialized Subzero's, my hands sweat with no liner above 10, my hands sweat with the liner to -20 or lower.  I have found toe warmers to be useless.  I think they need oxygen or something, I put them in my shoes 30 minutes before I leave, 10 minutes into the ride I can't feel any warmth.   For shoes I need a thick insulated Gore Tex shoe, but Gore Tex thick insulation only comes in boots not a shoe :(  .  Shoe covers over my cycling shoes with a thick sock and liner I can ride to about 20.  Gore Tex leather shoes, thick Smartwools and polypro liner I'm good to -10.  

These looks sweet, but jeez, $$$$$ and only 200g of insulation.

http://45nrth.com/products/softgoods/wolvhammer 

After searching the Gore-Tex site for 600g insulation, these look worthy

http://www.wolverine.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/11442M/19771/Men...

Its really too bad, most of my body can handle this weather, its my damn toes that get cold!  I'll find a solution eventually. 

Rode today on my new DIY studded front tire, what a world of difference.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service